2001 XJ key stuck in ignition

• ok, my daughter has a 01 XJ that she has been driving for a couple months now with no issues. Last week the key got stuck in the ignition two different times. The first time I was able to wiggle free the next time not so lucky. I had to remove the lock cylinder. when I took out the cylinder I lubricated it and a lot of dirt was evident, the tumblers had a lot of wear so I replaced it with a new unit. All was good for two days and I just got a call that she cant get the key out again. Any ideas ?

• Any chance it's the safety release from the transmission park selector? Try wiggling the shifter and see if that makes a difference.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• after researching last night I believe that is the issue Jerry. The jeep is at her moms but I had her try a bunch of different things that were mentioned in a few forums and the key did not come out. It will be at my place tonight so ill get it in the garage to see what is going on.

• after researching last night I believe that is the issue Jerry. The jeep is at her moms but I had her try a bunch of different things that were mentioned in a few forums and the key did not come out. It will be at my place tonight so ill get it in the garage to see what is going on.

I have a whole column from a 2001 XJ if you need some parts.

• My wife had a 2002 dodge truck that had that problem. I read about it on the internet and people said to tap the back of the key sharply and it would release. It worked, and then I was at Home Depot and some people were having the same problem so I told them to tap it sharply. It worked for them too! You probably already read that somewhere but I thought it might help.

• My wife had a 2002 dodge truck that had that problem. I read about it on the internet and people said to tap the back of the key sharply and it would release. It worked, and then I was at Home Depot and some people were having the same problem so I told them to tap it sharply. It worked for them too! You probably already read that somewhere but I thought it might help.

thanks, I did read about tapping the key. I also read that engaging the shifter from N to P firmly might work, That's what I did and it worked. This singles out the interlock cable as the culprit. I'll need to read up on making this repair as it's a new one for me. lol. Figures I bought a Haynes Cherokee manual and they don't cover this situation.

• Bob I have a 2000 XJ factory service manual I can let you barrow. I'll drop it off either Friday or Saturday with the other parts I have for you.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• If you get it out squirt some lubricant into the key slot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If you get it out squirt some lubricant into the key slot.

I think the lock cylinder probably doesn't need to be lubed - he just replaced it so it's new. But the cable that runs from the lock cylinder down to the console shifter needs to be either adjusted, lubricated (maybe both of these), or replaced completely and then adjusted. I wonder if lubing it with a good dry lubricant or a teflon spray would be better than your standard WD-40 or PB Blaster? The key would be to somehow get enough in the cable housing that it will work it's way all the way past where the liner is probably worn and causing the bind. Or, just replace the darn thing so she doesn't have a repeat of the problem. Looks like you can find them all over the internet starting around $20 and up.

• Definitely not the lock cylinder. Planning on pulling everything apart next weekend to either repair or replace the cable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• I'm sure glad they have these safety features. I'm sure many many people probably died as a result of being able to remove the key while the car was being driven. The real reason for this feature is that Street prostitutes used to reach in the window and grab the key and charge $20.00 to get it back! The politicians understood this problem very well and undertook legislation to prevent them from having this problem.

• I found it a nice convenience with my old wore out ignition cylinder able to remove my key after starting.

I was actually thinking about going keyless and putting in a push button start set up

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• No key at all? I'm not sure about that one. Maybe one of those fingerprint readers or an iris scan or something!
    And I can't even believe that the newest keyless setups can be hacked into by some scumbag standing near you with some sort of electronic eavesdropping duplicator device! Who would have thought that someone could hack into a key fob?

• It's all just a radio frequency device from what I understand.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Same here John... I can pull the key out after starting it. I have to make sure that I lock the ignition when I turn it off though as I've been able to start the Jeep a few times with no key in it.

Why use a key at all, let's all go back to the old timey crank starters! :D

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Same here John... I can pull the key out after starting it. I have to make sure that I lock the ignition when I turn it off though as I've been able to start the Jeep a few times with no key in it.

Why use a key at all, let's all go back to the old timey crank starters! :D

LOL, Mine had gotten so bad / and worn that I could wiggle and start the engine without a key. New lock a few years ago solved all that.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• The real reason for this feature is that Street prostitutes used to reach in the window and grab the key and charge $20.00 to get it back! The politicians understood this problem very well and undertook legislation to prevent them from having this problem.

It makes one wonder how the prostitutes got near enough to those hapless, innocent, virtuous citizens to pull the key from the ignition.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Bob my factory service manual for the 2000 XJ I had, seems to have grown legs and walked away or more likely my brother loaned it to someone and never got it back.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!