Painting hardtop

• I've read a few Google search articles that say do not use an oil based paint on fiberglass but they don't say why. Recommendations are mainly an epoxy based paint but those are mostly in reference to watercraft. I want to start painting, hopefully, starting Wednesday, seeing how it's supposed to rain Tuesday.

@Erock what did you use again to paint your top?

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• @wwch99tj that looks great! Did you do a thread about it?

@deadfeat mentioned in another thread that he painted a hardtop with oil-based Rustoleum paint that held up for several years before he sold it. However, I don't really know anything about how the chemicals interact with the hardtop compounds.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• @wwch99tj that looks amazing! I'm looking to do my top in a flat black.. no shiny!

@whatevah I'll look it up. Thanks for the info. Lowes had quart cans of Rustoleum Flat Black for about $9/ea and I figured 2, maybe 3 qts tops for the exterior. I was just worried about possible bad juju with oil based paint. I'm looking to roll this on to speed up the application process instead of spray cans.

@WILLYN thanks for the info as well. The weather looks good from Wednesday on thru Sunday. In a pinch, I can get the top into the shed to finish curing if need be.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I used plasti-dip. it was a test job as it was tan and I painted it black. wasn't sure if I would like it and with the plasti-dip, I can peel it off. I do like the way it looks and in the future will probably peel off the plasti-dip and paint it with something more durable

• Someone told me the plasti-dip stuff fades. The guy painted his rims with it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well, rolled on the 2nd coat this afternoon and covered it to keep the condensation off of it. Last night I rolled the 1st coat on and woke up to paint running everywhere this morning. Once the suns up tomorrow, I'll let it bake itself dry. This flat black acrylic latex is weird.. it rolls on with a blueish sheen. I thought I had the wrong color at first.

1st pics are this mornings mess. The 2nd two pics are the 2nd coat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!