Airing down?

• New guy here! Lookin' for some Jeep'n wisdom. Down in Lewes for the week and first time driving on a beach in 20+ years. SOFT STUFF! Went on the beach below Herring Point and it wasn't to bad. Next stop was a little North of that, can't think of the entrance name, same park(airing station there). Felt like we could get stuck real fast. Like within the first 10'. Needed 4L and reverse to get out. Must be something to this airing down concept? Runnin' Bridgestone REVO's AT 31x10.5/6cyl/5sp.
    Is this usual for the area?

• Delaware's beaches are really soft. I live in Rehoboth and I have always aired down. I usually air down to about 15-20 psi. I do that for all of my Jeeps and trucks.

• Thanks for info. I stopped and picked a low pressure tire gauge this afternoon. Will air down tonight or tomorrow. Will keep ya posted. Thanks again!

• hey Jeff, how is your vacation going? Porter's is sure missing you! :razz: :driving: :bsflag: :spinrhead: :wavey:

Hope all is well buddy.....

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

Edited once, last by IRONHIDE (Lt. Flav) ().

• Where the crossings meet the beach are usually the loosest spots.

We haven't had a whole lot of rain of late either.

As long as you can realize when you start to sink and let off and back out you are good.

• as to airing down, I spend a couple weeks a tear in OBX but I stay in the 4wd access only and this year we saw a guy is an F-350 on 44's. this A**hole would ride down the beach in 2 wheel and completely spin the tires causing very deep soft sand that the unsuspecting/unexperienced beach drivers would drive right into. the F-350 guy would then approach them and offer to pull them out for a fee. The cops finally saw him doing this and stopped him but back to the point, none of the trucks (mostly stock) had any problems when aired down the others sank badly. I drive on the beach a decent amount (in DE, NC, and VA) in both an 03 wrangler (31's) and an 00 WJ (stock) and always use my braun deflaters set at 15 PSI and have never had a problem. The last week a spent in NC in june, I watched as approximately 100 trucks get stuck on the beach in front of the house in the week and none were aired down. I think the tow company ($125.00 per tow) is involved in a conspiracy with the house rental companies so they don't tell the renters to air down their tires. I think most of the renters have no idea what they are getting into when they rent a vacaton house that requires a 10 mile drive down the beach as the only way to reach the house. there are no paved roads. just my .02 on airing down

• with my revo's i dont air down at all. 30 psi. i think with my new coopers i will tho. mud terrians will def dig.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• I'm going to Lewes in a couple weeks and will also be taking my 06 TJ for my first spin in the sand...
    I usually surf fish at 3 R's past Dewey, but this year I'll be in Lewes so it looks like Cape Henlopen...
    What is the best access road? I'll be staying close to 5 points....

• since you've got 10.5" wide tires, I'd say air down to 25... then down to 15 if you get in trouble. but, it all depends on how the beach is, back in early I was at the Navy Crossing with my 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns (BFG MT tread) at 30psi and had no problems. it really depends on how the beach is that day.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• oh, shush... the silly Insert key was on.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 4 lo third gear.

never had a problem and dont air down.

ill tell ya, 4lo is something else :driving:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• It also has a lot to do with the width of your tires.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i just went to the beach this week end.. was fishing off of keybox road.. and with 32 11.5 BFG MTs i aired down to around 12psi.. but i only run at 20 normally anyway.. was also in 4 hi never had a problem.

95&#039; YJ stock springs. SOA ,8.8 w/disks and 35&#039;s<br />DD 2008 Grand Cherokee

• 2wd dont air down, 4wd only when tugging someone out

lol. give er hell!!! :laughing:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!