Aaron in JP magazine

• Quote from "turtle"

Team Deja made it into JP magazine in an ad for "the rock Key" check it out towards the back

This is news to me... I'll have to go out and grab a copy of the mag.

Aaron

• Thanks for posting the pic.

Anyone know the rules for publishing pics in mags of rigs. I mean I was not contacted nor did I give a specific okay to use me or my rig in an ad. Not that I am complaining about the exposier, but it would be nice to get some sponsorship money out of this.

Any thoughts,
    Aaron

• Quote from "astape"

Thanks for posting the pic.

Anyone know the rules for publishing pics in mags of rigs. I mean I was not contacted nor did I give a specific okay to use me or my rig in an ad. Not that I am complaining about the exposier, but it would be nice to get some sponsorship money out of this.

Any thoughts,
    Aaron

i would contact the company..and your current sponsor(s). your current sponsor(s) might have more of a problem with someone using your rig. you should be able to either get some money..or have your jeep removed from the ad (or keep it there for exposure)

• doh :doh: was reading that yesterday and totally didnt realize it was him till now. :shrug: shows how much pay attention.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• The least they could do is give you a rock key. Better yet, one for each of us in the club!

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I just noticed that ad in JP this morning, but haven't had time to post. My first thought, after what the hell is a rock key? , is I wonder if that's a sponsor for Aaron.

• Quote from "wanderlust"

I just noticed that ad in JP this morning, but haven't had time to post. My first thought, after what the hell is a rock key? , is I wonder if that's a sponsor for Aaron.

saw these at the jeep show. hey are plastic rock looking ends with a key blank molded in them. kinda bulky if you ask me....

...now if they looked like a rock..but flipped out like a VW key..id look into it.

• Yeh, I am going to try and contact them tomorrow.

Did anyone see the DEJA antena ball? It made the mag too :).

• Quote from "Patti"

I resized it. How's that?

Thanks Patti, just didn't have time to pack for todays trail ride and mess with photoshop. Sucks that they would rip off a photo like that, then put it into a national magazine :shrug:

• So, basically a bunch of the keys with the standard plastic ends melted in a hot factory so they are calling them "Rock Keys"?

NOW THAT'S MARKETING! Too bad they didn't bother to get proper permission for use of the photo or person. :doh:

Hey Aaron, if they try to pay you off in Rock Keys, I'll take a couple for my wife's WJ. :rollsmile:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Falcon"

any news about this company who used your picture without permission?

I'm curious too.

I really wonder what Aarons rights are, if any.

If the image was in the "public domain" it's probably fair game.

You can only see part of his face, and little on the Jeep is uniquely distinguishable to anyone other than those that know it.

• It is my understanding that because I am in the shot they can not use it. Also there are many distinguishing fetures on my Jeep, but they photoshoped them out and by no means is my Jeep generic. To me it parallels (on a smaller scale) taking a pic of a Nascar, erasing some stuff off of it and then publishing it. I am part of a recognized sport and competitive series.

My other sponsors pay good money so I can advertise for them. I personally think these guys should too. I didn't have a chance yet to contact them, but I will try tomorrow. I really think if anyone from q-tec sees this ad they will go after this company. It's not like it would have been hard to track me down and ask my permision. They did have to photochop out my team #.

Aaron

• Well, here's a thought. When Quadratech takes pictures of you at the events I believe that they own the photo and hold all rights to do with it what they please. Orange Crush said it is written somewhere. If that is true then they could have sold the picture to whomever printed the ad.

Now let's take that further. If that is so then what happens if they were to sell the picture to a company that you have strong feelings against, say an abortion ad, or the NRA for instance. What rights do you have about your vehicle or image being used THEN?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

Well, here's a thought. When Quadratech takes pictures of you at the events I believe that they own the photo and hold all rights to do with it what they please. Orange Crush said it is written somewhere. If that is true then they could have sold the picture to whomever printed the ad.

Now let's take that further. If that is so then what happens if they were to sell the picture to a company that you have strong feelings against, say an abortion ad, or the NRA for instance. What rights do you have about your vehicle or image being used THEN?

I have an agreement with Q-tec. They can use my pic and my Jeeps pic. I do not have an agreement with this other company to use my likeness. I do believe a third party still needs an agreement in place for an endorsement. Again it is my understanding that they can use the Jeep by itself because it is in the public domain, but they can not use MY pic. I could be wrong, but this is how an advertising person explained it to me. Unfortunately I still have not had time to call the company. Maybe tomorrow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!