35s and 4.56 gears

• who runs 35s with 4.56s 6cyl and a 5speed
    i have 3.73s now and i want to use 5th more thats why im wanting 4.56s
    but somboddy sad to go with 4.88s but i think thats to lo for hiway driving at 65 or 70mph
    are you happy with the 4.56s?
    do you wish you went lower or not?
    do you loose any mpg or gane any?

just trying to get some input befor i drop $1100.00 on them thx

• i had 4.56 and 35's on my 03 4.0 5speed they were great with 35's, however i tried to downsize to 33's and they sucked. when i do it again ill go 4.10's and have the flexibility to go bigger or smaller.

• i could cruise at 70MPH and averaged 12 MPG (up hill, down hill, headwind, tailwind, city, highway...didnt seem to matter)

• I always say to keep in mind whose tire you are buying. I bought MTZ's knowing full well that they would never be above 34" brand new where an Interco would be closer to true size. For this reason, I went 4.56 with my six speed and couldn't be happier. The 4:1 teralow is still low enough off road yet it revs just a hair higher than stock at highway speeds.

I also know that I probably won't go bigger (never say never :doh:)and if I do, most likely one tons will will go in anyway.

That said, if you are running a truer 35" than me, and a five speed, 4.88 would be the way to go. :up:

• I run 4.56's and 35'' A/T's. Then again I'm in a Cherokee.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

• I run 4.88s with 33s and a 4 speed with over drive. I don't have any problems. The motor pulls farely strong up through 60 mph in 4th. I can pull a bit in 4th over drive as well.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Mine had 35s with 4.56 and I am very pleased with highway driving. I can't comment on MPG because I bought it setup but if you're worried about MPG I wouldn't lift or put 35s on. In fact maybe buy a Prius. :driving: Just kidding....

• 488s with 5spd
    456s with 6spd

On mine I can cruise at 80-90 all day long and go up the canal bridge in 6th and gain speed.

I have lightweight 15" wheels and some light 35" BFG ATs

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• 488s with 5spd
    456s with 6spd

On mine I can cruise at 80-90 all day long and go up the canal bridge in 6th and gain speed.

I have lightweight 15" wheels and some light 35" BFG ATs

I have the 6 speed in my 99 Wrangler and 4.56 with 35s, runs great. Really fast if i stay in 4th for a bit :up: :up:

I had the 5 speed before and it was still a nice tire to axle ratio choice

• after much thought I'm going with the 4.56s
    and see if can find a 4to1 T case at some point

thx for the input

• Even without the 4 to 1 they are good offroad. You will notice a difference, but unless you wheel very frequently, then the 4to1 may not even be worth it for you.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• hey, check the dates of posts when you reply... this thread is 3 months old, the last thread you posted in was 3 years old. rule of thumb, if it's more than a couple weeks old, just start a new thread.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!