GWNF IX - *FALL 2008* Wheeling & Camping Trip - *** REPORT ***

• We are home. Had to cut it a day short for personal reasons.

Had a great time. Rainy/cold the first night. Better after that.

Lots of pics to come.

And the rest are probably still on the trail as I type this.

• I hope your personal reasons aren't too seriouis. You guys had some great weather

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• A few pics:

Mike came in on 2 wheel studs.

Andrew broke in my new HF Earthquake gun installing the new ones he had.

Thursday we took a ride to SmokeHole Caverns and stopped at Seneca Rocks on the way.

Cheif57 teaching rope whipping

Chuck's H2

Scott and Terra

• Well, we made it back in one piece. I will post pics and video later on after we relax a bit and add my updates. I will say this now it was a real good time.

• Yea it could have been worse. if we would have had to go much further to get to an area to pull off i could see the tire going up the mountain while i started going back down it scraping things up. Luckly i got pulled off before the last two broke and got them tight and limped in at 20 mph the last 5 miles to the camp ground. Finaly got the jeep unloaded and took a look under it to see what took the hits. got some pics from under it. will post them once i get them loaded on photobucket.

Mike

• Michael and I made it back safe and sound with lots of good memories. I think we both picked up some good tips to make the next camping expedition even better. Thanks to all for the advise, sharing, etc. Will post up some pics soon, but for now I'll just leave you with this pearl of wisdom...

....never NEVER toss two 80-pound logs in the back of your rig -- with most of the trail ride still ahead of you -- with only FOUR ratchet straps and think that you're going to make it back to camp unscathed. Good intentions be damned, just go get firewood like everyone else. ;)

Oh, also, spiders hurt.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Damn!!! Glad you all made it back and had a great time. I am definatly making it next year come hell or high water.

• I had a good time. Thanks to all for tolerating non-jeep involvment.
    I've already started pulling the jeep apart so I can get it back on the road.

I'll keep my eyes out for Amish bonnett-wearing women on zero turn tractors.

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• Okay, here's a little bit of a trail report, someone else feel free to pick up my slack!
    Off and on we had 10 - 13 jeeps and a hummer. Overall it was a great trip for the new guys to try out some new stuff and learn what their jeep and themselves are capable of.

We arrived on Thursday evening with JeepsterJK & Chuckwagon in the H2. TNGent & Lovmi3kids, Surfrider, & Keith & Patti, and Chief57 were already there. Donnie & Patti came in about midnight. Fun campfire that I don't remember much of so it must not have been too exciting ;)

Friday, Captain, Jeepgirl, Sean & Allison arrived in time to go on the ride to Dictum Ridge. Chief57, myself and Captain did the rocky part. Captain went down and back up easily, Chief & I went down easily, but needed a little bit of assistance getting back up.
    Back to the campfire for more fun, drinks, and cake.

Quantum, Kitch, BigCam, Tedsbumper, and FatTony arrived sometime Friday afternoon.

Saturday we headed out and ran Flagpole, Meadowknob, and Dry River.
    Back to a nice big campfire thanks to BlackFlag - we now have a firewood hookup and don't need to take our own.

Sunday morning, we packed up some headed straight home, some stayed, some headed to Shoney's for breakfast.

Campfire discussions went everywhere from movies to dirty jokes to bodily functions to the shocker to favorite GWNF memories - but alas - What happens at GW, stays at GW ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!