Welding 101

• anyone got any good links I can read up on for the basics or 101's of arc, mig, and tig welding? The differences, positives/negatives and such. Also hopefully something not so technical a beginner or newb would understand? Thanks for the Info! Also If you have any Info to add I wouldnt mind hearing....Was thinking about possibly taking a welding 101 class at deltech next semester since I'll have some free space. Gota decide which type of welding is right for me.

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• well I dont know If theres a class per say, but in the new book theres either a class or a certification course...theres beginners and advanced I believe.

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• cecil county community offers welding classes

85 cj7 4&quot; suspension 1&quot; body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9&quot; / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• oh yea a question for those who know...after my personal research the main opinion of those who weld is go 220v or go home...If you dont have access to that special outlet and only have the basic 115v-120v outlet in the household, are there any welders out there that are worth the dollar? Research shows Its the amps vs the duty cycle % that matters?

• Quote from "XJ99"

oh yea a question for those who know...after my personal research the main opinion of those who weld is go 220v or go home...If you dont have access to that special outlet and only have the basic 115v-120v outlet in the household, are there any welders out there that are worth the dollar? Research shows Its the amps vs the duty cycle % that matters?

115V MIG welders can do a lot. But a lot less than 230V models.

No such thing as a decent 115V stick welder.

• I have an old red box stick welder. It's not the prettiest thing but it's 220V and seems to work fine for me.

Stick welding is more difficult to learn and takes getting used to(compared to MIG). But a pipe fitter at work once told me that if you're welding thicker metals (I think he meant >¼") you need a stick welder.

Mig will probably do everything most people need. I got a stick welder because it was free and free is always good.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• From my limited experience welding i can say this, and anyone correct me if im wrong. TIG welding is the hardest to learn, and is used mostly for aluminum (actually i think its the only way to weld aluminum) and is way more expensive. MIG is easiest to learn esp. if you get flux core wire so you don't even have to mess with gas, and is good for thinner metal like body work and exaust pipes, but for that i prefer oxy-acetylene personally. you can weld alot thicker metals with stick, but there ALOT of different types of rods you can get for a stick welder, even ones that cut or gouge instead of weld, so you need to make sure you have the right one. If you try to weld thin metals with a stick welder and are not decently proficient then you will most likely blow a big hole in whatever you are working on. I haven't really had any luck running nice beads with any welders under the 220v ones. just my 2 cents. hope it helps. :peace:

• hey deltech does offer a welding cours well they did when i went there for the first two years of my mech eng degree. and the teachers there are awsome i can remeber mines last name but hes the collest guy ever. umm types of welding and stuff; stick is good for thick metal but its kinda poppy untill you get good. mig weather its gas shelided or not is good for littler stuff depenind on how big of a weilder you go the gas type portect the weild from getting debris in it while it cool and keeps the weld from rustin, tig which i thouth was easyest actually is real good for aluminm and other detaled work casue you use the weilder wiht one hand and you can control the power wiht a foot pedal and you have a filler rod in the other. you can tig any kinda metal you can mig aluminm too but its done best wiht tig. and thats about all i can really remember from my advanced mechineing class

• You are correct in that TIG is the hardest to learn only in that you have the most control over it. You can MIG aluminum, TIG is just prefered as it gives the best heat control, same with sheet metal.

From my experience and I have wasted alot of money to gain this experience, I say that buying any MIG less than 175 amp is a waste. I owned a 135 amp mig and 2 175 amp mig machines and if I have any advice to give it is don't waste your money on a small machine if you plan on doing any extensive work. ie bumpers cages suspensions. If you just want a knock around machine to play with, get a 135, just don't expect much if you are welding anything more than sheet metal.

If a couple of people want to come over and put some scrap together, I will offer up my MIG. All I would ask is enough $$ to cover my consumables. 3 to 4 people would be max and I AM BY NO MEANS A WELDING EXPERT OR TEACHER. THis would be for you to get a feel for welding, lay a few beads. I have 2 helmets so it gives you a chance to watch as well. A saturday afternoon will probably be best.....

