YJ Tub and VIN

• My '87 YJ tub is getting more than a bit rotted out and I will be starting the hunt for a new tub this summer. What is the hassle (if any) to transfer VIN numbers on my title with the Delaware DMV?

Mike

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• keep your vin and just change the tub. all you need is a pop rivit to transfer your firewall plate

aaron

• why would it not be legal. the vin is tided to the chassi. the tub is just body work. people repair and replace body parts all the time. he is not making a new jeep or transfering his vin to anything stolen. also the vin tag that is viewed through the window is retained also.

aaron

• why would it not be legal. the vin is tided to the chassi. the tub is just body work. people repair and replace body parts all the time. he is not making a new jeep or transfering his vin to anything stolen. also the vin tag that is viewed through the window is retained also.

aaron

Pretty sure removing and re-riveting a VIN plate regardless of where it is attached is illegal.

If you have to change it to make it right, then something's wrong.

• this like does not apply. he is not altering or removing the vin. he is replacing the sheet metel that it is attached to and putting it back in the same place. that article is refering to people transfering vins to stolen or non registerable vehicles.

• Pretty sure removing and re-riveting a VIN plate regardless of where it is attached is illegal.

If you have to change it to make it right, then something's wrong.

what are you talking about. he is not trying to defraud anyone he is repairing his jeep. repair shops and jeep owners do this all the time. there is nothing wrong with simple swaping the tub as the again the vin is not tied to the tub or the bodywork it is tied to the chassie.

• When we order dash's at work they come without the vin. You either have to be real careful getting the old one off or we can even order a new one and slap it on. It is legal to replace what the vin is attached to as long as the vin stays with the chassis.

• You can always call the DMV and ask too either ask for the head inspector or the auto theft division. Worst they may make you do is take photographic evidence. Vin's started in 81 and I'm sure there are plenty of 81+ CJ's rolling around with glass bodys. They have to have done something. A body shop might be another good place to ask. They replace stuff like that all the time.

• DMV will tell you it's illegal. You'll need the title for the vehicle your getting the tub from and a receipt showing that you purchased it.

or you can just switch the plates and not tell anyone like everyone else does.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm confused...
    If I own the vehicle, and I own the new tub, and I own the vin that's on the vehicle... what the hell difference does it make? Long as u can produce paperwork on everything, I'm sure its fine.

• exactly. You have to prove ownership essentially.

But will they check? I doubt it...unless it's me. :shrug:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm confused...
    If I own the vehicle, and I own the new tub, and I own the vin that's on the vehicle... what the hell difference does it make? Long as u can produce paperwork on everything, I'm sure its fine.

The whole point of having multiple vin tags is to cut down on hack shops selling parts from stolen vehicles.

If there's no check system, or if it's considered OK to just swap tags, then it really is a rather pointless system.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!