In-Dash Winch Controllers, Chains & Pigs

• well im just going off of what ive seen on the show and some in person. not saying real damage isnt gonna happen just not sure on how often i will. im prooly going to go to synthetic line in the future. any cons to the rope? like over time to they get more brittle on the jeep. from like salt, sand, mud?

• well im just going off of what ive seen on the show and some in person. not saying real damage isnt gonna happen just not sure on how often i will. im prooly going to go to synthetic line in the future. any cons to the rope? like over time to they get more brittle on the jeep. from like salt, sand, mud?

The cons:
    -Price
    -UV light, which doesn't seem to be that big a deal with the coatings they have now.
    -You also need to be careful to sheath the rope when pulling over abrasive things like rock, dirt, etc. Not that steel cable loves rock but it is less susceptible to tearing from it.
    -Synthetic line doesn't like heat although like UV light, they have gotten MUCH better in the past few years. A hard pulling, inefficient winch used to melt the line.

The pros:
    -Doesn't shred your hand (like Quadna said).
    -Lighter to handle
    -Usually floats on water if you are into mud or water wheeling.
    -Safer, won't kill you like wire potentially can. (You still need to be smart though.)

• It's not just the recoil of the metal cable that you have to worry about. You also need to worry about that hook firing back and hitting you.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• It's not just the recoil of the metal cable that you have to worry about. You also need to worry about that hook firing back and hitting you.

Good point. Although the synthetic line doesn't hold much energy under tension, if it's hooked to a tree saver and it snaps, it will send the hook your way pretty quick.

Oh, another "Pro" of synthetic rope is the weight savings of the rope itself as well as the weight savings of a hawse fairlead over a roller fairlead.

• Having used both types of varying strength on offroad vehicles, towing equipment, and emergency vehicles, I would never go back to metal line on my Jeep for all the reasons discussed previously. :up: If cost is the deciding factor, then suck it up and go synthetic. Definitely not a good place to save a little money...

• i can see your point about safety. that's why i replaced erica's cable with rope - hers is the priority over mine. but sometimes it is not a matter of saving a little money...since most winches still come with cable it is then a matter of "spending" a little money. all in good time i supposed...

• but sometimes it is not a matter of saving a little money...since most winches still come with cable it is then a matter of "spending" a little money.

I concur on the retrofit issue.

One thing for folks to keep in mind is that on a new purchase, many vendors will replace the metal line with synthetic for a reasonable price and much cheaper than buying line separately. Rokmen did that for me with my Superwinch/Amsteel/Mounting Plate combo...

• we got both of our winches "under the radar". but still a very good point for a new purchase. time to put my insanely dangerous winch cable to use pulling out yard shrubs! :wavey:

make sure u where a full faced helmet and neck protector lol

• In 20 years, (70-90), I never saw a military vehicle that winched from the inside.

Thought about this.

So you are winching a vehicle up an incline and the line breaks.

Since there's no one inside to hit the brakes it rolls or tumbles to the bottom of the hill. :doh:

Granted, most military recoveries are probably from mud on level ground, but where we go there are often steep inclines.

• Is it easy to store the Synth rope off the winch and load it when you might need it ? That way you would keep it well protected and away from UV light .

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Is it easy to store the Synth rope off the winch and load it when you might need it ? That way you would keep it well protected and away from UV light .

As Billy said. UV light really isn't an issue anymore. I am sure it will be f'ed up due to some bad idea winching long before UV gets it. :innocent:

• In 1975 I saw a man get decapitated from a winch wire just south of the Taco Bridge in NJ. A Ford pickup was winching a Bronco out of the mud and up the berm. A dirt biker cut between the truck and the Bronco hitting the wire. The Bronco was spinning his wheels when the truck was winching When he hit the wire the Bronco lunged forward and then slid back tightening the wire real fast. The wire had came loose it went around the persons head and under his arm pit when it snapped tight it cut through him. And I have seen a person killed with synthetic line on a tugboat not cut in half just killed from the force of the line hitting him. The bottom line be careful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!