Garage shop ideas

• Will be without my TJ for maybe 3 weeks, and so I want to put that time to good use by creating a garage shop/bench to better organize my tools and stuff. I'm looking for tips and ideas. Here's what I've planned so far:

- Built-in workbench that's hopefully totally off the floor (wall mounted).
    - Added electric outlets. (I only have one now.)
    - Some type of pegboard.
    - Some sort of task lighting.
    - Wall-mounted kitchen-type cabinets to hide junk.

Tips? Ideas? Lessons learned?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Is the wall you are mounting the bench on connected to your house? I have beat on my work bench so hard that I thought I was going to break my 100lb vice (most recently removing bolts from a RE superjoint with a sledgehammer). Just remember that the vibrations will be heard in your home if you mount it to a wall, which would never work for me.

• Is the wall you are mounting the bench on connected to your house? I have beat on my work bench so hard that I thought I was going to break my 100lb vice (most recently removing bolts from a RE superjoint with a sledgehammer). Just remember that the vibrations will be heard in your home if you mount it to a wall, which would never work for me.

Sean is dead on with this comment. If you install a vice (which is a no brainer IMO), you will get in situations where you beat the living shit out of something on it. I've almost ripped the concrete anchors out of my tables. It's definitely something to think about.

• If your going to buy a air compressor, consider a oiled type, far more quiet than the oil-less. Also consider installing PVC hard air line with mult ports and a dryer. The Sema girls will be more impressed too.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Good stuff - thanks. I figured I was going to get advise on whether or not to install a beer tap and fridge! The bench would be anchored to an exterior 2x4 wall. I guess there could be a noise factor inside the house, but it should be minimum. I was thinking I may need to have at least one vertical column supporting the bench for just such a reason - beating mercilessly on something. As for air, I've already got a sorta funky setup; the compressor is in the basement and a line is run into the garage. A 100' hose is on a spool, which won't be right at the workbench, but close enough. Am headed to Lowe's this afternoon with hopes of finding a cheap "scratch and dent" deal on some cabinets.
    Will be sure to get four bar stools - one for me and three for the girls! :beer:

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Will be sure to get four bar stools - one for me and three for the girls! :beer:

<----- :? * must... resist... compulsion... to... respond... with... extremely... crude... joke... * :-X

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• <----- :? * must... resist... compulsion... to... respond... with... extremely... crude... joke... * :-X

Ok , I will go there.. you only need 1... Just turn it over. ! :razz:

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Any bench that's worth anything isn't going to be able to be hung from just a 2x4 wall.

I would put a post on each corner (4) and then attach it to the wall just to keep it from moving.

There are lots of plans available for free on the web.

• For cabinets look for some used kitchen cabinets. I got the ones in my shed from the Habitat For humanity Re Sale store CHEAP or talk to a builder that remodels kitchens most times they just toss them in a dumpster. X2 on the workbench build it heavy with a post on both front corners.

• If it was me building a bench, I would look into a metal bench top. You would be able to weld on it or to it if needed plus you can ground to it if your welding a small part.

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

• I'm extremely happy with my Gladiator cabinets. Lighter than wood cabinets, can hold 250lbs, and not bothered by bugs, leaking fluids, or humidity. Throw in your 10% Guard discount at Lowes and they're not that bad.

Lighting was the next best upgrade in my book. Can't beat the power of some good 4' or 8' fluorescents.

Last thing is a bit unusual, but I say a computer. My beat up old laptop is invaluable. Has a billion service manuals in it, can get a quick tech answer without cleaning up and going in the house, and comes in handy when converting torques, quantities, or the like. Catch up with Carl for a good deal on one.

• Went to Lowe's in Camden last night to pick up some supplies. The place was very understaffed; management has done a great job of firing their good, seasoned employees to save money and ruin morale. Good job, Lowe's!! Anyway, I didn't see Gladiator cabinets on the shelves and nobody was there to help me, so I just left. Chris, I'll look into that some more.

I was thinking of making the frame of the workbench out of angle iron, but I decided to stick with wood since it's less expensive and I'm more comfortable working with that. Lowe's didn't have the white plastic pegboard -- I'm sure I bought it there before -- so I bought a sheeet of the traditional stuff. The bench top itself will be Adventech -- strong, durable, weather resistent, and easy to work with. Looks like roughing in the electric -- which will involve the lighting -- will keep me busy for awhile.

• Thanks Keith and Ian. There were definitely some nifty setups in that GarageJournal thread, especially the guy from California.

• For cabinets look for some used kitchen cabinets. I got the ones in my shed from the Habitat For humanity Re Sale store CHEAP...

Found the store in Dover! It's closed today but will hit it tomorrow. :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!