Opinions on JK Engine Skid

• My girlfriend recently purchased a 14 JK Sport. After last week's trail ride in my TJ she is ready to take hers on its maiden voyage. Knowing her she wont be happy sticking to greens, I figure an engine skid would be a good first purchase. I haven't found any that seem that much better than any others so I'm looking for suggestions.

• I did fine without one. Tell her a little scraping noise is scary at first but she'll get over it. :mrgreen:

I didn't get so lucky in my JK. I've only wheeled it three or four times and I have two pretty good dents in the oil pan.
    The cross member and fuel tank skid are even worse. :doh:

Personally Wayne, I'd replace the cross member and buy a Clayton engine skid. Maybe give them a call because they may have something that works without replacing the stock cross member. Not sure. :shrug:

Info here: http://claytonoffroad.com/prod…th/15_132/products_id/429

• replace the crossmember, it's a POS, bent mine 3 inches first time weeling it. got a guaraunteed bombproofe one from under cover fabworks. he told me if I bend or break it they would replace it. idont think I even scratched it yet & I'm not easy on it to say the least.

• Is the stock rubicon cross member alot better than the normal jk cross member? I think I can get my hands on one cheap but Im not sure if its worth it.

I could be wrong but I don't think they are different. Mine is a Rubicon and bent very easily so even if they are different, they aren't any better.

• The newer models don't really have an engine skid at all. All they have is a bar going between the frame rails by the transmission (I've got mine if you want it). Everything else is completely exposed. Finesse will get you through a lot, but I added a JCR engine/trans skid right before I left for Colorado and Utah. Never touched it... :) No experience with the stock crossmember, but if the other guys are saying it's weak... I'd do something to help it out.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• The newer models don't really have an engine skid at all. All they have is a bar going between the frame rails by the transmission (I've got mine if you want it). Everything else is completely exposed. Finesse will get you through a lot, but I added a JCR engine/trans skid right before I left for Colorado and Utah. Never touched it... :) No experience with the stock crossmember, but if the other guys are saying it's weak... I'd do something to help it out.

See thats what I was told with the new factory crossmember that their isnt one, its not a skid like the tj but just a bar. In all honesty I keep forgetting to get under their and take a look. Im thinking of grabbing the factory rubicon skid so at least I have some protection, as of now this isnt going to see rocks.....at least for awhile, Ive got my crawler so this is more of a family expidition style/beach rig. So I figure this would be some cheap insurance in the meantime to protect it better than nothing. Is the coverage decent though?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!