Steering upgrade

• Next up for the XJ is upgrading the steering. I have researched various 1 Ton conversions, OTK and UTK. I am just looking for advice and or opinions on this subject. As an FYI I am planning to lift the XJ in the near future but have not decided on the height/tire size just yet. I am considering 3.5" w/31" or 4.5" w/33". Both short arm kits probably from RE. I am leaning towards keeping it UTK. Any input to help with the decision would be greatly appreciated.

• Currie. Installed a few they same to fit well. I drive yj's so i cant give u an opinion on how well they drive.

• Currie works with the only possible complaint being the price of replacement TREs. Granted I don't think I killed one of them so probably a moot point. 1 tons for a Jeep aren't always 1 tons. Cant help with the over/under knuckle part assuming thats what OTK/UTK mean.

• Currie steering is beefy... it's on my old XJ... but I think it's a little too expensive now.

If you do an OTK conversion you need to check for clearance with stock wheels. Aftermarket wheels with extra backspacing won't be a problem. OTK is cool for extra ground clearance, but it's also a lot of extra work.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• X 2 with the Currie set up, Aaron just set one up on my tj, nice and beefy compared to stock but as jerry said beefy price tag as well. For the tj it was right at $479.00. We also did performance pump, box and hydro assist, so I can't tell you how just the Currie made a difference if any besides the much beefier build. I'm still trying to relearn my steering, especially under 50mph, on curvy back roads it seems to take some effort to stay in my lane... :shrug:

• Iron Rock Offroad has a nice otk kit. Ive been running it for a couple years now and like it. Its less than the currie is. The currie is definiatly a great kit but I wanted an otk setup and I wanted hiems not tre's. Just make sure to get the big bolt option and drill the knuckles out vs the misalighnment spacers. The clearance is great vs stock and I think Ive put the weight of the front end on it a few times with no issues. Drives nice on the street, eliminated my bumb steer when I first installed it.
    http://www.ironrockoffroad.com…ROD&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS

• Not sure how I missed this thread but yeah....I agree on the Currie. They make an indestructible steering system.

frosty is right about the steering system and parts for it being pretty expensive but it won't leave you stranded on the trail. It's worth it IMO.

• My first thought is: Why might you be upgrading your steering? Usually that would come after the lift, not before - especially if you are still not even decided on a lift height and tire size.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• My first thought is: Why might you be upgrading your steering? Usually that would come after the lift, not before - especially if you are still not even decided on a lift height and tire size.

Because the stock steering is worn out and needs to be replaced. So its either replace it with stock oem tre's etc... or do an upgrade. Either way some of steering will be replaced twice. I get it that it would be cheaper just to throw some new tre's on and move on but I could also just as easily throw on a ZJ tie rod and drag link and get an upgrade. Also, the currie will work on a non lifted vehicle too. Even doing a WJ knuckle swap and DOM tubing before the lift is feasible. But again that would mean fabing some new parts and doing some things twice. FWIW, I believe the best solution right now is the ZJ upgrade. Then I can decide if I want to tackle the WJ knuckle swap with DOM tubing and adjustable track bar or a different option after the lift. I appreciate all the input as I am learning about this JEEP thing. I have done enough research lately to make my head hurt, lol. So many options, upgrades and different ways to do it all. But that's what I am enjoying the most.

• The zj set up works good. way stronger than stock and if you bend it you can always bend it back.I found the one I had at the junkyard for like 15 20dollars.I want to say it was on a v8 zj is where I found the one I had

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!