CB RADIO ANTENNA

• Ok so I went ahead and bout the Cb and got everything I needed.

The question at stake is the antenna.

The guy gave me a bracket and said "sand the paint and mount it here" (pointing abovet the passenger side rear tailight...)

I don't like this idea becuase I worry about rusting...and frankly I don't WANT to drill holes in the jeep. I was thinking about doing the behind the taillight mount on the drivers side...(quadratec has one)...and I heard do it on the bumper...but i heard from him you cannot get a good ground on the CB on the bumper.

The main cause is I do not want to sand and drill anything on there. I have found a couple of spare tire mounts...but my concern is getting the ground.

What all do you recomend.....its an 05 TJ. Does anyone have a picture of there antenna set up?

• Any of the above will work.

A good ground is essential.

I went with a NGP (No Ground Plane) Firestik because it does not require it to be grounded and works well on vehicles that do not have large flat horizontal surfaces to provide a ground plane.

Mine is mounted to the spare tire carrier using a small piece of flat stock with a hole drilled thru it.

• I drilled one out one of the holes in my back bumper that used to hold on my bumperettes. For on the trails it works ok - and that's the only time I use it. That being said, I am still going to try to ground it better or get one that doesnt need a ground. I didn't know they existed until I read Keith's post.

And I would definately go with a Firestik.

• I went with the spare tire carrier mount from Quadratec and mine works great. I tested it one day with a buddy and we ended up being five miles apart before it started to break up. Hope this helps.
    Steve

• Go to http://www.firestik.com/index.htm and talk to a customer service rep. They are very helpful and will help you get everything you need. Check out their website, it has dozens of mounts to chose from. I would just mount it to the rear bumper, you should be able to get a good ground there as long as you are mounting it to metal, not plastic. Several people in the club have it mounted in that location.

I have a 3' and 4' Firestick Firefly antenna mounted behind the right rear taillight on the liberty. I was hesitant about drilling holes in the Jeep but got over it. Take your time and you wont have any problems, thats what I did.

Brian

• I ordered a above the tailight mount from q-tech...and a ground strap for a 97-05 TJ...he says it will come with directions to be able to expalin it. The antenna the guy sold me was a wilson fiberglass antenna...VERY flexable....is that the right one?

• ...also, make sure that the top of the antenna is over the highest point of the top of your Jeep. If it isn't you'll cook your CB. I did, and so did my bro. Since then I've gotten a longer antenna, and a juiced CB... :suspicious: 30 watts peaked and clipped!

• Quote from "joshnextre"

R & R informed me that the no-ground plane will only work a mile ahead and mile in front of ya... so it looks like that is out of the option...

Unless you're looking to pick up truckers, you will never be talking more than a mile anyway.

I've brought up the tail end on several trail runs and highway caravans and have never had a problem talking to the leader.

And isn't "ahead" and "in front of" the same thing?

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Unless you're looking to pick up truckers, you will never be talking more than a mile anyway.

Very true, most of us have no need for any real distance range on our CB's. However, I have mine set up so that I can get distance on it. There are times when it comes in handy. Loose someone at paragon? Trying to get in touch with a late arrival back at the staging area? How about GWNF... or just chatting with the truckers. Its nice knowing where traffic is backed up, or the cops are hiding. :D

• from what i heard about tuning cb's for more power...it only really helps in the x-mitting department. nothing is boosted as far as reception goes. so that long lost person at the staging area may hear you - but you'd never hear them unless they have their cb tuned for more power as well.
    chris (maybe way off :shrug: )

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Ohh so is that why yours is so high :doh:

• Quote from "Keith_C"

I've brought up the tail end on several trail runs and highway caravans and have never had a problem talking to the leader.

And isn't "ahead" and "in front of" the same thing?

They are just nasty vile creatures. Repuke I didn't think you were allowed to talk like that on the CB. Sniffle

I turn mine on in the morning to hear what the traffic is like to try to get around it before I get stuck in it.

• speaking of CB antennas... I went out this morning to install a CB we had laying in our garage, and now I can't find the antenna. :shrug:

hehe ah well, I get to visit the friendly staff at RadiosHack again. Hmm, maybe I could have one of my friends use his employee discount. :tup: either that, or take 40 seconds to find the silly thing.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I put my el cheapo antenna on the passenger side mirror mover temporarily. It worked really well this weekend. I'd leave it there, but I need the mirror mover when my doors are off. Still figuring out how I'll do the permanent mount.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Higher is always better.

That's why we monkies live in the trees.

I guess all that thin air affected your spelling. Or is that a secret thing you monkeys do to throw off the humans? :cool:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• I'd put it on the back of the Jeep so it won't get scraped when getting too close to a tree. You can make a mount easily out of some metal angle, but they are cheap enough to buy as well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!