Rausch Creek Off-road Park Writeup, Photos & Video (*Dial-Up Kill*)

• My buddies with their XJ's decided to head up to Rausch Creek on Saturday night, around 11pm. They all camped there. I decided to leave early Sunday morning. I woke up early, drove 1 hour 15 mins to find Tom (XJ3) still sleeping. So, the rest of us decided to make some bacon on the grille using pliers as a fork. What fun!

By the time we were packed up, checked in, and ready to hit the trails it was 10am:

We took some green trails to get to the blue, blue-black, and black trails for the day:

Things started out great but slowly deteriorated for Harrison (XJ2) and Tarby (XJ1). Harrison backed into a rock, which caused his tailpipe to bent into the tire:

VIDEO: http://"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isvp1_AhcDs

Eventually we ripped the tailpipe off and got moving again:

Then, Tarby had an incident. Climbing a decent hill, his leaf spring/axle centering pin sheared on the driver side. This pulled the driveshaft out of the t-case as the axle moved rearward. So we had to try to rig the axle to stay in place:

VIDEO:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

After "fixing" his Jeep, the rest of us made the climb, while he bypassed:

VIDEO:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ON-BOARD VIDEO:

Tarby decided to keep his Jeep with us and continue on. So, we did. We moved to some rocks... And Tom (XJ3) got a little stuck from going forward, but after moving some rocks we got him backing out:

But just as we're really enjoying ourselves, things went downhill... Tarby bent his tie-rod .. badly.. and it was in danger of hitting the oil pan:

While repairs continued, we took a food break. We cooked hot dogs .. using a screwdriver as a prod lol:

And then got back to work. We removed the tie-rod. We had to kick the driver side tire to keep it straight coming down the hill climb. That sucked, so we then ratchet strapped the tie rod to the axle to keep it slightly towed out:

Once we got it down to the bottom of the hill, and out of the way for JK's to climb the hill, we straightened it the redneck way. We then put a hi-lift jack handle over the tie-rod to keep it straight, and we headed back to the lot to drop off his Jeep and head back out:

Or so we thought. While waiting for the limping Tarby to catch up, Harrison flexed on a rock... which ripped out his driver side LCA axle side mount (it was beat up pretty bad already):

He hobbled back to the parking lot garage as well, where him and Tarby started to fix their rigs. Tom and I wanted to drive on the rock course in the parking lot, so we had some fun. A NAXJA guy, Hammered, decided to drive through as well:

Of course, Tom ended up getting high centered, but how corny it became lol:

I winched him off the rocks as the sun set on an interesting, damage-prone, yet still fun and exciting day!

If You Didn't Want To Read Above - Damage Report:
    -XJ1 (Small 4 door): Bent into a "V" tie-rod which was rednecked back to straight. Rear center-pin sheared off, axle continued moving back war...ds during the day. Rear driveshaft came out of t-case due to this.
    -XJ2 (Big 4 door): Tailpipe squished then ripped off. Rear bumper scratches lol. Driver side lower control arm and mount ripped off of axle tube.
    -XJ3 (2 door): Minor rock rash
    -Me: Minor rock rash, broken factory side step (I need rocker guards)

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

Edited once, last by PAFirefighter11 ().

• Hmm, I didn't even see beer being consumed?!? At that point we had been sitting around for 20 mins and were there for another 2 hours w/o driving... maybe they just had one? I don't even know. I saw 7-up or Sprite, Vitamin water, iced tea, etc. I'll discuss with them next time!

-Rick R<br />-Quadratec Online Community Coordinator<br />-&#039;15 JKU - &#039;98 &amp; &#039;01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Ams - &#039;03 VW Golf Turbo Diesel<br />FDNY 9/11/01 - We will never forget our fallen brothers

• Yah I really don't think those are Bud cans? Any beer that was consumed was the night before and it was Miller bottles.

• Thanks Keith

Yah whenever we wheel we break stuff. I know he had issues with his tie-rod at a prior wheeling event. I think he used a torch to heat it, and that weakened the metal where it just bent. The LCA that broke off was beat and abused over time.

• yeah, that one pic may be corny, but at the same time it's pretty cool because it's different. i like it. :up:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• You do realize that breaking stuff is not the point of going wheeling right? Its more of a statement to say, "We had a great day and navigated the trails very well, and while we have some scrapes and pin stripes, we did not break". Seems to me that you guys just point and shoot on trails and hope for the best. Remind me to never go on a trip with ya.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• You do realize that breaking stuff is not the point of going wheeling right? Its more of a statement to say, "We had a great day and navigated the trails very well, and while we have some scrapes and pin stripes, we did not break". Seems to me that you guys just point and shoot on trails and hope for the best. Remind me to never go on a trip with ya.

Your point of wheeling is different from everyone elses point of wheeling. We all have our reasons we go. Some people go to enjoy navigating through obstacles and not breaking things. I go just 'cause I love to be behind the wheel of my Jeep with great friends, taking photos and enjoying myself. If something breaks, it gives us a reason to upgrade. 'Cause of this trip, not wanting similar things to happen, I am upgrading:

-Big Daddy Offroad Tie Rod
    -Upgraded fuel tank skid plate
    -Skid Row Control arm skid plates & welding the inner LCA mounts
    -Rear diff/driveshaft skid/glider

etc...

• Excellent trail report -- great use of pictures to tell the story. I especially liked the poser shots at the end. Your group was really resilient, to say the least. You'll forgive me if I beg off going trail riding with you guys...I'm afraid some of your trail damage mojo might rub off on me!! ;D

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Damage is easy to avoid. Pick smart lines and go with good people (aaron and ed are pro spotters and keep me out of trouble ;D). If you don't want to break things you don't do the stupidly hard obstacles your rig can't handle. If you repetitively beat the hell out of your rig you will break it more often as well. I have to admit and agree with Ed, when you sit around for hours at a time fixing things, going crawling sucks. Although I guess if you like trying to fix things on the trail, go for it :P

Back on topic, quality and pictures of this write up were great. Always fun to see how things play out even if you aren't there!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!