Server move starting tonight

• Sometime after midnight I'm going to attempt to move the forum, gallery and front page site to a new host. While the network issues have decreased greatly, they still happen and I've had enough. I've had a hosting account with 1and1, the new host, for over a month and it's been stable. There will likely be a few issues during the transfer but hopefully not too bad.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• If you can see this.. you're looking at the new server setup. Currently just the forum, the website and gallery will come soon.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• DNS caching.. your computer has the old address saved. Should be good when you get home, if not... reboot. :)

going to bed for a few, post up if you find any issues. I *think* everything is running ok.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Thanks Jerry , FYI, the site is certainly faster now too. Good Job!

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• yeah it seems to be around a tenth of a second faster at the server side. Just enough to make a difference. It seems faster loading, maybe since the servers are closer, I believe this is in NY.

Keith reported seeing an error a few hours ago, if you see any problems, please take note of what happened and let me know about it. This configuration doesn't show me all of the error messages like the old server did.

Jerry / Whatevah

• My Android worked great this morning but since then I am getting this screen and can't sign on. Any thoughts?

It says something about the server move. I cleared cache, history, etc. :shrug:

• yeah it seems to be around a tenth of a second faster at the server side. Just enough to make a difference. It seems faster loading, maybe since the servers are closer, I believe this is in NY.

Keith reported seeing an error a few hours ago, if you see any problems, please take note of what happened and let me know about it. This configuration doesn't show me all of the error messages like the old server did.

May wanna look at kicking down TTL's a few days in advance if doing a move like this again as it looks like you're at 86400. We usually kick it to 60 a couple days in advance of large changes w/ minimal effect on server load. Just got back to my office and still had a cached entry in our external DNS w/ just under 3hrs remaining until it expired. 'Luckily' I was able to take care of that... ;)

FWIW AT&T and Comcrap are caching as well...verified on my home box and phone.

--Ian

• I *thought* I had it set down to 6 hours... lol guess not

my AT&T phone has the new addy, did this morning, too. ah well... "oops"

Jerry / Whatevah

• We need a "data geek" translation mode. ;D

time to live. In its simplest form DNS provides name->IP address translation so that when you type in http://www.delawareja.com the computer knows where the server is located. To provide a scalable solution DNS servers cache the responses to queries. When the entry was updated to point to the new server the TTL was set to 86400 seconds, or 24hrs. Basically if the DNS server (or upstream provider) that your PC references had cached that entry at some point in the past 24hrs it would need to expire before it will update. In some cases providers ignore TTLs (either shortening or, more than likely, lengthening) that can further complicate matters. Given that we run our own I was able to flush the cache and essentially throw away the cached record. In Billy's case he's screwed until VZW expires it. I checked my home box and it looks like comcast will bump mine down there in ~3.5hrs.

--Ian

• I *thought* I had it set down to 6 hours... lol guess not

my AT&T phone has the new addy, did this morning, too. ah well... "oops"

heh, mebbe...from what I could see it the min was 86400 and based on the remaining time, the fact that I'm prob the only one in the company to have cause a cached entry in our dns, and when I left yesterday it looked to be 24hrs. Whichever, shit happens. :laughing:

--Ian

• ok, I checked and I did have it set for 6 hours, however........... I was using dyndns slaved off of the primary server and they apparently ignored the TTL and used their own. *sigh*

Jerry / Whatevah

• So what do you guys think about the using the Cloud instead of servers? Too new at this point?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• This should probably be a new thread but...explain the difference between the two first and I'll tell you my opinion. <hint: the 'cloud' is all marketing>

Um yeah, remember when the Amazon "cloud" crashed and burned? That wasn't supposed to be able to happen. Lol Server and network architecture/reliability are still only as good as their weakest link...

• 'The Cloud'...now that's some seriously funny shit. A marketers wet freakin' dream. I want to know where people think this mysterious cloud resides? :bang:

John- The 'cloud' is just a marketing term for non-technical executives that 'sounds' futuristic and high tech. In reality it is a "hosted solution" or "outsourced" but both of those tend to have negative connotations.

Happy.

Little.

Clouds.

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!