Window Tint Law...how to get a waiver?!

• Ok so I'm really tired of getting pulled over by the so-called Newark "cops" for my window tint that's on my doors (5%). I know some other people on here have front windows tinted and was wondering how they went about getting their waiver signed? My doctor just laughed at me :bang:...I know of a "place" that I could pay 100 bucks to get one signed but I don't really want to fork over that much cash for something like this. Any help is appreciated thanks, Justin.

• They don't just hand them out anymore so you will have to find an optometrist willing to put his livelihood on the line to facilitate your needs... Suddenly $100 bucks for a shady deal doesn't sound like much eh? :doh:

• My thing would be to say to stop driving like an ass or like a teenager. I had tint on my jeep for over 6 yrs and only ever had one cop say something, and that was because it was a checkpoint for inspection violations. I didn't get a ticket either, just a warning.

My brother in law is a cop and he told me that unless your driving like an ass, have your music up too loud or look like a punk, they pretty much leave you alone.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• you have to get them directly from the dmv anymore, and get your doctor to sign off on it. dmv used to have them online and took them off for some reason.

• My thing would be to say to stop driving like an ass or like a teenager. I had tint on my jeep for over 6 yrs and only ever had one cop say something, and that was because it was a checkpoint for inspection violations. I didn't get a ticket either, just a warning.

My brother in law is a cop and he told me that unless your driving like an ass, have your music up too loud or look like a punk, they pretty much leave you alone.

X2.

Drawing attention to yourself probably gets you what you deserve.

As far as the $100, how much are the tickets?

My Jeep's been tinted for 7 years and never had an issue.

• Isn't 5% the darkest you can get? Gangster grade tint might not be the way to go. Maybe it is the fact that you LOOK like you are trying to hide something that makes cops WANT to look closer??

<edit> Think about the difference between doing 95mph in a 65 vs. doing 75 in the same 65 zone.

• You guys ass-u-me way too much. The 3 times I have been pulled over I was just driving home from work, not being an ass or anything. The cops see a giant jeep and think, "must be a college kid, maybe we can find something to bust him for and use his tint as an excuse". They're just money hungry, and it's funny that everytime has been near the end of the month (ahem...quota anyone?). They are almost as bad as the beach cops. Either way yeah it's "illegal" so I have to get it fixed.

• 5% is gangster and dangerous. when i was a teen i had that and couldnt see shit out of them at night. 20-25 is plenty dark and ive had it on my vehicles for years and never get shit from the man. i did get a ticket a couple years ago for it but i made an illegal u turn so i was asking for it :driving:

• 5% is gangster and dangerous. when i was a teen i had that and couldnt see sh*t out of them at night. 20-25 is plenty dark and ive had it on my vehicles for years and never get sh*t from the man. i did get a ticket a couple years ago for it but i made an illegal u turn so i was asking for it :driving:

x2 i have to agree with you that 5% is too dark, wish i had gotten 20%

• I had 35% on my XJ in the front and apparently that was too dark. I got busted for it exactly 1 month after putting it on at an inspection check point. They ripped my inspection sticker out and put a rejected sticker in its place. I had to go get it taken off and then go back through regular inspection. That really ticked me off. :cuss:

Now, my TJ's front windows are tinted to around 15% I want to say. They're pretty darn dark. Never had an issue with them. Go figure!

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• That's funny, us guys aren't the ones not figuring out why a cop pulled us over with the gangsta tint eh...

Yeah it's funny because they didn't pull me over for "driving like an ass" or what any of the above says...they were just bored and trying to make a buck. Are you canadian or something? eh? haha

• Yeah it's funny because they didn't pull me over for "driving like an ass" or what any of the above says...they were just bored and trying to make a buck. Are you Canadian or something? eh? haha

Hahaha Pretty funny Canadian joke there. Just because you think somehow you are right in your line of thinking, let me try to understand a little better. So, they didn't pull you over for for driving like an ass, but they apparently gave you tickets for being an ass? Your original post was idiotic, but then you even admit 5% was a bad idea. And you are still looking for someone to sign an illegal window tint permission slip. Get a clue, redo the tint and expect to still possibly get pulled over, or remove it entirely. Then, of course, the cops are morons or greedy for pulling you over while driving a Jeep that could never pass inspection as-is? And yet you seem surprised they did. I hope you were able to "keep your boner down" when you saw the flashing lights and thought of tasers.

:popcorn: eh... The string of somewhat and downright hostile replies to you original post should really give you the sense to drop this whole thread.

• Hahaha Pretty funny Canadian joke there. Just because you think somehow you are right in your line of thinking, let me try to understand a little better. So, they didn't pull you over for for driving like an ass, but they apparently gave you tickets for being an ass? Your original post was idiotic, but then you even admit 5% was a bad idea. And you are still looking for someone to sign an illegal window tint permission slip. Get a clue, redo the tint and expect to still possibly get pulled over, or remove it entirely. Then, of course, the cops are morons or greedy for pulling you over while driving a Jeep that could never pass inspection as-is? And yet you seem surprised they did. I hope you were able to "keep your boner down" when you saw the flashing lights and thought of tasers.

:popcorn: eh... The string of somewhat and downright hostile replies to you original post should really give you the sense to drop this whole thread.

HAHA wow man here we go again with you...are you just looking for a fight? Because if you are then let me know when you're in Newark next time. Until then, how about you stay out of MY threads? I was seeking some insight, not trying to sit here and listen to some 40 year old douche bag who thinks he's cool and knows everything. You obviously have some issues going on inside your head :doh:. People like YOU are the reason why I have yet to join this "club", and probably never will. Shouldn't you be doing something better with your time like saving a cat out of a tree? :laughing:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!