Contemplating rear axle upgrade...

• As a few of you know (especially those who have stacked rocks under my tires), this weekend I was pontificating a rear axle upgrade...it's cool to be able to say I did whatever trail locked/open but it would be a lot cooler to say I did it without having to goose it over every other obstacle.

I remember someone on here has (or had) a 8.8 w 3.73s that match my front and a limited slip I've been contemplating buying for way too long. If anyone remembers who has it, please let me know. My hesitation in doing it isn't the cost of the axle it's the brackets, the welding, the new driveshaft and SYE and brake conversion that goes along with it. Add in a Detroit and I'm easily over a $1K. I would definitely need serious help with it and wouldn't expect it to be done in a Saturday afternoon.

I'm contemplating doing a Super 35. I don't think they have the best reputation and the 8.8 is definitely stronger but I'm thinking the S35 is "strong enough" They retail for usually around $900-1000, I'll get a Detroit vs a limited slip and it's probably something that can get done in my garage with some pizza and beer. It won't be an 8.8 but it will be an improvement and, I believe, money well spent.

Thoughts? A lot of you know the type of trails I run and how I drive (that brick attachment over my right foot is custom). I guess the question that I'm asking is...is the super 35 good enough for what I do and is the 8.8 really worth the extra hassle/$? I'm usually all about just buying the best but in this case I want to get what's "right". Honestly, I think it's the labor of the install that's pushing me towards the 35.

• No.

In all seriousness, I know how you wheel and am surprised the 35's lasted as long as it has (likely in part due to being open). IMHO if it's marginally more to go w/ a stronger unit then by all means go that direction. Since it's not your DD and you can take some time I'd say that should favor the 8.8 too. For labor...well...I think Aaron and I both offered help and I dunno that either are $$$ in that dept. I think your best bet is to plan on the sye, d/s, upper c/a's, and axle and spend some time surfing classifieds as you will likely be able to come in pretty damn cheap on most of it if you take your time.

--Ian

• I'm going to 100% agree with Ian. I have seen way way way too many issues with Super 35s that are actually wheeled. Stick with an 8.8 or 44. More options, less likely-hood of breaking and just stronger all around. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a deal for you!

-Chris

• You should have posted this sooner. Someone just unloaded a 44 with disc brakes (complete) for 500 bucks. :doh:

Anyway, 8.8 all the way.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• You should have posted this sooner. Someone just unloaded a 44 with disc brakes (complete) for 500 bucks. :doh:

Anyway, 8.8 all the way.

X2
    i had the 8.8 in my yj great axl eand a easy swap

• Yeah I have an 8.8 limited slip 3.73 gears. Sanded and painted, tubes welded with disk brakes. Was asking 250 obo but went down to 200. Just make me an offer. I want this thing out of my garage. And I'll even toss in a set of 4.10 gears with it incase u wanna go up

• Buy Nicks 8.8 and we can work out the install when you get the rest of the parts.
    Aaron

Yeah, Nick and I are exchanging PMs and it should work out. Thinking of doing the install sometime around August.

Open (no pun intended =]) to suggestions on whether to stick with the limited slip or just do the Detroit day 1. I'll probably start up a build thread one of these days once I put a game plan together so everyone can rip it apart and tell me the right way to do it.

• Open (no pun intended =]) to suggestions on whether to stick with the limited slip or just do the Detroit day 1.

I LOVE my Detroit but to say it affects road manners is an understatement. (Especially since you are running a short arm suspension.) I am not saying to avoid the Detroit but definitely do your homework before making that your locker choice. Maybe look into an e-locker.

• I'd stay with the limited slip for a bit to see if
    u like it cause u don't have to even open the rear as of now with the same ratio. When I had it in my rig the limited slip was still working really well. Might get u an earlier install date too

• if i were doing it over, i wouldn't go with the Detroit. no way, no how.

around some of the big forums, there are always guys insisting that they "can't feel it," or "don't know it's there," or "got used to it after a while and now i don't even notice." good for them. but I feel it and notice it every day and it annoys me. but that's me...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• if i were doing it over, i wouldn't go with the Detroit. no way, no how.

around some of the big forums, there are always guys insisting that they "can't feel it," or "don't know it's there," or "got used to it after a while and now i don't even notice." good for them. but I feel it and notice it every day and it annoys me. but that's me...

Agreed....well on the feel it part. There's a definite understeer/oversteer if you get off the throttle mid-turn...a really uncomfortable feeling for some. I definitely wouldn't trade mine out as it's damn near bulletproof but it's definitely not 'transparent' I would go selectable if given the choice as I really liked having them prior to my 60's but couldn't justify the extra cost, liked the reliability of the detroit, and since it's only a weekend/occasional driver I'm not too worried about the handling quirks.

Hell, like Nick said, get it in there and together and do a locker down the road...you know, when you wanna go 35's and end up regearing anyway. :suspicious: :laughing:

--Ian.

• I personally like my rear Detroit, but I have an auto transmission and a longer wheelbase in my XJ than TJs have. You do get some weird under/oversteer affects with power changes in turns like Ian mentioned, but I got used to it quickly. But, the longer wheelbase does help a lot, I wouldn't want it in a YJ/TJ as a daily driver. But, YMMV. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!