How do you Feel about a 4 banger vs a 6 cylinder?

• I'm look at wrangler with a 4 cylinder, I've never owned a 4 banger. I'm afraid it's going to be underpowered.

I'm curious about other peoples opinions and experiences. I won't be doing any heavy towing so that's not an issue. I would like to make 4x4 compatable but not a monster truck.

I'll also use it as a daily driver.

Do you think it will hurt resale? Do people frown upon the 4 banger or is it sought after?

• I know there are a few members here that have them and like them. BUT I had an '88 with the 4cyl. and it could barely get out of it's own way. My Jeep now has the 4.0L and I wasn't going to buy another 4cyl. But that is just my opinion. :driving:

• If you plan on staying with 33's or under and dont drive the highways a lot you will be fine. It will not have a lot of power to get up to speed but it will hold it's own off road

• I like a 6 cylinder. I'd LOVE an 8 cylinder but....

Never drove a 4 cylinder but I imagine they run fine with stock tires and what not.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• For what it's worth, I've owned both. I had 94 with the 4cyl. and as others have said with the stock tires I had no issues. I only went to 31" tires and can tell you from personal experience driveability suffered. I had to downshift all the time when driving highways and it felt very lethargic around town. This can be remedied with gearing but the old adage still stands, there is no replacement for displacement. Long story short, when I was in the market for a YJ second time around I decided to do it "right" and get the 4.0L. This was the best decision I could have made as I am VERY pleased with the performance over the 4 cyl. and would never go back. Bottom line, if you plan to keep it stock get the 4cyl., if you plan on lifting it, save yourself the headache and pony up the extra cash for the 4.0. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Yep I agree! I just replaced my 2.5L with a 5.9L ;D

How's that running and what's your gas mileage?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Looks like I'm going to stay away from the 4 banger. Thanks for the info!!!!!

I don't want to be underpowered and I want to put something bigger than 33" s on in the future.

• Yep I agree! I just replaced my 2.5L with a 5.9L ;D

well i am guessing you have a 360 in it then by the litre of the engine right?

yea bud dont get a 4 banger not alot of power i test drove a 4 banger auto and it was like wow that guy on the bicycle just passed me, bottom line go with a 6 i got the 4.2 litre thats was bored .30 over and stroked to a 4.6l and it has plenty of power(beat a drodge ram hemi in a race once)

• How's that running and what's your gas mileage?

Its running great now! Gas mileage? Whats that? :shrug:

About 9mi/gal I still need to change the speedo gear so that might improve it a mile a or two.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• have a 4 banger... havent come into anything that she couldnt do. leaks and smokes but never quits. a little lacking at highway speeds with bigger tires, but that can be remedied with bigger gears in the rear. too big of tires will start shattering axles anyhow, so either way some mods have to be made to go BIG. on the other hand, i am about to do a swap rather than rebuild, and imn going to a 4.2. if i bought another wrangler, i would definately shoot for the i-6. but if u get a sweet deal on one with the 2.5, i would steal it rather than pay a bunch more waiting for a 4.0. so, whatever u wanna do. just my thoughts.

• One noce advantage to a 4 is that you are less likely to break stuff, its usually the go pedal that does the damage.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Still, I enjoy passing annoying people on the highway :cuss: and knowing that I can easily go more than 70 mph. 4 bangers get worse gas :doh:, but they have the better gears. It's not worth trying to save money when you'll be better off in the long run, but that's just my opinion b/c I use mine as a DD :driving:.

• As said above, the 4cyl and 6cyl have about the same amount of power, and same amount of MPG. The difference will come with your type of driving and what you plan to use it for. If you're only going to drive it on nice saturdays, or to the beach for some fishing then the savings on a 4cyl is worth it. If you're like me and spend 95% of your time at highway speed, or have big plans to conquer Moab someday then you would be better off with the 6cyl.

• As said above, the 4cyl and 6cyl have about the same amount of power, and same amount of MPG. The difference will come with your type of driving and what you plan to use it for. If you're only going to drive it on nice saturdays, or to the beach for some fishing then the savings on a 4cyl is worth it. If you're like me and spend 95% of your time at highway speed, or have big plans to conquer Moab someday then you would be better off with the 6cyl.

My observations

97 TJ 4cyl stock gears on 31s- lacking power to pass and would max out at 75 with the wind at my tail- 17 highway 12-14 city
    00 XJ 6cyl stock gears on 31s-still enormous power to spare 20 highway 13-15 city

• I'd say it's all in the jeep. I have a 4 Cly. in my 84 Cj and love it. Lack of power, heck no. I have beat a few at the stop light with 302's.! Now, they were driving trucks, not stangs. She purrs along @ 70 w/ no problem! So power is not an issued. I would even think that the it would be easier to control when off roading. It is also better on gas. Getting about 30 in my Cj. But then again, all depends on how you drive them. My 360 eagle couldn't get out of it's own way! So try it out. If you don't like it don't get it. If it's cheap enough, get it and drop whatever you want in it. There are enough jeepahallics on here that can help you with a swap. Good luck either way.

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!