LED tail lights

• Im thinking about putting in some led tail lights but i have a quick question. Do you guys have trouble passing inspection with them in? I live in DE and im just curious even though i will be shipped somewhere else within a year for the navy. Also, what do you do for a reverse light and license plate light? Thanks

Nick

• I've done them on 2 jeeps, and I will not do them again. Just not worth it IMHO. I'm sure others will disagree, but such is life.
    You need the LED's, side markers and License plate lite. Red reflective tape is needed for some states as well. it all needs to be wired up and depending on the year, either a new relay needs to be installed or the flasher relay needs to be modified.

• They are a pain to do correctly... Artie touched on everything. lights, side markers and reflectors or tape if your lights aren't reflective (most aren't!). Then you need to get a new turn signal flasher to so they don't do the "look at me, I have a bulb out" fast flash. For the plate light, there are a lot of dedicated plate lights you can get, try a trailer parts store (Eastern Marine in Newark is good) for some local stuff. You don't need reverse lights to pass DE inspection, but if you have a square tube hitch, Pep Boys has a kit that attaches to the crossbar. Or just pick up a cheap fog light kit from Walmart.

If done right, I think they're pretty cool (and obviously, a lot of other think so, too), but they are a pain to do right.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I bought the LED replacement lights from pepboys and haven't had any issue at all. It was an easy install and it drivers side has a dedicated license plate light built in. Are we talking recessed or the flat mount LED's?? :shrug:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• We're talking about doing the flush mounted tractor trailer lights.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• OIC... I like the look of the LEDs but I think I would inset them vertically. They do look like a PIA to mess with though.

Chris- is that your Jeep? I like the way the tailgate is hinged to drop down.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• LED tail lights are great IMO...mine was a very simple install. You will need to replace the flasher relay and light the plate somehow (as Artie said).

I used cheap trailer LED's and ORO lights for the plate:

• I have them on mine. I didn't recess them I mounted them on a box and bolted to the stock light location. I have led side markers and led back up lights all mounted on the light box. As stated you will need to get an electronic flasher thats around 10 bucks at napa.

• LED tail lights are great IMO...mine was a very simple install. You will need to replace the flasher relay and light the plate somehow (as Artie said).

I used cheap trailer LED's and ORO lights for the plate:

do you ever unload that shit in the back of your jeep? poor jeep ;( it looks constipated

• [size=3] I got mine off of E-bay with the flasher. Installed them last week and I really like them! Instruction weir complete for wiring, but be sure to tell them what your vehicle is.[/size]

• I was thinking about doing this to my jeep. I really like these. But again, I live in Delaware and had an awful time going through inspection when I converted my front lights to LEDs because I put on tube fenders. First the 3/4" lights weren't big enough, so i drilled 4" lights into the grill (which I think looks better anyway), then the LEDs weren't reflective. Does anyone know if putting reflective tape would allow you pass inspection?

• Does anyone know if putting reflective tape would allow you pass inspection?

I failed for a few things last week and one thing was not having the rear side marker lights on the corners since my tailights are flush just like the one in Quadna's post on the first page. I use the red rectangular reflectors they sell at any auto store that say "DOT". Went back through and passed. I've done this every time I go through and they let it go.

• MrFendleton,

I have the same LED's you posted the link to. I personally love them! But....they didn't pass DE inspection b/c they did not have a side view light and they were not reflective. I ended up temporarily gluing on some side lights that I hooked up with quick disconnects and put reflectors on the back and side. It ended up passing the second time around after they gave me a hard time about the size of my rear side-view light.

Its almost worth it in DE to wire up a set of factory light that you can temporarily screw on for inspection.

-Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!