Wandering Issue

• I noticed about a week ago that my YJ is apt to wander a little. Now that I have the new tires on, it's somewhat more noticeable. There's not really any rhyme or reason to it, sometimes it goes left, sometimes it goes right, other times it's right on track. There does seem to be some slop in the steering as well. I've done some initial research and have come up with a few things to look at as contributing factors:
    1. Alignment
    2. Ball Joints
    3. TREs
    4. Steering box
    5. Improper/mismatched air pressure in tires

I did not have an alignment done when the new tires were installed yesterday... nor was it suggested by the service tech. I'd really like to learn how to do the alignment myself but I'll need a Jedi master to take me as his padawan. As far as the steering components listed above, they have been on the YJ since I bought it w/ only minimal attention given to them. I have no 1st-hand experience with ball joints, TREs or the steering box other than greasing and fluid management. I do know that 6 years ago when the body shop was trying to save my Jeep, the tech told me that he was unable to get the Grant steering wheel exactly straight (like 3*-5* off) but that the rest of the steering components were A-OK. It has driven true ever since then and the only time it veered was if one of the front tires was lower pressure than the other... easily corrected.

I'll have the wife manipulate the steering while I check out the undercarriage at some point in the near future. Is there anything I'm neglectiong to see or need to be aware of? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Is the steering box reacting well. When you steer the wheel, does the pitman arm immediately start moving or is there some play? Is there any play in the steering components?

I would think caster would have something to do with it but you have a YJ so the only way to adjust that is with caster shims under the leaves. Bigger tires can make not enough positive caster more noticeable though. Maybe grab a magnetic angle finder and get your caster angle just to see where it is. A good place to put the angle finder is on the flat section on the top of the D30 pumpkin housing.

• I haven't had time to get under it and look at stuff since yesterday. When the symptoms first started showing up about a week ago, I contributed it to the tires being worn down or possibly low on air. I checked the pressures and they were only off by 6psi on the passenger side. I put air in it and didn't really notice it a whole lot after that. I did notice a popping vibe/sound a few times while backing out of a parking space at work. I'll get more pertinent info today after work.

As far as caster goes, the new tire size is the same as what I've had (33x12.50) and I didn't notice anything until recently. Would the caster be affected more by the different type of tire (AT vs MT)? My 1st inclination was that it is being caused by more of a wear/tear component such as TREs or ball joints. Since this is the first I've had to deal with them, I have very little knowledge on the subject and am only guessing at the moment based on my online research.

Edit: To answer your first question, it seems like the steering is a little sluggish to react when I have to correct for the wander. When I am sitting at a light and turn the steering wheel, it seems like there's a 10* movement side to side before I feel/see the wheels actually move.

• I highly doubt it's caster because you didn't change anything. I just mentioned it because it's acting like a caster issue by not returning to center properly. The type of tires wouldn't change caster.

It almost sounds like the steering box might be worn. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the steering system. If they are turning the wheel excessively before the pitman arm moves, the box might be shot. I have the same box you have even though I have a TJ because it's compatible with my hydro assist so I know what it should feel like. My doesn't have much play at all in it. :shrug:

• Trac bar too. Just have her rock the wheel back and forth while you hold each tie rod end. If you feel any movement, that's bad. Same for the trac bar. For the ball joints, jack the front up about an inch off the ground and slide a long prybar under the tire. Probably easier to have someone lift and release while you feel if the ball joint moves.

• Is the steering box reacting well. When you steer the wheel, does the pitman arm immediately start moving or is there some play? Is there any play in the steering components?

I would think caster would have something to do with it but you have a YJ so the only way to adjust that is with caster shims under the leaves. Bigger tires can make not enough positive caster more noticeable though. Maybe grab a magnetic angle finder and get your caster angle just to see where it is. A good place to put the angle finder is on the flat section on the top of the D30 pumpkin housing.

Its a new issue but if you look at some of his photos there is a drop on his front shackles which would have a poor effect on caster angle.

• I highly doubt it's caster because you didn't change anything. I just mentioned it because it's acting like a caster issue by not returning to center properly. The type of tires wouldn't change caster.

It almost sounds like the steering box might be worn. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the steering system. If they are turning the wheel excessively before the pitman arm moves, the box might be shot. I have the same box you have even though I have a TJ because it's compatible with my hydro assist so I know what it should feel like. My doesn't have much play at all in it. :shrug:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Trac bar too. Just have her rock the wheel back and forth while you hold each tie rod end. If you feel any movement, that's bad. Same for the trac bar. For the ball joints, jack the front up about an inch off the ground and slide a long prybar under the tire. Probably easier to have someone lift and release while you feel if the ball joint moves.

YJ... there's no track bars left... front and rear have been removed for some time now.

• Thanks, I'll check that out.

YJ... there's no track bars left... front and rear have been removed for some time now.

I actually kept my front Trac bar when I was still street in mine on 33's. Ditched the sway bar tho.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• YJ... there's no track bars left... front and rear have been removed for some time now.

That could play part of it, the new tires with fresh rubber are likely grabbing the road surface more than your last mis-matched set and making the lack of trackbars more noticeable. They actually did serve a purpose. :) I remember watching Donnie on the highway and could see his axle shift under the Jeep in turns. What tire pressure are you running? Too much or too little can affect the handling by how they grab the road.

Btw, those are great tires, I tried a little to break them free on the wet roads leaving work yesterday and I didn't slide. I could kick the back end out pretty easily with the BFGs. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I bet its ball joints or tres, but the guessing is aĺl pointless until u check to see what is actually happening. :mrgreen:

• Well I had the wife turn the wheel back and forth as I was recording the linkage moving... or so I thought. Turned out I captured 2 awesomely detailed pictures of the blacktop. I checked my power steering g fluid and it was a tad low (barely wet the dipstick). So I proceeded to overfill the resvoir, turkey baster out the excess and then square everything away. I'll see how it performs on the way to work tomorrow.

As I was recording (>_<) I noticed that the when the wheel was @ full lock and turning back the other way, it seemed like the pitman arm moved some before the tire did. I could be wrong though as its hard to focus on both at the same time. That was before I added fluid to the resevoir too. There was also a clicking while the wheels were turning but it was difficult to tell if it was linkage or suspension. The wifey isn't feeling well so I didn't ask her to brave the cold and wet a 2nd time. Tomorrow maybe...

• I noticed that the when the wheel was @ full lock and turning back the other way, it seemed like the pitman arm moved some before the tire did. I could be wrong though as its hard to focus on both at the same time. That was before I added fluid to the resevoir too. There was also a clicking while the wheels were turning but it was difficult to tell if it was linkage or suspension.

If the pitman arm is moving a little before the wheels do, then there is likely play in something else further down the steering system. Check all TREs - both ends of the drag link and both ends of the tie rod.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• :razz: Yeah, yeah.....

Well on the way to work this morning, the steering wheel was noticeably tighter and more responsive. I didn't notice the wandering issue but I'm not sure if that's due to the steering wheel reacting quicker or if it really went away. I am still going to get under her and check things out once again.. might even have video this time (thanks John ;D). IIRC, the PO told me that he had recently replaced the ball joints or TREs... but that was almost 6 years ago. What is the typical life span of ball joints and TREs on, let's say, a not-so-often-wheeled (HEY! did I just hear someone whisper "Mall Crawler"?) lifted vehicle with larger than OEM tires?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!