Time to change the oil myself!

• So I'm gonna start changing the oil myself on the Jeep...

anything I need to know before i tackle it?

anyone know the filter number?

how bout how much it takes?

anyone have recomendations on oil? i will pay for medium grade / good stuff.
    synthetic is good too...but I want what is best for the jeep...

anyone use any of the extended life oils...

Valvoline's webites recomends the Durablend oil...cuz I answered yes to towing heavy load in that last 6 months (kind of)... but they also reocmend there conventional...

Any input is appreciated!

p.s. 4.0L 6 cyl auto

• Warm the engine up first to get any debris suspended in the hot oil. My 258 takes 6 qts. I imagine your 4 L takes the same but you should check. I run 10W30. If you change it every 3000 miles it shouldn't matter too much what brand you get. I typically get Pennzoil or Valvoline. I keep thinking about going synthetic but can't swallow the price at any one time. I should though. Then I'd only have to change the oil once a year (I only put about 5000 miles a year on Slimer).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "joo"

So I'm gonna start changing the oil myself on the Jeep...

....Any input is appreciated!

p.s. 4.0L 6 cyl auto

don't do it! you will void the wareentee, you might get dirty, you will put good hard working Americans at Jiffy Lube out of work, you might had to go to (dare I say it) Pep Boys!, while there you might be tempted to buy a sticker or some plastic crome trim.
    Steve (for gods sake)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• na it is easy..... i use fram Tough guard 2 fliters and Quaker state 4x4 synthetic. just remember that if you have synthetic now not to change over it is not good for your seals to change back and forth so decide and than stick with that type of oil.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• the filter is a ph16 you can buy them at walmart and almost anyother parts store...16mm wrench and a oil catch pan and 6 qts of oil......warm it up....let it drain....let it drain some more.....i run mobil 1 but as long as you keep it changed regularly then its good to go....dont over tq the drain plug manufacturer rec. 30ft/lbs......anything else....just ask

kevin

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Edited once, last by ().

• The numbers add up but "you know whatya got when you do it yourself" :smile:

• so im thinking about going to synthetic - just cuz im a freak about my engine and what not and I do do a lot of mileage (10,000 in 4 months)...so I might as well do it..

with synthetic is there a difference on how often I have to change it? I was thinking bout going to the mobil 1 or castrol extended life oils....

or is it just not worth it?

• It's been my experience the oil change interval has more to do with dirty oil then tired oil. Synthetic oil gets just as dirty as conventional oil. Plus, try to get warranty work done after you explain that you always wait longer then the suggested oil change interval.
    :sniffle:

KJB

• I always have someone else change mine. After changing my own in my old 2000 Z28, and using synthetic, changing at 2500 miles(yeah i was a freak about that car). Only reason i have someone else do it now is cause i hate gettin rid of old oil, and i dont have time to do laundry, yet alone change my oil.

• Getting rig of old oil sux. Good story here....

July 4th 2005, cleaning garage and decided to take two 5 gallon water bottles filled with oil to the recycle center in Newport. upon arriving, I found one bottle was leaking quite a bit and about 1/2 gallon of oil had run all over the back of my jeep. Thinking quickly I grabbed the bottle to poor it into the Recycle Igloo. Just as the bottle cleared my tailgate the entire bottom split and poor 4 1/2 gallons of oil on the parking lot!

I watched in terror as the jet black puddle spread to about 25 foot long and 10 feet wide! What a mess! I called the fire department. They came out and contained it with a few bags of dry-loc. Then I had to wait until the Haz-mat crew arrived. They cleaned it all up, and I felt horible. The cheif said that if I had just left the scene, I would have been charged about $3000 for cleanup and fines. Because I "did the right thing" they just did thier job at no cost. I did send in a donation and a thanks.

Steve (managed to only get oil on his foot.)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Check the DSWA site for oil location igloos at the recycle centers. I drain mine into that catch all thingy from Pep (Yo) Boys, the one with the spout, and just take it to the center at the UofD and pour it in.

I also use the Fram ToughGuard filter, and Quaker State 4x4 oil. Walmart sells the oil, not sure if they carry the filters.

• FRAM filters are BAD umkay!!! they will lower your oil pressuer and they filter so well that not enough oil returns fast enough to the top.

• OMG... Deadfeat "Valdez" that is one hell of a story.

• that is weird i have never had a problem with fram ever and have been using them for years.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• Quote from "omaha"

that is weird i have never had a problem with fram ever and have been using them for years.

Yeah, same here. I think I've tried every filter out there and I haven't seen any noticeable differences.

• I just had mine changed at the Firestone place at Prices Corner, they used Kendall GT-1 Synthetic. We started using them for one vehicle that was a real pain to change the oil, and then started using them for all of our vehicles. And, they offer a "lifetime alignment" thing. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• walmart and a couple other places i know of use only fram pro filters and never have any problems........im not saying their the greatest but if a multibillion a year company trusts using them then why not use them.....plus they have that grippy part that makes it easier to take off and put on filters.....K&N makes oil filters and also mobil....and you can get mopar filters from the dealers....ive only heard good things from them so its up to you the consumer to chose which label you trust the most......the end

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!