Oh my god, not another Death Wobble thread! NO! NO! NOOO!!!

• Update:

Sometimes it just takes a new set of eyes on the problem.

I brought it to Aaron a while back. He tightened up a bunch of stuff and replaced a few things he didn't like. I had BDS control arms with johnny joints, and he wasn't confident that they were not contributing to the wobble, so he (temporarily) swapped out both uppers and lowers with stock TJ arms. Yet he couldn't kill the Death Wobble.

Then he discovered a problem with something I hadn't considered. About six years ago, I did the Go-fer-it OTK tie rod flip. After all of the brutal beatings I gave this Jeep offroad, the Go-fer-it inserts were worn. I ordered a new set and had them shipped to him.

Death Wobble gone. THANK YOU, AARON. YOU DA MAN. :hug:

He still didn't like the control arms, so returned my Jeep to me with the TJ arms.

Of course the lower TJ arms were too short for my lift, so caster was ridiculously forward, and the Jeep wandered all over the road to point where it was a complete hazard.

I ordered a set of Rusty's adjustable LCAs with heim joints. Holy Shite, these are nice - really heavily built. I installed them yesterday. I lengthened them 1.5" longer than the stock TJ LCAs. Now the caster is rolled back quite a bit. Took it for a test drive and the ride was okay and the handling was okay - of course I will never expect to have 'good' handling with my build - ''okay' is about the best I can ever hope for. I took it out for a test-drive on a road that I know had some rough spots and where I could get up some speed. It does have 'shimmy' when hitting bumps while going any faster than 45mph, but despite my best efforts, I couldn't get it into a Death Wobble.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Congrats! :up: :up:

.... now to plan your next jump! :innocent:

hehe. I have developed and cultivated a reputation over the years. :innocent:

No jumps with this XJ anytime soon. I don't wheel this XJ anymore - at least not yet, it will almost certainly see trails again at some point. My trail rig has also been out-of-service for some time now because I break front axle shafts nearly every time I take it out. I am almost certain that the D30 housing is bent. I have finally acquired a new housing, and need to find time to make the swap. This is one of a number of reasons you guys haven't seen me on the trails in a long while.
    ;(

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Second the Rusty's adjustable arms. I don't think they have a bad name in the Jeep community (they're no Smittybuilt) but I don't think they have the best name, however all of my control arms are Rusty's and they've been rock solid for years. I have nothing to complain about. Great choice.

BDS arms are what I pulled off. BDS has a great reputation. I believe the Rusty's stomp them, and the Rusty's cost less. I have some other Rusty's stuff on my rigs. I would recommend Rusty's without hesitation.

And their customer service is excellent. :up:

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Oh...

no......

:(

:bang:

~ JD

• I am ready to reluctantly admit defeat. :bang: I will make one more push. If we can't conquer this, I will pusillanimously capitulate to the evil and mighty Death Wobble.

If I reluctantly surrender to the enemy, I have a plan for a MAJOR change in my Jeep situation. My frustration level is off-the-charts. :anger: I almost welcome the change.

~ JD

• How sure are you that the frame/body is straight and squared? :shrug:

No, I am not sure. The Cherokee unibody is known to twist somewhat when subjected to the abuse I put this rig through, but I do believe it is straight. The computer alignment is good.

It does, however, seem to be listing about 1" passenger side height versus driver side height. But with the alignment being good, I didn't think the list would affect it. Maybe that is the cause - in which case, the Death Wobble on this Jeep can never be fixed.

~ JD

• Would a leveling kit fix the problem or just make it "look" right?

Jeep XJ (Lifted 2", Misc. goodies inside, 195k on body, 85k on inline 6) Jeep WJ (Stock, 236k on inline 6)

• I am very seriously considering just calling it quits with trying to get this beast road-worthy. :-\ :bang:

~ JD

• Four words:

Big. Dogs. Mud. Pit.

Followed by:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

$100 a shot. :mrgreen:

• hey John next time there's a meeting you should load it up and bring it down.maybe we can put our heads together and look at it before you call it quits.just a thought

• hey John next time there's a meeting you should load it up and bring it down.maybe we can put our heads together and look at it before you call it quits.just a thought

Thanks, but too late. I acquiesced, caved, cried uncle, gave up.

Big changes in my XJ situation in the works. Hints can be found in some of my other recent threads and posts.

~ JD

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!