Rollover Video w/ Recovery

• Awesome story and results for a scary situation. Maybe a good topic for Jeep 101, what to do if your vehicle stalls out on a hillclimb. And your suspension unloads and you just happen to have a rear wheel in a small dip that is just big enough to not provide enough resistance to counteract the angular motion/acceleration. Good luck on that one... :innocent:

Frustrating to have to start the climb over but if they had turned back downhill life would have been good. But we all try to backtrack as little as possible and that could happen to most folks, including myself, rather easily.

• That right there is a great reason why anyone that drives offroad, Even Greens, should have atleast cage additions in the front, that stock cage does very little.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Yeah I'm not so sure turning back down would of even helped them....I talked to a guy at Big Dogs last year who had experienced a similar issue on the rockface by the play area at RC. He had climbed the rockface 20-30 times previously with no issues. This guy appeared to have a decent amount of hours behind the wheel on the trail....he was runnin pro rock 60's frt/rear on a cleanly built tj. He said he was near the top when the engine coughed at low RPM. He subsequently stalled and even though he was able to catch the TJ immediately just the weight transfer from front to rear was enough to roll him backward end over end. Fortunately he was caged, but he still suffered a head injury from bangin his coconut on the cage (evident by lots of newly installed rollbar padding). It was an enlightening conversation for me. I have always been caged, but never really considered getting hurt wheeling. This guy was ok in the long run, but onscene at the time of the incident....I am sure that was hard to determine. He was knocked unconscious and bleeding heavily from his head. The reason I am bringing this up is that it really made my think about who I wheel with and the fact that I am not only responsible for myself, but also the people I wheel with. I don't mean responsible in any kind of legal way....but none of us wants to see one of our fellow wheelers get hurt. The terrain where we wheel does not make for quick and easy access to medical care. If someone is in need of medical attention out on the trail, its not gonna happen real fast. A simple deep laceration in the wrong place could end up really bad out there if you don't respond properly. I feel much better when I know there is someone in the group that knows about basic first aid or if you are fortunate enough to have a volunteer firefighter in the group. Just something to take into consideration when your out there having fun...and something to think about when you see the guy with no cage or safety equipment attempting something that could potentially turn his/her day into a fatal one. It is up to you to speak up if you see someone doing something that could get them hurt. This goes for breaking shit too, why spend all day fixing shit, when a simple "whoa dude" will keep the group moving.

• That right there is a great reason why anyone that drives offroad, Even Greens, should have atleast cage additions in the front, that stock cage does very little.

X2 - It's definitely a worthy investment. :up: :up:

Yea this video made me feel a little sick, thinking about wheeling with my son in the jeep. I know it's something that we all need to be aware of but it kinda makes me scared to get out there...

With a stock cage, I think you just have to know where you can go. Off camber on a flatter area would be fine with a stock cage. It'll handle a flop just fine. It'll also handle a single slow speed hit pretty well too.

It's when you are risking an end-over-end or are off camber at the top of a hill that you don't want to mess around.

I run a Jeep with a stock cage and one with an after market and feel just as safe in each because I only do what they are capable of handling. (If that makes any sense.)

• Yea this video made me feel a little sick, thinking about wheeling with my son in the jeep. I know it's something that we all need to be aware of but it kinda makes me scared to get out there...

x2. pics and vids never do justice to the nature of the trail, but from this perspective i don't think it looked like they were crazy off-camber or anything. it freaks me out a little to see something this severe occur on what appears to be a somewhat mild hillclimb.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• x2. pics and vids never do justice to the nature of the trail, but from this perspective i don't think it looked like they were crazy off-camber or anything. it freaks me out a little to see something this severe occur on what appears to be a somewhat mild hillclimb.

I've read about this video a few times and the hill is much steeper than it looks. (And to me it looks pretty steep in the video. :o) Like you said, video and pics never do it justice.

• the dudes rear tire locked up in a small crevis there and weight shifted causin him to tip. he shoulda kept on it once he got stuck, tire pressure was way to high in those tires as well....

• I've read about this video a few times and the hill is much steeper than it looks. (And to me it looks pretty steep in the video. :o) Like you said, video and pics never do it justice.

The speed in which it rolled down is a pretty big indicator. Those XJ 4.0's were grunting up the hill..

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• While a full cage is a nice addition I'd tend to agree with Bill...I flopped mine pretty damn hard on Whompum with a stock cage and barely tweaked it. I wouldn't like to experience a bad roll with one but I'd have no issue with running most blues (and likely lower blacks) with a factory cage. That climb is MUCH steeper than it appears in the video. Brad's right on the money about the speed...look at how it gathers speed in the first 2 rotations. You can also see by how much the front suspension unloads just before the roll.

Pics/vids never do things justice. I have video of mine from in the jeep flopping on the trail 5 hillclimb at RC and it looks like it's damn near level ground.

--Ian

• YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WHEEL
    NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU THINK YOUR RIG IS. MOTHER EARTH CAN BE A NASTY BITCH! :upset:
    GOOD HE MADE IT WITH NOT TO MUCH TRAMA TO HIMSELF OR HIS BEST FREIND! :)

• That jeep also has High center of gravity by the looks of it. Spare mounted high, with twin gas cans mounted even above the spare. If that hill was anywhere near as steep as people are claiming, no way would I have gone up that with all of the weight located near the top of the jeep.

• Yea this video made me feel a little sick, thinking about wheeling with my son in the jeep. I know it's something that we all need to be aware of but it kinda makes me scared to get out there...

Don't let it scare you from enjoying the sport.

Running greens/blues at RC, I doubt you would ever end up in a situation like that.

I do recall doing that hill climb up out of Rubicon Lake at PAP, that was a little scary. :o

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!