• I have a 1996 XJ and recently put on a 4.5 inch RC lift kit, and more recently put on BFG A/T KO 33x10.50x15 tires on her. i was coming home from work and got pulled over for speeding. mt jeep said i was going 55 mph, but the cop clocked me at 65 mph in a 50 mph zone. thank god he was understanding that i put bigger tires on the jeep and wasn't sure of the speed of it yet. (ticket was only 5 over :spinrhead: ).

I wanna know if there's a way I can fix that so my speedometer is right or close to being right? P.S. i plan on putting an SYE kit on soon and wasn't sure if that would effect it at all?

My White 96 XJ is my obsession.<br />My Jeep is a work in process, but doesn&#039;t mean it can&#039;t do what yours does. <br />Don&#039;t Tread On Me!<br />Jeeps don&#039;t get speeding tickets, they get tickets for being Badass!

• Remember, until you replace it, the speed difference is a % of your total speed, so at 10 mph , you might be going 11, but at 55 you might be at 65. Faster you go , the greater the error .

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• That radar reading was probably correct, as well. The speedometer is around 17% off. So a reading of 55 actually does mean 65. To actually go 55, your speedometer will show 48. Hope that helps you a little until you get the gear replaced.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• yes, thank you! i wanna do a 4.10 gear ration after the SYE and control arm drop brackets

My White 96 XJ is my obsession.<br />My Jeep is a work in process, but doesn&#039;t mean it can&#039;t do what yours does. <br />Don&#039;t Tread On Me!<br />Jeeps don&#039;t get speeding tickets, they get tickets for being Badass!

• but what's a good way to tell what my gears are now? i know i either have 3.55 gears or 3.73 gears. i have a Chrysler 8.25 as the rear axle if that helps

• If you cant see the stamp (sometimes its difficult to make out on a 19 year old axle) you can stop by a jeep dealer and they can run your vin and get your gear ratio.

• Until you get it fixed, there are plenty of free speedo apps that are free to download on your smartphone. I have this one for my Android phone. It's spot on with the NUVI gps and also against my wife's car.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• well I just checked and i have a 3.55 gear ratio, so should i still go for a 4.10 gear ratio or would a 3.90 ratio be better?

• well I just checked and i have a 3.55 gear ratio, so should i still go for a 4.10 gear ratio or would a 3.90 ratio be better?

there are many gearing calculators out there.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• I never thought of an ap for my speedometer. I'll have to look at that. What the hell is YONDER?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Hope you told your Pop before you posted about your ticket on here! :)

I ran the same tires and usually configured about a 10 mph difference once the spedometer hit 55/60 just using that a guestimate to keep myself in check and not overuse the skinny pedal . . .

Once you get used to adjusting it gets easier to remember and you won't see those flashing red & blues behind you, or when the motorcycle cops are running radar and just step out and wave you over downtown . . .

• Assuming you have the automatic transmission, 4.10 gears would be the best choice (I don't know if 3.90 gears are even available for an XJ). But, if you plan on going to 35" tires later or do any towing, just get the 4.56 gears now. The auto transmission has a big overdrive so it'll actually match nicely with the 33s on the highway.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• my shop teacher said i should stay away from anything bigger than a 4.10 bc the pinion is more likely to break

• my shop teacher said i should stay away from anything bigger than a 4.10 bc the pinion is more likely to break

Your axles will usually break before your gears. 4:56 are fine, would agree above that the ring gear will get too thin.

• I never thought of an ap for my speedometer. I'll have to look at that. What the hell is YONDER?

It's an app that let's you find places for outdoor activities that have been posted by other users. You can look up all kinds of things from backpacking to rock climbing to kayaking. You can look locally or pretty much wherever you want to go..

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!