Local Wheeling

• Thought I would pass along some potentially useful info. Don't know anything about this club but...

Just sold some tires to a memeber (RustyTJ) of Eastern Shore Jeep Association (http://www.easternshorejeep.com) out of Salisbury, MD and he mentioned that they lease 60+ acres in Delmar to wheel. The requirement is become a member of ESJA and pay $100/year which goes to the lease. I assume that you can wheel any time you want.

He also mentioned that they have a jeep "show" at the jeep dealership down there in June (I think) and then they go camp/wheel for the weekend.

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• hmmm Interesting this was brought up, I was wondering has our club ever considered doing something like this or leasing some land up or down state delaware? Im sure It would be quite expensive and Im not even sure we have the kind of budget or man/woman power to manage a DEJA mud park....but has anyone ever checked out any locations Just for fun and get an Idea of what It would be to lease a property for a year? I never contacted the actual owner because Its not really my place and I certainly do not have the budget to manage a property on my own but I did check out a place behind Delaware Industrial Park on Rt. 72 that runs between I-95 and the neighborhood Scottsfield. I work for the land use sections at the new castle county government center so I was able to get some Info about the property....Its broken up Into 2 parcels and is a total of 95 acres! There are tons of trails and swampy areas back there...so If we ever have though about leasing some property this might be a good spot to check out.....Its not being used for anything at this time...I have the contact Info so If someone higher in ranks would like me to pass It on and maybe contact the owner...let me know....
    Josh

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• Interesting. How much would a lease on the land cost? More importantly since the land would not be fenced off, how would the club be liable if someone not associated with the club went onto the land and got hurt or did some environmental damage?

It does sound like a cool idea. I always thought the land behind the Burger King at Hares Corner in New Castle had potential.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I know exactly where your talking about. I've been back there years ago when I had my old truck. I was told you'll never get bothered back there and I've been considering taking my Jeep back there. The only thing stopping me is that I'm not for sure I can't get in trouble and now that I have the DEJA sticker on the windshield I don't want to get into any trouble and give the club a bad name. I know that several people still use that for 4 wheeling because I saw some back there about a week ago while I was on 95.
    Might be worth a call. The biggest catch would be trying to keep others off of it if we did rent it. :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• As far as the liability part goes, I believe the way Greggo & Ferrara handled that with 4 wheelers using their property was to post "no trespassing signs". If they are illegally on your property they would not have much of a case. Several people were hurt and a think one or two quad runners were even killed on their property. I dont remember hearing any suits against them.

• yea the man that owns It owns several propertys around new castle county and other states, I dont want to disclose his name but I will say that he owns the concord mall and is very wealthy so he will either lease It for alot, or he may do It very cheap as a sponsoring type thing for our club and turn It Into a legal off-roading park. We could get It fenced off, gated and we could modify the trails slightlt to turn It in to a nice place for legal wheeling, I have not been back there in a very long time as well, I can say I was back there a couple times when I first got my XJ and I was never bothered by anyone but Im sure It is Illegal since It is someone elses private property....I will also say that for those with highly modified Jeeps I definatley think there are trails for you as well....when I went about a year ago there was a trail that had a swamp in the center and I was not nearly daring enough to cross It in a stock Jeep so If I remember correctly there are some challenging obsticles out there...again maybe we can discuss this at a upcoming meeting? Joe, Paul?

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• I agree the muds not always the best for the Jeep in keepin It in good condition but Its def apart of wheeling, but Its not like we couldnt bring some boulders in there and create a rockcrawling course of all levels?

• We're actually in the process of pricing large stone for a rock section. While we are limited due to terrain issues,flat,there are some off-camber areas and yes mud. There is a bonfire ring and large open camping area. The existing trails only utilize 1/3 of the land with new trails being cut as weather permits difficulty ranges from stock to "Go ahead and get your winch ready" even with large tires. The Jeep show in June is at Sherwood in Salisbury and I'll post hte details here for you guys later tonight. If anyone is interested in checking out the land post on the site and we'll let you know when somebody can meet you for a look see. The land is located 1 mile from Rt. 13 just north of Delmar. All are welcome!

• Im Interested in checkin It out and wheeling sometime or coming to your Jeep show....please pm me or email me with details, JDEL616@aol.com, where is delmar? around dover? Im in newark, never heard of delmar! lol

• Quote from "XJ99"

Im Interested in checkin It out and wheeling sometime or coming to your Jeep show....please pm me or email me with details, JDEL616@aol.com, where is delmar? around dover? Im in newark, never heard of delmar! lol

Delmar is on the southern Delaware Marryland line
    about one hour south of dover.

It would be sweet to have our own wheeling land...but often their are problems that come with that.

I know ESJA is having some issues with unwanted people using their land

The cost of the land and insurance is another issue

And a few others

I do not want to sound like a Glass is half empty type guy just pointing out the issues that may pop up
    If we can over come these issues without putting an added burden on the cost of club membership, I am all for looking into it.

• I have often thought of the same thing, and was thinking of bringing it up in the members section to see if there is any interest. I think it is a great idea for a club to have its own 'stomping grounds'. :up:

• Quote from "XJ99"

where is delmar? around dover? Im in newark, never heard of delmar! lol

Oh brother. :doh: :laughing:

Delmar(the town too big for one state) is the little red star at the bottom of the state.

• Hmmmm, let's see...

DELaware + MARyland

Yup... that's it, right thar on the line. Never noticed that big red star before though...

DrJ

• well you learn something new everyday.... I see well maybe I'll check It out sometime this summer cause I will be at the delaware/maryland beachs and Asitique Island most of the summer....

but yea from up here in newark thats about a 2 hr+ drive to go wheeling and with PAP in that time distance I can Just got north, but It would always be cool to check out some new legal wheeling spots....

yea BBD I understand all the Insurance Issues and Just the cost of land alone and how It could affect member ship price but thats why I never really brought the topic up before, so I agree

• Quote from "Bonkers"

The big red star used to stand between the racetrack and the wawa but Minner got it removed because it contained lead paint and was killing delaware's children...

Now I remember it! We drove by it on our family's last big vacation trip. Here's a picture of it (of course it ain't lit up during the day).

• Quote from "XJ99"

delaware/maryland beachs and Asitique Island most of the summer....

Did you possibly mean Assateauge Island? I have a house right across the bay from the island. I've lived down there for the past like 10 summers. Sadly, I doubt I'll be going back this summer, that stupid real job thing. :doh:

• Not to be confused with Marydel, which I believe is on the western edge of Delaware. They couldn't come up with a more original name?

Other issues we may be forced to face with the property in mention is that I believe it is surrounded by residential properties. This may create an issue with the surrounding community. But if we could get the property, or a property we would probably have to put some work into to make some challenging obstacles.

Anyone own a back hoe or dozer?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!