Help me pick a Wheel

• #4. and I'll tell you why:
    (if you are intending on wheeling them. Otherwise, ignore the following opinion, it is irrelevant.)

not #1 - I have actually had these on 2 XJs that have seen a lot of trail time. My first XJ, I bought them because I thought they looked cool, and (like Billy said) I thought they would protect the rim and valve stem better than having nothing. However, I've torn valve stems off despite the extra protection. I've bent more than one of the flanges, and they are nearly impossible to bend back straight. The bolt heads stick out and get caught on rocks and get torn up and end up looking like crap. Crud gets between the beadlock flange and the wheel bowl, and it is surprising difficult to get out. So I replaced them with the D-window Cragars as mentioned in my previous post. So why did I get the sim-beadlocks the second time? My second XJ (the DeJA club rig) had sim beadlocks on it when I bought it. I replaced them a few weeks ago with Pro Comp Xtreme Rock Crawler Series 52 Black Wheels (also D-window - just personal preference on the D-window vs the Soft 8s).

As for the others, they will get scratched and gouged on rocks and basically end up looking like crap. At least with #1, you can rattle-can the scratches and they will look just fine.

just my $.02.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• How well does the balancing powder or beads work for a daily driver that frequently travels at highway speeds? I always hear good and then bad about these but I dont have any personal experience.

When I tried to balance my MTZ's with Classic 2's on a spin balancer, it errored out so they must have really sucked. Balancing powder did the trick so I didn't even bother trying to spin balance when I bought the Cragar soft 8's.

I'm actually only running two tires with powder right now. If I don't put those two on the front, the Jeep will shake like crazy so the powder is obviously doing it's job. Some day I'll add powder to the other two so I can actually rotate the tires.

For tires that are tough to balance, centramatics or powder work pretty well. :up:

• How well does the balancing powder or beads work for a daily driver that frequently travels at highway speeds? I always hear good and then bad about these but I dont have any personal experience.

They perform shockingly well. Immediately after getting my 33" MT/Rs installed on my dd XJ, I drove to Daddanelena's house to pick up some parts he had for me. I was cruising along with traffic in the fast lane on the PA turnpike, and glanced down at my speedo, and to my surprise, I was smoothly speeding at over 80 mph.
    :innocent:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Options 2 and 3

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I do plan on wheeling with them but I do some pretty light wheeling compared to you and others. Is your opinion on #1 the same is the ring is held on with a few bolts and can be removed if crud was stuck behind the flange or replaced/swapped with a new pair if they were bent or beat to hell? I could see it being a pita in the winter with snow and slush getting caught in there while driving.

The Cragers are definetly a cheaper route to go and I do like the classic look but I keep on going around because I dont want to have buyers regret.

Balancing powder or beads sounds like a really good option. Whats the go to brand to use so I can get a price for my budget counsler?

• I do plan on wheeling with them but I do some pretty light wheeling compared to you and others. Is your opinion on #1 the same is the ring is held on with a few bolts and can be removed if crud was stuck behind the flange or replaced/swapped with a new pair if they were bent or beat to hell? I could see it being a pita in the winter with snow and slush getting caught in there while driving.

I had the Cragar StreetLocks (twice :o ), so the brand you are looking at may not be the pita that mine were.

~ JD

• I just looked up the back spacing for Option 3 wheels, Black Rhino Sidewinders and it says they are 5.24''. Most things I read said the minamal for 37x12.5 tires should be 4.5'' of back spacing. With that said, is that too much on the Black Rhino's? I'd rather not get spacers.

• option 1 & 4. then afterwards decide you dont like em give em to me

OEF 2011-12<br />Its not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it&#039;s the blood you share, your family, your friends, your community, these are the most important things a man can have.

• Looks like tires are over $400 each X 5 is $2000 minimum plus wheels.

Sounds like a deal to me.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Do it. MT/Rs on steelies!
    [size=1](that's my setup on both XJs)[/size][size=3] [/size][size=1] :up: [/size]

~ JD

• Id say thats a great deal.. They look nearly new , mounted on nice steelies and balanced..

New $440 each plus wheels are $55 each. So thats like $2000 plus mount /bal.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Done! I'm sending the money to my friend tomorrow and he'll be picking them up and holding them until he comes back through on his way to Jersey or I end up going down to Raeford, NC to visit him.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!