Clayton long arm kit

• It is real easy to do. Mine just uses some RE extended links and the stock bar...

I know. I had it in with the Skyjacker extended links when I had my D35, but it has problems with the 8.8 housing. Apparently they have to be shaved down. The guy I got the axle from ran a long arm kit and clearly didn't use the stock track bar so it was never shaved. :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I am sure I can handle shaving the housing too if need be. Keep me updated as you get the parts and are ready to do the install and I am sure I can squeeze you in. It's a real nice kit and the arms are bombproof. I have welded up some of the mounts, but never done the whole kit. It doesn't seem that hard and I am sure I have all the tools to install in in a day.

Aaron

• Yeah, IIRC you can without any modifications. ;D

You can run a stock skid but IIRC, im pretty sure you will need to remove the skid and cut notches out of the corners to clear the control arm mounts.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Be forewarned that the notches you make on the stock skid remove all structural rigidity from the skid...it will quickly become a 'flat' skid if wheeled hard. I ran mine like this for several years and it makes removal of the skid (well, make that reinstallation) damn near impossible as it's so mangled that it springs outward when removed. I replaced it several times w/ freebies I aquired and eventually replaced it w/ the clayton skid setup. Granted mine gets beat on pretty well but that's neither here nor there... :innocent:

--Ian (has also bent his clayton belly skid to the point it needs some 'tweaking' before it goes back on)

• I would honestly get the skid at the same time.. it makes installation of the skid much easier and I never really liked how the stock skid needs to be hacked up to fit as you loose 2 of 6 mounting bolts for the skid....That is the way I would have initially gone but the skid was not around when I went to the clayton kit

• I would honestly get the skid at the same time.. it makes installation of the skid much easier and I never really liked how the stock skid needs to be hacked up to fit as you loose 2 of 6 mounting bolts for the skid....That is the way I would have initially gone but the skid was not around when I went to the clayton kit

X2, the Clayton cross member and skids are A+. I also added a poly trans mount for strength when I added the cross member and have had no vibration issues.

• I'll consider the extra $500 or so their skid costs depending on how much it's going to cost me to have this kit welded up. I don't wheel my Jeep on rocks (yet) so I'm not concerned about the strength of the stock skid for now. Hell I never get to drive my Jeep more than a few hundred - thousand miles a year since it's not my DD and it likes to randomly not start. Considering I have to have it running (and who knows what that's going to take) before I get this kit welded up, the skid will probably take a backseat. If I don't need it right away, it's likely that I won't be doing it. Will I in the long run? Of course! :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I'll consider the extra $500 or so their skid costs depending on how much it's going to cost me to have this kit welded up. I don't wheel my Jeep on rocks (yet) so I'm not concerned about the strength of the stock skid for now. Hell I never get to drive my Jeep more than a few hundred - thousand miles a year since it's not my DD and it likes to randomly not start. Considering I have to have it running (and who knows what that's going to take) before I get this kit welded up, the skid will probably take a backseat. If I don't need it right away, it's likely that I won't be doing it. Will I in the long run? Of course! :)

Why are you going long arm?

• Why not? :P

Because they handle better on road, plus I need my 8.8 brackets changed out because they aren't working with my short arm kit. There's some other reasons, but I'm working on getting my Jeep where I want it. I don't have $$$ to dump it all on at once, so I'm doing what I can. I figure in the next two years or so, it will be built up to where I want it and then I can go play with it as hard as you guys do. I'm a broke college kid. :laughing:

• Why not? :P

Because they handle better on road, plus I need my 8.8 brackets changed out because they aren't working with my short arm kit. There's some other reasons, but I'm working on getting my Jeep where I want it. I don't have $$$ to dump it all on at once, so I'm doing what I can. I figure in the next two years or so, it will be built up to where I want it and then I can go play with it as hard as you guys do. I'm a broke college kid. :laughing:

What guys are those? LOL

I prefer the sand to rocks but like the rocks once in a while.

I couldn't remember what lift or tires you were running was the main reason I asked about the LA kit.

Seems most don't find a need for it until they get over 4/4.5" of lift.

• I have 33s right now on a 4" Skycrapper with the standard arms, but I have metal cloak fenders on the way. Was looking to move up to 35s to fill in some of the space the fenders will create although I'm not putting them on right away. I'm trying to prepare for 35s correctly. I hate my short arm kit for the same reasons most people prefer a long arm kit to a short arm kit. I know that with 35s I'll need to upgrade my brakes and prepare to break shafts on the 30 if I'm not careful.

Most of what I just said is besides the point, but I want long arms and that's that. I've been wanting them for a long time and now that the 8.8 needs to be changed up a little, it gives me a reason to put them on. To me there's no point in changing the bracketry around for short arms when I'll need to do it again for long arms. Killing a few birds with one stone here.

I also need new control arms and for what it costs to swap out all 8 of the short arms I may as well just go long arms.

• Neither have I. The only reason I waited so long was because I hate Rubicon Express and had never heard of Clayton until about a year ago.

• I haven't had good experiences with their customer service so I refuse to buy anything of importance from them. I just picked up a set of their springs for cheaper than you can get one pair for, but when it comes to things like control arms I won't buy from them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…-express-long-arm-928832/

How I feel isn't based on that thread or anything else I've read about RE, but it doesn't help either.

• Hadn't seen that thread yet.

I got most of mine from Quadna second hand at a good price so I have no complaints.

• All the RE stuff on my jeep(omaha's old jeep) is trash. The bushings are all shot the superflex joints are all egged out because the hole is larger then the factory bolts and they keep loosening up.

I'm considering going with a clayton kit this summer, but I can't convince myself that longrms are going to be worth it at 3"s of lift. Especially when the money would be better spent on a rear axle upgrade.

• All the RE stuff on my jeep(omaha's old jeep) is trash. The bushings are all shot the superflex joints are all egged out because the hole is larger then the factory bolts and they keep loosening up.

I'm considering going with a clayton kit this summer, but I can't convince myself that longrms are going to be worth it at 3"s of lift. Especially when the money would be better spent on a rear axle upgrade.

Did you ever see him drive ? LOL

Any cartridge-type joint is going to require maintenance and will degrade without it.

I've got 3.5" of lift and think it rides pretty good for a short wheel-base Jeep.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!