Anybody go clamming?

• I've been a few times in years past. Friends of ours have a house in OC and they took us out. They anchored up next to a sandbar and we just hopped out onto the bar with clam rakes. They had a 5 gallon bucket with a kids pool ring around it. Half the fun was raking for clams and the other half was throwing them into the bucket a few feet away w/o missing. It was really fun but my shoulders ached for awhile after b/c of all the raking. The rakes are nice to use but not altogether effective. We would just drag the rake till we hit a clam and then dig it out by hand. It's amazing how fast those lil suckers can dig to get away from you. I think between the 6 of us we came back with about 5 dozen. We definitely pulled up more than that but we missed the bucket on occassion. :innocent:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• We go to "redneck beach" Down in the indain river bay. Its a sandbar a ton of people go to. It actually turns into a lil island if the tide is low enough. All we do for clamming is actually just shuffle your feet. Once you feel one you just pick it up. We bring rakes but it gets annoying, and it actually seems easier and produces more with your feet. We usually cook the small ones up right on the spot with some sriracha. And the bigger ones go to the freezer as bait. I still have a few bags in the freezer for bait. Its fun to do to with some friends and a beer in your hand. ;D

• We clam every once in awhile in the Rehoboth bay at the sandbar outside the ditch. I'm no good at it, but know some people that get some good numbers. Lot's of people do it in the Indian River bay like frankinjeep said. There are several good spots. I heard right outside of holts landing is good, but watch out for the sharks! :help:

• I've been a few times in years past. Friends of ours have a house in OC and they took us out. They anchored up next to a sandbar and we just hopped out onto the bar with clam rakes. They had a 5 gallon bucket with a kids pool ring around it. Half the fun was raking for clams and the other half was throwing them into the bucket a few feet away w/o missing. It was really fun but my shoulders ached for awhile after b/c of all the raking. The rakes are nice to use but not altogether effective. We would just drag the rake till we hit a clam and then dig it out by hand. It's amazing how fast those lil suckers can dig to get away from you. I think between the 6 of us we came back with about 5 dozen. We definitely pulled up more than that but we missed the bucket on occassion. :innocent:

Ditto on the foot vs. rake comment, we have done it a couple times in OC MD too. We usually keep them suspended in the water from the dock in an onion bag overnight, seems to flush out the silt and sand, maybe it's just me but they seem to taste better the day after instead of the day we catch them.

• Another good place is Cape Hen @ the pier. Very shallow water and a great place. However, you have to pay to get in. Any spot in the back bay is a great source of clamming. I've never been either and I always get the tag for it. I even have the rack and stuff. Maybe get a gang to go sometime? Only small issue is I've seen, noticed and have been told that there is an increase of shark sightings... :shark:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• guessing a fishing license is required? if you can access the water using your surf tag vehicle...do you need a license?

• You can surf @ Hen but where you can surf fish it's not ideal fishing unless you drive around to the back of the bay side @ Herring Point. You can also try it @ Broadkill if it's a calm day. But Yes you need a licese. I think it's covered under the crabbing or is a small add on to it. I can't remember. If I remember correctly it is an add on to the crabbing portion.

(Why hasn't the site gone with some type of spell checker???)

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• I know in Maryland the boat license covers clams and crabs up to a certain quanity. The Delaware surf tag also is a complimentary fishing license and covers clamming according to what i read on the DNR website along with a FIN #

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!