I wanna make my jeep mud ready!

• Hey dja i have a 95 yj 4.0 with a busted manual tranny. The drive shaft was repaired wrong any boy it messed EVERYTHING up. This coming spring i want to swap it out. The thing is i want to put some monster tires on this thing and jack it up. Can anyone explain or send me a helpful link on what kind of tranny/transfer case i should upgrade to in order to handle some 40 plus inch tires and a large lift kit? While I'm in there what else should i change out? Rears? leafs? I might be over thing it but I just want to do it right and make sure its right this jeep means a lot to me. Any advice is helpful! Thanks and happy holidays!

• This sounds like either someone trolling, or some young newbie. I bite and go with young newbie.

First thing you want to do is research and learn. The next thing is to do is a get a big hammer bust open your piggy bank and count your pennies. You will need quite a few. If you have $5-10k to toss at your jeep , for sure you can go big. I suspect just getting your Jeep right will cost enough.

NP transfer case should be fairly easy to get, trans might cost you $500 or so plus clutch. New rear driveshaft, you might find one used, or get yours rebuilt right. Or go new. Get it fixed first.

Then go wheeling. Learn what you can do, go rock crawling on a club run. Take your time and really figure out what you want to do. Not many of us do mud. It will pretty much trash your Jeep.

Ask anyone who has built a big jeep on the board. It take a lot of time and money and even more learning.

Good luck on your quest young one.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• yeah i agree with deadfeat its better to read up on what you want and get the jeep running sound first before doing any upgrades to it. but vlp29 just come down to my house if you have a question havent pointed you in the wrong direction yet.

• Lol yeah i do get that. ive been saving a while by spring i can put some coin into it. I just want to get as much into it while im fixing it. Drive shaft and t case are fixed up im just not sure what tranny i need to start on that. If im going to but big tires and a lift kit on it i want to make sure i dont need to buy another transmission when im ready to do that.

• I have a 91 yj and will say this drive train alone I got about 4k into it thats including sye lift lockers driveshaft and etc. Also a axle swap which is being done this week.... look at atleast 400-500$ a tire for good mud tires I know.guys who wheel in the barrens and thats a mud pit like no other. Also plan on a regear which will run you 600$ roughly just for.install kits and r&p... anything above a 35 on a dana 30 your gonna want chromolly shafts... and that dana 35 trust me from seeing it with my own eyes at the barrens when they break they.break there aint.no getting home. Seriously 10k is light I can say including jeep I got about 11k tied up so far. And mine is.no where near.built like some of.the other poster in this topic. Dig deep son.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• haha damn so itll be a little more than i had thought but i appricate all the good advice. its been real helpful and i know what to save for. by spring ill be about halfway there, hopefully... i do have plenty of time to fix her up though

• What you'll want to do is look to source your parts by buying parts vehicles. Grab the parts you want (drive train parts mostly) and then part out what's left of the parts vehicles to get as much of your investment back that you can. I've done that with a few parts vehicles. With some careful shopping you can get lucky.

For mudding and 40" tires I'd probably look at full size trucks to grab Dana 60s or something.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• There is no such thing as "mud ready", believe me I speak from experience and have a couple members here that can back me up ....lol...the deeper the mud, the more sh*t you are going to be replacing.....3 1/2 months after doing some serious mud I finally almost have my jeep back to 100 percent operational with almost no problems left. :bang:

• There is no such thing as "mud ready", believe me I speak from experience and have a couple members here that can back me up ....lol...the deeper the mud, the more sh*t you are going to be replacing.....3 1/2 months after doing some serious mud I finally almost have my jeep back to 100 percent operational with almost no problems left. :bang:

You will just mess it up again!

[youtube]pmIm87u6VEQ[/youtube]

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

:safeyet .....almost 6 months for me! Hoping to get it all buttoned up with the warm weather the next few days.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!