M416 1/4 ton military trailer....

• Thanks Andrew! Glad the subject of wheel hubs came up, because I was wondering how I was going to deal with that if I got an HF trailer.

Keith, I'll check out Tractor Supply. By coincidence, my little utility trailer came from there and I'm pretty happy with it. I am definitely looking for something with a reasonably strong axle. I like the Dinoot trailers a lot, but probably not in the cards at this time. Besides, it would be good to work on my welding skills.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Well, during lunch yesterday I went to TNJ Murray in Dover....your friendly neighborhood all-you-can-eat military vehicle surplus store. They had two M416s in stock. I forgot my cell phone, and the sales manager PROMISED to snap some pics and send them to me. I'm still waiting. Anyway, like any 40-year-old trailer, the best of the two needs some work. He thinks he can get "the boss" to come down to $600. I'm thinking of low balling him with a $500 offer, but I'd like to hear from the peanut gallery on this one.

BTW, there are lots of the newer, larger Army utility trailers at Murray. (Being a good warrant officer, I ought to know the proper nomenclature, but I don't.) They are truly bad-a$$, but their empty weight is around 1,600 pounds, I think, and they are very wide. They are pristine and are less expensive than the beat-up M416s!! So, if that's your thing, you really need to get over there...Persimmon Tree Lane in Dover.

• Well, during lunch yesterday I went to TNJ Murray in Dover....your friendly neighborhood all-you-can-eat military vehicle surplus store. They had two M416s in stock. I forgot my cell phone, and the sales manager PROMISED to snap some pics and send them to me. I'm still waiting. Anyway, like any 40-year-old trailer, the best of the two needs some work. He thinks he can get "the boss" to come down to $600. I'm thinking of low balling him with a $500 offer, but I'd like to hear from the peanut gallery on this one.

BTW, there are lots of the newer, larger Army utility trailers at Murray. (Being a good warrant officer, I ought to know the proper nomenclature, but I don't.) They are truly bad-a$$, but their empty weight is around 1,600 pounds, I think, and they are very wide. They are pristine and are less expensive than the beat-up M416s!! So, if that's your thing, you really need to get over there...Persimmon Tree Lane in Dover.

I'm hoping Brian Hoyt will chime in here. I'm pretty sure bought like that you will have a helluva time getting it through DMV.

• I'm hoping Brian Hoyt will chime in here. I'm pretty sure bought like that you will have a helluva time getting it through DMV.

Yeah.

The military doesn't title their trailers and DE DMV isn't going to birth one for you.

And the old standby of registering in Maine is drying up too.

• Wonder if you can get it titled as home made. That is how mine is titled.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I visited both HF and TSC to review my trailer options. The smallest TSC trailer (4x6) is a full-blown trailer, so I'd need to remove the screen mesh floor and angle iron railing to get to my build starting point. Grinding off all the mesh screen welds alone is a lot of work. It happens that I already own that exact TSC trailer; you may recall that I once took it to GWNF loaded with camping gear.sup

HF doesn't offer exactly what I want, but I was thinking of doing one of two options with their frames. 1. Get the basic 4' unit and beef it up with some added supports and a larger axle with 5-lug wheels. I believe that would be a perfect fit for the Dinoot tub if I ever wanted to go that direction. 2. Get the largest HF unit, which comes with a heavier axle and 5-lug wheels, and cut it down to my preferred box length. That unit will cost about $300 using the standard 20 percent coupon. It would entail relocating the axle/springs, but that seems straightforward. It should be more than sturdy enough to support a folding tent setup, complete with two consenting adults and a giant adjustable man-wrench.

The foggy icehole from Murray Surplus still has not called me or sent me pictures, so I'm getting an attitude now and am leaning away from doing business with them. Unless he calls and gives me a super sweetheart deal, they can keep their beat-up, rusty-ass M416.

• BTW, there are lots of the newer, larger Army utility trailers at Murray. (Being a good warrant officer, I ought to know the proper nomenclature, but I don't.) They are truly bad-a$$, but their empty weight is around 1,600 pounds, I think, and they are very wide. They are pristine and are less expensive than the beat-up M416s!! So, if that's your thing, you really need to get over there...Persimmon Tree Lane in Dover.

M116A3....3/4 and 1 Ton. Not quite as heavy.....But yes on the wide.

• Cool! Is that real that it only weighs 800 lbs empty? What does something like this cost?

Check out reply#3 in this thread.
    They sell them on an online auction right around the The Port of Wilm ( Just letting you know I'm no way affiliated with these people ) Most of the time right around $500 depending on condition.....I've been thinking about getting one to haul firewood out of the woods ....Of coarse I need to get one of the 5 Ton tractors they sell too...You know, to help out with the wood recovery......Wish me luck with the wife. :mrgreen: [size=78%] [/size]

• Just chiming in... I'd like to have a good off-road trailer if I do another expedition out west again. Currently toying with one of those small military trailers with a wood lid and hinged fold-out wooden floor panels to give an elevated platform for sleeping bags and retaining storage access under. Then a 10x10 ez-up with walls to surround the trailer for sleeping. Seems like a much cheaper alternative to a roof-top tent.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Ohh my.... :o http://www.govliquidation.com/…nId=8404031&convertTo=USD

Looks at that?!?!?! What would you have to do to get one of those through DMV? Wonder what that would look like behind the DMV.

Very difficult. If nothing else listen to what multiple people are saying. If there in no title u have a very very slim chance of passing the dedmv. U may be able to do an out of state thing but understand u may be wasting your time. Last trailer i had with not title, but had a vin that was tracable in de, i was able to get a reissued title through a shop that specializes in abandoned car stuff. That took over $500 and a year to complete. Btw if u throgh a farm tag on it u are just asking to get pulled over. Most cops are not dump and will see an easy ticket expecially if u cross state lines.

• Jim,

Another option worth looking at is to build one from scratch.

I built a 5'x10' utility trailer a few years back and it was a great project.

Google "trailer plans" and you will find a lot you can purchase and even if you choose to customize it to your needs it makes for an easy start.

And avoid the temptation to use an old boat trailer or even an axle from one, they really aren't well suited to what you are looking to do.

Save all your receipts and then you can go to DMV and get a "home made" title.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!