the "Jeep wave"

• So I haven't had a Wrangler in about 4-5 years and I just got another one 5 days ago. So far not one person has returned a wave.. is this a thing of the past?

This subject comes up once or twice a year and the threads always follow the same exact path. The wave is alive and well as far as I can tell. I still get more waves than non-waves. People will try to blame the popularity of the JK but some people just don't wave no matter what type of Jeep.

• I have noticed more non waving drivers of YJ's recently..perhaps they dont feel the JK is a real jeep...

Does DEJA still do the monkey game?

• Does DEJA still do the monkey game?

No. I remember the drama and the tantrums from that game. It's a shame a fun game was ruined.

FWIW, if anyone can catch me, I will be more than happy to roll with the monkey Avatar because I'd deserve it. ;)

• nah, the monkey thing died off... but I still get a fair number of waves from other Wranglers, better return ratio from JKs than the other years.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• OK... does it seem like "customized" jeeps wave more than non? All I can figure is, those r the people who r in the jeep lifestyle... not just a jeep owner. Maybe the noobs just don't know...

• Yes and no...Customized jeeps seem to wave alot..including liberty and cherokee drivers......it's in the blood i think, however i would say a lot of stock wranglers, driven by anyone 30+ rank high on the wave list perhaps it's the kids/significant others "borrowing" a jeep that don't get it...My wife even waves if i miss one..LOL

• i stopped waving mainly because i stopped paying attention to every jeep coming the other way. too many soccer moms with jk's and what seems yo boys with tj's built by quadratec. If someone waves i wave back for sure, but it just seems that the community has changed.... that and im jaded hehehe.

The conversations with people i bump into make me laugh more and more recently.
    I was at some sandwhich shop a few weeks ago and some guy mid 20's looks at me and says hey do you go to the beach with that. at first i was like wtf are you talking about until i put it together in my head. I was like nope never do i hate all the tourists. So after looking at me funny he says is it a 4cyln (now you gotta know that until the other day i didnt have any stickers on the side of the jeep so yes you would think its a 4clyn)? I kinda giggled and said nope not a 4cyln. So he says so its the 4.0? Nope its all chevy. at that point he looked so confused you could tell he didnt know what to say.

Now i know you could say i was being a bit of a dick..... i am one so no surprise. Now if he had said something like oh chevy cool what are you runnin or could hold an intelligent conversation other then knowing whats on pg 14 of the quad catalog it would have been different.

anyone else feeln the same way? or did i just offend everyone who came home and ran for the new catalog that just showed up today? hehehe :roflmao:

• anyone else feeln the same way? or did i just offend everyone who came home and ran for the new catalog that just showed up today? hehehe :roflmao:

People do different things with their Jeeps. Some beach, some mud, some rocks, etc. I could care less if you are a mall crawler with a Quadratec lift. Hell I AM that guy with my JK. :)
    If someone waves, I wave back. If someone wants to ask me questions that I think are simple, I'll answer them. :shrug:

There are always rigs that are better built out there and I've learned a lot from people with WAY nicer builds than mine. They took the time to answer my questions that were probably simple to them and I'm thankful for that. ;)

I'm suppose to wave?

You and Stafford get a free pass. You need both hands on the wheel to prevent the death wobble. :razz:

• i agree with KnoxRents on this one, I don't care what kind of jeep you have, i wave to them all and most wave back, what's Q'tec have to do with the wave anyway, did I miss something? questions are good, you gotta start somewhere............ :shrug:

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• i agree with KnoxRents on this one, I don't care what kind of jeep you have, i wave to them all and most wave back, what's Q'tec have to do with the wave anyway, did I miss something? questions are good, you gotta start somewhere............ :shrug:

Some people seem to despise others who bought a lift kit instead of welding up some conduit to make their own control arms, then finding long-enough springs in a junk yard. I don't understand it really, store-bought lift kits will perform better than 99% of home-built lifts. Same deal with bumpers, unless you're happy with a 2x6" box tube bumper, then most people don't have the time to spend bending, welding, grinding, test-fit then start over to build a bumper of the same quality that you can buy.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• sorry i didnt mean to stretch this off topic.

Let me clarify, i dont think there is anything wrong with quadratec, its like any distributor of parts. I order parts from there myself sometimes.

I guess im talking about the guys that their "mods" revolve around what quadratec advertises. You know what im talking about... the guys that think they have a "custom lift" cause they bought springs from one guy and shocks from another.

I love talkn to guys that want to learn or are genuinely interested in how or why something was done. Thats how i got started, talkin to a guy with a jeep who pointed me in the right direction.

.....cool jeep bro! heheheh

• Some people seem to despise others who bought a lift kit instead of welding up some conduit to make their own control arms, then finding long-enough springs in a junk yard. I don't understand it really, store-bought lift kits will perform better than 99% of home-built lifts. Same deal with bumpers, unless you're happy with a 2x6" box tube bumper, then most people don't have the time to spend bending, welding, grinding, test-fit then start over to build a bumper of the same quality that you can buy.

didnt see this till after my post..... i have nothing against buying stuff. Yes if i need a lift im gonna buy what i need cause i dont have time to f with reinventing the wheel. companies have done the engineering for you. Have i built suspensions from scratch, yep when needed. Do i think buying an RE(or whoever) long arm makes life easier... absolutely!!!

I dont have a problem with anyone who buys stuff.... that wasnt what i was trying to say. Im talking about the guys that glaze over when they ask a question that isnt answered with what catalog showed me what i needed to buy.

• just remembered a good story.... Prolly like 4 years ago i was standing in Dunkin one sunday morning.... I was driving my dads jeep on 33's that mornin. this guy comes in and asks me how i got the spare tire on the back. So i told him that i just threw it on there..... i was a bit confused. He was like you cant do that it wont fit..... im like uhhh what do you mean its on there. he is still saying but you cant do that without the oversized tire adapter..... im like oversized what!?!?!? WTF are you talking about. You know the one in quadtratec.... it says you need that if you are running a bigger tire then stock. Palm to forehead. So i spend 10 min explainin to the guy what he needs to do to get the tire on and the 3rd brakelight right and all that good stuff. he finally tells me that he will just order the bracket. Im like dude go spend 2 bucks at ace and be done with it.

Later in telling this story to a buddy of mine i found out who the guy was.... a local guy who bought a 06 rubicon spent probably 20k all straight outa quadratec of every bolt on item you can think of. he would evidently go into a shop here in town with the catalog tell the guys in there what he was buying and would have them bolt it all on for him.

They loved seeing him because he got overcharged for everything because he wouldnt listen to anyone if it wasnt something that was in the catalog.

• Who cares how or where a lift or any other mod was done on a jeep??? If someone spends 20k on bolt on parts, If someone spends 5k on 24" wheels, or if someone spends countless hours fabbing there own parts, they do it because they love owning a jeep...I wave to every open body jeep... Could care less if they wave back or not though 80% do and most of that 80% is the mall-crawling soccer mom JK owners

• Who cares how or where a lift or any other mod was done on a jeep??? If someone spends 20k on bolt on parts, If someone spends 5k on 24" wheels, or if someone spends countless hours fabbing there own parts, they do it because they love owning a jeep...I wave to every open body jeep... Could care less if they wave back or not though 80% do and most of that 80% is the mall-crawling soccer mom JK owners

Amen! I don't know much about my JK, it came with a small lift and big rims and tires, but I'm very content with it. Everyone has different ideas behind their jeeps! I'm honestly going to say I like my JK way better than I liked my old TJ, and I like I don't have to always be fixing something with only a minor lift. (Granted mines a mall crawler and it will probably barely see off road for awhile)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!