locking a d30

• so how bad of an idea is locking a d30 or is it ok to some extent? would like to hear some storys of people that have done so before and how they have held up. thanks

• I know guys who've run a locked D30 with 35s and little to no problems. It's all in how you wheel. Some people break shafts unlocked on 33s. I'm pretty sure at least one guy on here has wheeled with a locked D30 on 37s. Ujoints will be your biggest problem, if you can do the upgrade to TJ shafts and run the 760x joints you'll have better luck.

FWIW, D30 shafts are easy to change (at least for one-piece shafts) so just carry a couple spares and keep the bolts you need to remove lubed with anti-sieze. With some practice you can easily swap a shaft on the trail in under 20 minutes, including the time to jack it up. That's going to be my solution. I'm running 35s now and will be installing a locked HP30 "soon".

What rear axle do you have? If you still have a D35, that'll break long before the D30 does. Swap that out with a 8.8 or D44 (guessing 8.8s should be easy to find in junkyards now thanks to C4C). Plus, both of those axles will have stronger gears.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Jerry summed it up well. :up:
    There are several including me that have or are running 37's on a D30. Is it smart? Not necessarily but if you know how to drive it correctly, you'll be ok.

TIPS:
    -Don't do things like let the tires bounce while holding the throttle.
    -Keep the tires straight when under a heavy load. Sharp turns and heavy throttle are hard on u-joints.
    -Avoid doing a recovery by pulling in reverse (except with a winch).
    -Run alloy shafts and good u-joints.
    -ALWAYS have spare shafts ready in your Jeep and know how to change them quickly.

Although it's on my list to switch out, my poor lil' HP30 has been beat hard but always gotten me home. I say go for it and just use your head off road. Good luck.
    :driving:

• yeah think im going for it. i found a super good deal on a Detroit. altho not what type i want. but hard to pass up on the price. how are they on the beach and snow? etc. and yeah i have stock d35, but i have an 8.8 im redoing in my garage

• yeah think im going for it. i found a super good deal on a Detroit. altho not what type i want. but hard to pass up on the price. how are they on the beach and snow? etc. and yeah i have stock d35, but i have an 8.8 im redoing in my garage

Having the front locked on the beach is great.

Snow and ice will be a different story as having both front wheels spinning means it will affect your steering ability.

• Hah! That's funny!

x2 on 37's btw....I say go for it, just use your head instead of your right foot.

• He's right about the reverse pulls, Zeke blew out a ujoint doing a fairly gentle reverse pull. 35s on a HP30 and I believe 760 joints. So the front is only for being recovered or winching. Anything else I use the rear hitch and full throttle. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• well i have 35s getting ready to order, gonna be putting a XJ shaft in a YJ D30 to eliminate the disco and a lockright. I know quite a few people running 35s on the D30 with no issues, all depends on the stupid pedal

• that pic looks familiar, that was a chromolly shaft by the way, and for the record, I think it was broken before I could take my foot of the clutch....it snapped very easy....only shaft i have ever broken on that jeep though.

• Oh I know its true!! Believe me! I'll let Bill elaborate!

:laughabove:
    Actually, I still feel guilty about that. :doh:

SLOPAR spotted me into an abyss and I was dumb enough to listen. Sean was nice enough to try and pull me out and the above axle shaft was the casualty. My Jeep was lower than the tow point on his Jeep so as he pulled it gave the front tires a crazy amount of traction. Even if he wasn't locked, the combo of that stress and 37's was going to snap something.

• SLOPAR spotted me into an abyss and I was dumb enough to listen.

It always comes back to me on that one huh? :innocent: As far as locking a Dana 30, as others have stated just use common sense with the go pedal and you will be fine. I converted to alloy one piece shafts with an aussie locker in my YJ on 33s and rocked that for 3-4 HARD seasons without issue.

• While detroits are nice and so on, I would just look at either and Aussie or a Lock-right. No need to spend big bucks on the locker and having to reset the gears and all. The aussie and lock-right are just pop em in in place of the spider gears and you are good to go.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• SLOPAR spotted me into an abyss and I was dumb enough to listen. Sean was nice enough to try and pull me out and the above axle shaft was the casualty. My Jeep was lower than the tow point on his Jeep so as he pulled it gave the front tires a crazy amount of traction. Even if he wasn't locked, the combo of that stress and 37's was going to snap something.

thanks for the explanation on that. i've done recoveries from front plenty of times *cough*Ian*cough* :razz: and i've never had problems, so i was wondering...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I ran a lockrite with 35s and 37s and never had any issues with it. I even exploded a stock shaft once and it never damaged the locker. As far as I know Solomi is still running my old front d30 and its still holding up.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• weld the spiders up

not in the front if you dont have selectable hubs!

And x2 or whatever it is now on a lockright. I have installed many and they work great. I exploded a whole D30 a couple years back but still use the same lockright from that diff in my Jeep.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!