• i looked into taking a class but never got motivated enough to take it anywhere

my advice is to buy a book, read it, and practice
    find a friend with a welder, offer to pay for the gas/rods/sticks/etc. and use it (before you decide to buy)

i'm lucky enough to have had a TIG/Stick availble to me to use/learn on.
    I love TIG and prefer it to stick anyday, but you need to keep a tank of argon which takes up space and is expensive if you dont use it. I've never used a MIG but i know lots of people that bought little units that have done everything they've asked of it, and its really easy to learn/use (supposidly *never used one).

i'd still like to take a class, and it would be fun to do one with some DEJA guys. so if you dig up any info let me know. I'm good with the TIG/Stick on steel but i'd like to learn Aluminum. i've tried it a few times to little success.

****remeber when your welding/learning/or just watching someone****
    wear a mask with a tinted lense for welding, not sunglasses, not tinted saftey glasses. and if your exposed to the light from the arc for a while it will give you sunburn so cover up those arms.

• Quote from "rdjp94"

I'm game for your welding class... whats tuition??
    ill even bring the scrap metal.... got plenty of that...

ditto, no metal, but I'll hook you up with whatever else you need. I"m just trying to look and learn and maybe even som hands on stuff, see if i really want to take class on it.

• i bought a book a couple years back on welding and read through it. It seemed to give all the knowledge you could gain from taking a class, beyond that it just looks like you need to put some time in to get the right technique. I also wanted to get a welder and start learing the skills, and everything seemed to show that a 220v mig was the best all around tool for someone especially with limited experience. I never went through with it, but thats what i found after spending a good bit of time looking into things.

• I bought a 100 amp Lincoln mig about 9 months ago. It is 110v. Over the past eight months I have occassionally picked up a couple pieces of steel and welded them together. No schools, no training, no books, just started welding. I have to disagree with anyone that says 110v is only good for sheet metal. I have welded 1/4 inch plate steel to 1/4 in plate steel on two occassions with great results. 1/4 inch steel is definately pushing it to the limit, but with a little pre heating and some experience it is definately possible. I say go for it. Welding has been a blast for me and it is very easy to get the hang of it. Here is a pic of my most recent weld....1/4 in to 1/4 in steel.

• Most instructors will tell you you will make a "pretty" weld before you make a "good" weld.

The smaller migs can make some great looking welds, whether there is sufficient penetration is the question.

And I'm not questioning your abilities, but I've seen people make nice looking welds and when you hit it with a hammer it breaks apart.

• I'd pry like a MIG, I know everyone says buy a good one first and dont waste the money but right now Im living with my parents and dont have the space to go all out or I definatley would. In my future life I forsee a very well equipped garage but for now I want a small welder that I wont go broke on, but I can still play around a bit, I dont expect to make bumpers or cages but maybe some smalls repairs or fixing up things is my only task for now. I basically want to get the hang of things. Im going to keep my eye on ebay. So If I can find a 110-115v mig that's somewhere between 100-175amps I should be set for learning? Turtle definatley Interested in what your brought up!

• I have been a certified welder since 87. You want a 220v system if you can get it. the 110v doesnt give good enough pen on 1/4" and wouldnt trust it on high stress areas. The cheapest bet is a stick. 250 bucks for a lincoln at lowes and for the harry home owner it cant be beat. learn to stick and you can do anything. stick just isnt good for body work. u do not want flux core mig for body work either. gas is easy to adjust and use.
    Tig is nice if you can afford the machine. Gives the best quality welds.
    If you do buy a Mig get a good name brand so you can get parts when needed.

And with a high Zoot mig you can get the same penetration as a stick. just can do it with the little buz boxes. now to buy one of those you'd be around 4-10 thousand bucks. But talk about smooth!

• mig is with the gun correct and the wire feeds threw and comes out the end? Tugboat has one I think, Its a lincoln, I used It one time and boy was It nice, well nice enough for what I need.

so is stick when you have the rod in one hand and the gun in the other that heats up the stick to lay beads? What makes It so much harder? Because you have to hold both and keep contacted close to lay good beads?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!