Pros vs cons

• Ok here's where I'm at..
    -I currently have a 91 yj 2.5L, it's in great mechanical condition but body has some rust
    -I have a chance to pick up an 88 yj 4.0 (4.2?) in much better condition than mine, and get it at a price where I could sell my 91 at a low "quick sale" price and break even
    Here's where my dilemma is...
    -I have a 350 in the garage, it's destination is my 2.5l 91 yj
    -it's my understanding that there's more work involved putting a 350 into a 6 cyl wrangler than a 4 cyl
    My question..
    -do the pros of having a much nicer jeep outweigh the cons of putting the 350 into a 6cyl jeep

I hope I broke that down into an easy understand post. Thanks!

• I don't understand how there will be more work putting a V8 into a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder. Either way you will want swap out the entire drive train and most of the wiring harness.

I guess the 4 cylinder will is supposed to have a Dana 44 rear axle which is stronger. Check the frames of both vehicles really well. Check for rust in the back and over the back axle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Frame on mine is good. I'm saving for new drivetrain either way so axles in my yj now aren't a concern. What I heard is the difference is that the small block Chevy mounts in the same place (obviously with different mounts) as the 4 cylinder and the mounts of the 6 coil are further up and that's where the more work comes in. I could be totally wrong

• John there was no d44 in a 4 cyl yj. Would have 4.10 gears though. The 88 would probably have 3.07. The 88 would also be a 4.2 carbed motor if stock. Really no difference for the swap. Adavanced adaptors makes mounts that bolt it for both. The dash is more analog on the 88 so guages will be eaiser to adapt. Other then that it really shouldnt matter.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!