**DEJA Trail Ride @ Rausch Creek Jan 14 2017**

• Our monthly trail rides continue for 2017! Expect snow and ice, ridden RC a bunch of times? It's a whole different world in the snow! As always, anyone is welcome...you don't have to be a DEJA member. Standard game plan of 830 arrival and trails by 9 I would expect. If this is your first time, post up and we'll give you more details.

I'm a 25% maybe at this point, my suspension is done and I'd like to give it a test but leaning towards waiting till the Feb or March ride.

Sign-ups:

• Count me in for this snow wheeling adventure! The jeep is in top shape for now. I have a friend bringing his wrangler on 31's also, if you think he can handle the trails we are doing?
    I haven't figured out how to quote the list and add us in, but we're there.

• I'm loaded and ready to go. See everyone at 8:30 at RC.
    If anyone would like to meet at the Turkey Hill in Morgantown on rt-10, Jeff and I are meeting at 6:45 and heading up from there.

• Here's the trail report for the January 14 club ride. We had five Jeeps: Buster Stewart, Willyn, Jeff in his YJ on 35" Swampers, Glenn in his TJ open/open on 31" A/Ts, and me. We started out on the Northeast property with Tim leading. I didn't keep track of the trails, but I think we covered every green and blue trail in the Northeast. It started snowing pretty hard a little before noon and kept up for about two hours, with maybe an inch accumulating on the ground. That made it a little more interesting, but not as difficult as you might think because it was dry. Willyn in his flattie tackled a long steep climb that ends with a sharp right at the top and made it on the second try. I tried it in 2d, 3d and 4th, but couldn't make it without the back locker. We had lunch and then headed back over to the other side.

We decided to do Tatas, but we went in from C, so we were doing it backwards -- which I guess you're not supposed to do, but we were pretty sure nobody else was out there in the snow. Only problem is that the black side loops aren't marked from that direction, so with me leading we got right in to one of those. Jeff and I got through but the rest had to turn around. Then we came to the spot where I got stuck the last time I was out there with Tim, Jeff, and Concrete Charlie. I struggled through, Jeff cruised it, but we thought Glenn would never make it, but with an impressive display of natural driving skill, Glenn bumped it right through. We didn't have much more trouble after that and made it back to the parking lot a little after 4:00. As far as I know, we had no breakage.

If you're interested, the Eaton E Locker in my Ford 8.8 rear has just plain worn out in less than a year of Rausch Creek, Anthracite, Rock Run and Big Dogs. Do not buy, at least the 8.8 version, for rock crawling. I'm switching to an Ox, or maybe an ARB, glad to hear any opinions on the subject.

See you all on February 18!

• If you're interested, the Eaton E Locker in my Ford 8.8 rear has just plain worn out in less than a year of Rausch Creek, Anthracite, Rock Run and Big Dogs. Do not buy, at least the 8.8 version, for rock crawling. I'm switching to an Ox, or maybe an ARB, glad to hear any opinions on the subject.

Excellent trail report as always. After rebuilding mine about a year and a half ago it's starting to act up again. Haven't pulled it apart yet. Did you look into replacing the pins? That's usually the part that wears out, they get rounded off.

• Thanks Jay for the report and for showing us another view of TATAS. (that doesn't sound right). Jay is correct we covered most of the NE property, The details of our NE property
    trip was as follows: We started out on N1 then into N2 and X4. Next we started our run of all the blues on the north side of the blacktop road. It started with 34 then to 37 and looped back to 31 and then to 32. On 32 Jeff pulled some cable to give Glenn a little help up a section of steep uphill with some nice size rock. Next we were back on the greens to get to the south side of the blacktop, this included X4, X1, N4,X3, and 40. Once on the other side of the blacktop the snow started slow, and then it really started coming down. We followed T to the muddy run hill to K. The next blue was 39. The way we were running the 39 loop it had a steep hill climb. By the time we made it to the hill climb the snow had built up enough to make the climb very difficult. Andy told us he was going to the top and he made it! With the snow coming down, we jumped off of 39 and on to K, K1, N3, to R, then R1 which loops around all of Roswell, Area 51 and Jurassic Park. We returned to take K to T, N3, N2, X4, X1, and then I tried to locate F to get the heck off the northeast property and to the parking lot. When we got to the lot it was 2:00 pm and Jay took us on from there. It was a great day and hope to see everyone on the trail again soon.

• Thanks, Geoff. I know the E Lockers are rebuildable (unlike the Auburn I had before) but it seems like they ought to last longer. How did you get the bearing off the magnet side?

im thinking i broke the bearings out of the cage then used a die grinder to cut tnrough the inner race.

• I had a great time Saturday, but for some reason I can't post my photos now. I tried to post video of Jay on the hill climb and it pissed off my iPad. Now when I try to load photos it says an unknown error has occurred. You would think that if it can tell you an error has occurred then it could tell you what that error was...

• I had a great time Saturday, but for some reason I can't post my photos now. I tried to post video of Jay on the hill climb and it pissed off my iPad. Now when I try to load photos it says an unknown error has occurred. You would think that if it can tell you an error has occurred then it could tell you what that error was...

I think it may be too many large files at once. Try uploading the video to YouTube and then post the link here.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• You are probably right, it was taking forever to upload before it gave up. If I ever learn how to upload to YouTube I will try that.
    Jay, I have a clamshell puller to remove carrier bearings if that's what you need. I read some stuff that said the pin-type elockers were only good for up to 33" tires also.

• You are probably right, it was taking forever to upload before it gave up. If I ever learn how to upload to YouTube I will try that.
    Jay, I have a clamshell puller to remove carrier bearings if that's what you need. I read some stuff that said the pin-type elockers were only good for up to 33" tires also.

issue is the way its built a clamshell would damage the magnetic locking collar. u really need the bearing puller from randys r and p. its a $350 kit and the e-locker is the only thing that i have found that absolutely needs it instead of a clamshell, thats why i havent bought it.

• Thanks, Andy. I shipped it back to East Coast Gear Supply today with the bearings still on it. You can't get any kind of puller under the one bearing without damaging the magnet. And 33s is what I have -- I think it just doesn't hold up to rocks.

• I guess a $350.00 puller to use mainly for a marginal locker type is a bit steep. I figured you would have it under control, just didn't want to have you struggling while I have a nice puller sitting here!
    Are you going for the rebuild?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!