State of emergency TAXI.

• It was closed due to Tugboat moving.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I haven't heard about it at Christiana, but a lot of the more critical staff have 4x4/AWD vehicles or will carpool with somebody who does. And if people can't leave, the hospitals will arrange beds/cots for them between shifts (there's a number to call for that). And, to the state, all hospital employees are considered essential. Just show our hospital badge if we get pulled over during the Level 2 driving restriction.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• My wife's relief came in so she got to come home. A friend opted to work extra and cot it there because she lives in Townsend. They aren't allowed to leave unless they are releaved.

My wife said that the transportation service isn't offered to nurses. She thinks it's only to physicians.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• My wife's relief came in so she got to come home. A friend opted to work extra and cot it there because she lives in Townsend. They aren't allowed to leave unless they are releaved.

My wife said that the transportation service isn't offered to nurses. She thinks it's only to physicians.

Should be offered to all of them. Surprised nobody picked this up after tugboat.

• Considering the amount of snow we typically get now it's probably an un-needed service.

x2....I'm normally out during State of Emergency situations and I have never heard a Dr, Nurse, or anyone else complain about not being able to get to work. You can either get there, you can't, or your employer will provide you with transportation.

• [IMO] Unfortunately the ETV became more about Tugboat wanting recognition and self gratification than actually providing a service.

He still owes DEJA for 2 books of stamps we provided so he could mail out the cards, which he never did.

Realistically, if the ETV ever did fill a genuine need, that need is no longer there, and logistically and legally (liability-wise) it's much simpler for people to find a way to work in one of the ways mentioned in previous posts.

I have never heard a Dr, Nurse, or anyone else complain about not being able to get to work. You can either get there, you can't, or your employer will provide you with transportation.

Funny how this topic is always about getting the nurses and Drs TO the hospital but never home FROM the hospital. :laughing: Whole new motivation to get the hell out of Dodge than there is to get there.

Actually some would rather take the OT (if it's not forced) than risk driving.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Funny how this topic is always about getting the nurses and Drs TO the hospital but never home FROM the hospital. :laughing: Whole new motivation to get the hell out of Dodge than there is to get there.

Actually some would rather take the OT (if it's not forced) than risk driving.

Lol. My wife didn't mind me having to get up and take her to work every time it snowed. After making her sleep there one night she got real motivated to buy something 4wd.

• Funny how this topic is always about getting the nurses and Drs TO
    the hospital but never home FROM the hospital. Whole new
    motivation to get the hell out of Dodge than there is to get there.

The official (and by official I do mean government) standpoint is that
    there is NO justification for leaving a functioning, safe, hospital or care
    center. However there is a need to replace and supplement caregivers AT
    said center. That being said there will never be a sanctioned organization
    to aid in the removal of emergency care personnel, only to get them to it.

About a decade ago (I think Tug may have spearheaded that campaign as
    well now that I think about it) after Deja bowed out I began researching
    development of a team whose only goal was to provide transportation in
    areas of crisis (snow, hurricane, ect...) It was basically designed as
    vehicular support for FEMA and the Red Cross. Long story short, as a
    long term project the costs associated with maintaining and operating
    were unbelievably... astronomically... high.

Back to topic at hand though - if you decide to pursue this on your own,
    even something as simple as helping a friend, be warned that you hold
    ALL liability for that person, their safety, and their well-being. Running
    into a ditch with a stranger has the possibility of leading into a million-
    dollar lawsuit, and NO ONE, not the hospital or your insurance company,
    will come to your support. A hospital may "say" it wants the help, may
    even set up dispatch on your behalf, but the official word from Beebe,
    Bay Health, Christiana, and Salisbury is that ONLY national guard has
    approval to provide transportation to its employees.

Its nice to want to help someone out in time of need, but remember, there
    are people out there who consider you their best bet at a secure retirement.

• Back in the beginning during a 30" snowstorm, I spent a good 5 hours picking up docs and nurses from their homes and delivering them to Kent General...while also bringing docs and nurses back to their homes in the surrounding Dover area. I had the DeJA card we had created for the purpose on me and was being dispatched directly from the Kent General main desk. The desk was calling me to provide the names and addresses of people that I was shuttling both ways. :shrug:

I also shuttled about 20 residents of a halfway house outside of Harrington to the small hotel in Harrington when the water lines froze in their house - baseboard water heat. Kent General dispatched me as the house had call 911 for rescue and the hospital didn't have a vehicle that could make it down the road to the house. So maybe not a sanctioned organization in the future, but there was one in the past.

• At the very end of the ETV Tugboat told the main problem was that the hospitals did not want the liability.

I would guess that after their lawyers gave it some thought, they decided it wasn't worth it.

• At the very end of the ETV Tugboat told the main problem was that the hospitals did not want the liability.

Certainly understandable.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ... but there was one in the past.

See, that was one of the issues - there wasn't. Like Keith said,
    the hospitals never took any responsibility for the drivers or the
    passengers... and that was never made clear to anyone. We all
    assumed that there was a gentlemans agreement in place to
    cover each others ass if something went sideways - in the end
    all of the responsibility (and liability) rested soley on the shoulders
    of the driver.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!