brake issue...

• I've been having serious brake issues when I first start my jeep... seems like I gotta let it buld pressure before I go anywhere... and every once and a while I gotta pull the brake pedal up with my foot.... any ideas what the issues are.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Whoops 91 yj 4.0 manual... I did the rear brakes and had to replace a break cylinder. I bled the rear and I passed the dmv inspection like a week ago... just getting worse as the days get long...

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder? if you did not a bubble might be trapped. Plus when you do a new master cylinder you should bleed the entire system. Find a buddy and bleed the piss out of it, front and back.
    Cj-

• Leaking brake power booster can be a issue.. make sure the obvious is good , the vacuum connection.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I had to replace the rear brake cylinder sorry... And i bled the breaks a lot.... I dunno I'm totally lost...

• Sounds too me like the master cylinder has an internal leak. Once your brakes have pressure, if you press the pedal and hold it, does the pedal slowly drop down to the floor?

• Double check that you have the steel line going into the wheel cylinder tight enough (it should be dry by now from the previous bleeding). If it is not quite sealed it can aquire an air pocket and or leak fluid and give the symptoms you are describing.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• X3 on the brake booster. Check the vacuum line and connections that go from the intake manifold to the booster.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ugh. My pedal goes to the floor period haha... there is no pressure on the brakes @ all.... I'm wondering when I changed my rear cylinder if I bled the brakes the wrong way... I was told I gotta bleed all of them starting from the farthest from the master cylinder and work my way around...it started after I did the brake test @ the dmv...

• Ugh. My pedal goes to the floor period haha... there is no pressure on the brakes @ all.... I'm wondering when I changed my rear cylinder if I bled the brakes the wrong way... I was told I gotta bleed all of them starting from the farthest from the master cylinder and work my way around...it started after I did the brake test @ the dmv...

Any chance the master cylinder went dry while bleeding the brakes?

If so, you will have to bleed it first, then the brakes again.

You can get kits to bleed the master for under $10.

• I just bled my brakes about 10 minutes ago... I was told if the master cylinder was bad if you press your brake while the jeeps running you'll drop rpm... which I did and my rpms are fine.... bled the brakes and I got a little pedal back finally.. I think I my have to readjust my rear brakes hopefully.... I did a rebuild on them a few months ago and it was braking great and it slowly died off again.... is there the possibility my automatic adjusters weren't installed right... and its kinda my luck this would happen haha... I mean could they adjust to the point where it would cause my rear brakes to not work?

• By the way I truly appreciate all your guys input on this. Its been a on going battle for a month now....

• It's not going to change the engine RPM... That's like getting an STD from a toilet seat.

Drum brakes suck to work on unless you do it all the time.

Very easy to get stuff back together wrong. I know. :doh:

Good idea to pull both wheels/drums, but do one at a time so you can look at the other one.

Happy to say, all my vehicle wheels have discs. ;D

• Did you check to see if one of the metal brake lines isn't leaking? Maybe when they did the brake test a line blew out? Oh in my over 20 years of work in a automotive shop i've never once seen a self adjuster that didn't need to be manually adjusted.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Haha keith I learned that one the hard way.... it truly sucks not know how things went back together... I had to actually watch a you tube video... and I checked all my lines and they seemed fine. When I bled my brakes they just dribbled out which I'm thinking that's not good.... but I got a little peddle back... brakea are a truly frustrating beast by the way.

• Sounds like you need to do a full bleed on the system making sure the MC stays full. Did you install the new rear drum brake cylinder with the bleeder valve facing the right way? is sounds like the MC drained while you were changing the brakes, or there could be some crud in the system. I would pull the MC, clean it, bench bleed it, and then bleed the entire system.
    It sounds like you have a bubble somewhere.

Cj-

• I'm hoping that's it ... also could a frozen caliper do this also? Guess my weekend of not working onmy jeep has turned into a weekend of bliss.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!