Removing a Warn rear bumper...help!

• This weekend I intend to once again try to remove my Warn rear bumper (the kind with the tire carrier).
    https://www.warn.com/truck/mou…ms/rear_bumper_jeep.shtml
    I've tried before, and I just can't get it. There seems to be some hidden bolts or something else that I can't see preventing it from coming off -- or even loosening. If anyone has experience in this department, I'd appreciate your tips. My brain is stuck....just like the bumper. If anyone wants to give me a hand (located in Magnolia), I can arrange for beer and pizza.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Out of curiosity, why are you removing it? Stuck tire carrier spindle?

Two reasons. First, I want to deal with a little rust on the Jeep body, and the bumper is a little in the way. Second, I want to "adjust" the bumper a little using spacers or washers. I'm not sure when or why it happened, but the tire carrier leans backward just a little....it's not perfectly plumb. The spindle is fine. While I have it off, I thought I might figure out how to cock the bumper forward a smidge so that the tire carrier will also lean forward.

• Two reasons. First, I want to deal with a little rust on the Jeep body, and the bumper is a little in the way. Second, I want to "adjust" the bumper a little using spacers or washers. I'm not sure when or why it happened, but the tire carrier leans backward just a little....it's not perfectly plumb. The spindle is fine. While I have it off, I thought I might figure out how to cock the bumper forward a smidge so that the tire carrier will also lean forward.

A lot of carriers tilt/lean the tire back a bit to help reduce the stress on the rack..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Sounds like a good job for the BIG WRENCH!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Two reasons. First, I want to deal with a little rust on the Jeep body, and the bumper is a little in the way. Second, I want to "adjust" the bumper a little using spacers or washers. I'm not sure when or why it happened, but the tire carrier leans backward just a little....it's not perfectly plumb. The spindle is fine. While I have it off, I thought I might figure out how to cock the bumper forward a smidge so that the tire carrier will also lean forward.

Cool, my spindle locked up, ended up cutting it off and using the AtoZ spindle. Def keep it lubed.

Don't forget about the two bolts on the bottom and I expect you'll need a BFH to get it off from rust holding it together. Get all the bolts off, tie a strap through the hitch to a big tree and drive off. :)

• I'll be down at my parents house in Clayton this weekend. I may be able to give ya a hand late Saturday or early Sunday. I still have your # so I'll give you a call Saturday afternoonish and see where you're at with it.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Thanks everyone. I was not aware that some carriers are intentionally tilted back. That's interesting....and a little hard for me to figure. I will hit all the bolts/nuts I can find with Deep Creep tonight and tomorrow, but I think the problem is that there is something I'm not seeing. Jeremy, I have no firm plans this weekend, so give me a shout at your convenience.

• I seem to remember having bolts or nuts or something of the sort inside of the two W's on either end of the bumper when I had one. I could be making that up but for some reason I keep thinking i had to put a wrench in them for something.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I seem to remember having bolts or nuts or something of the sort inside of the two W's on either end of the bumper when I had one. I could be making that up but for some reason I keep thinking i had to put a wrench in them for something.

You are quite right. I am aware of those, and I've actually removed them with some effort in the past. But there are some others lurking around (I think). As an FYI to others with this bumper, I've added gussets to give more strength to the bumper-frame connection. They are aftermarket products, and I did it at the recommendation of Keith_C, since I sometimes pull a popup camper.....even though Warn says I'm not supposed to do that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!