Jeep Failed Inspection...

• Ran the Cj through inspiration lastnight and it failed. They got me for a gas cap and rear marker lights.

The cap fails every time I go through. They go bad every two years? For the rear side marker light, I have recessed LED tail lights. They have been on the jeep ten years now. That's five inspections and never an issue with the tail lights. Anyone else have the same issues???

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• Ran the Cj through inspiration lastnight and it failed. They got me for a gas cap and rear marker lights.

The cap fails every time I go through. They go bad every two years? For the rear side marker light, I have recessed LED tail lights. They have been on the jeep ten years now. That's five inspections and never an issue with the tail lights. Anyone else have the same issues???

I have to inspire my Jeep daily just to get her out of the driveway! :razz:

I spent the extra coin on a locking gas cap a few years back. It failed inspection and I had only bought about a year before. Hopefully the regular OEM one I bought lasts a little longer since I'm due for inspection in August. Are they failing you b/c the side marker is flush/recessed? The front markers on my Xenon flares are just a tad recessed but I've never had any mention of them being by a DMV rep of not being passable. If it were me, I'd go through a different inspection center or lane again and see if they pass you. They'll usually have some type of comment in their system as to why you failed but it's usually not detailed as to the exact issue.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• They cant pressurize a CJ gas tank, so they can only test the cap. Apply a bit of oil or grease to the rubber seal on the cap (Both sides) should pass every time.

For the rear lights, add a small red LED on each side of each corner. That should satisfy the "Rear Side" viability issue. Technically they are right, they just dont always ping folks on them.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Thanks guys. Yes I meant inspection. LoL. Boy it felt good to drive her again after a year of down time. Deadfeat, that actually looks cool. Ur Cj looks damn near like mine...

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• There also needs to be 6sq inch of reflector on the side and back.2" circle works. If the led does not have a reflective lens u have to put stickers on the body

• I've had the same problems. I bought reflective side maker lights and stuck them to the side with double-sided tape. Wired them in, left wires exposed. They didn't have a problem with them, and I refined the look later. Gas cap, new every two.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

• I have flush LEDs on the back as well and used to have a LED side markers in the rear. when I put my corners on I didn't cut a hole for the side markers. Last couple of years I've gotten away with using DOT approved red reflectors for side markers when I run through. They haven't said a word about it yet. think they were about 2"x3" rectangular.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!