350 conversion in a yj

• can anyone hold my hand or maybe point me in the right direction for info on doing the swap??!!! or even a 302 maybe.... both are fairly inexpensive motors, and easy to get parts for. what do i need? is the biggest question.... what trans? and transfer case? will it bolt up?? what transfer case will go from a 350 turbo trans to my d/s's??? i want to do it so bad, but dont even know where to start. anyone wanna do it for me???!!!! name your price!! :help: :help:

• I like the 5.0 swap but I have always been a ford guy .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• swap a whole chevy drive train do some researcha nd find the shortest set up you can find. as far as u joints and stuff thats pretty easy to figure out when you get in to your seach . will need to upgrade axles if you are going to drive it at all in my opinion. Broke a dana 35 in the drive way with a stock 6 cyl.... Honestly even though I have a v8 I wouldnt spend my money on upgrading to it. when I bought my jeep there was no motor and it was what I had. I would run what yuou brung and gear it for tire size and use if you are lookign for something fast get a miata you will be back thought just ask DRj

my jeep in the beggining

• i dont need speed... i want more power!!! and i am definately shopping for axles... i tore the spider gears out of my 35 with the little 2.5!!! i think dana 44's would be perfect... maybe just look into a 4.0, just figured if i was doing the work and spending the money anyway... why not go BIG??? :shrug:

• maybe we can talk in person someday and I will explain it to you... you wont listen but I will explain to why bigger isnt always better.....

• I'll back up Tony on this. I've been driving a 4 cyl. with 33's for 4 years. When I first put the bigger tires on I immediately thought about putting in a bigger engine. I dont know how your jeep is set up, but after a couple years I swapped the axles for a set whose gears took my ratio back to stock range. Im completely happy with it now. The 4 cyl engine is well known for running strong and long, and you will not break nearly as much stuff. Also if you arent really well prepared to do a project like this you will go through a lot of headaches with it. Theres no need for a bigger engine, its a jeep so you are never going to be able to drive it like a sports car, and in low range you still have enough torgue to go over anything that gets in your way. If you still feel you must do it after properly researching go ahead, but in my opinion theres a lot more worthwile stuff to spend your money on.

• Yeah.........but there's nothing like the rumble of a V8. ;D

...wish I had one. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I like my 3.5l Shortstar Chevy motor. Nothing like 280hp and 280 tq and only 340lbs :). Shame you can not get the harnesses anymore. If you are good with wiring you can reuse the factory one. I guess when the rest of your drivetrain is basically one-ton you can have any motor. Sometimes the only way out of a stickly situation is more gas peddle.

In all seriousness you need to look at the entire picture and match all of the parts so you do not break in the first 10 minutes of a trail ride. Also, do a budget for the swap and double it. That's what you can expect to spend.

Aaron

• go with a 4.3lk vortec, as bolt on compatable as a 350, less the weight nd adequate power. thats hwat id do if i was getting rid of my fourbanger, but i well i actually love my 4cyl.

• Why not do a 4.5, 6,7 L stroker that way it's a simple plug and play as far as the computer is concerned. It's a 4.0L block with added power. HESCO and Q-Tec offers these....

• ok then... i need a rebuild, dana 44 rear w/ 5.something gears.. and trans rebuild. anyone interested lol!!! honestly tony, as hard headed as i may seem, your advice is well taken. maybe i would feel better just to have this motor back in tip top shape.. then venture in other directions for dumping money...

• been running a 351w v8 injected ford for about 6 years. If I could do it all over.....4.0L with 60's....v8's are fun, but getting parts and fixing it when it breaks is a headache. Listen to Tony, match your motor to your drivetrain.

• ok then... i need a rebuild, dana 44 rear w/ 5.something gears.. and trans rebuild. anyone interested lol!!! honestly tony, as hard headed as i may seem, your advice is well taken. maybe i would feel better just to have this motor back in tip top shape.. then venture in other directions for dumping money...

deepest a dana 30 can go is 4.88s put in a reman motor (plug and play) and then start saving for the gears.....

• im doing a jeep right now just like yours. customer wants 350 chevy,big cam all that crap. i convinced him to leave the 4 cyl in, his runs really good, just through on the 4.0l tb and k&n.doing a ax15 trans swap with 23 spline case ,sye. dana 44 waggy rears ,detroit lockers, 5.38s 4 wheel disc brakes on 35s. i think its going to surprise alot of people. hes already been some places that the other bigger jeeps couldnt go. im trying to convince him to keep it light. it helps out alot. i wanted him to get an atlas too but hes going to have to wait on that.

• id go wiht the 4.3 as well easy to build same bore and stroke as a 350, and i have a fully rebuilt one in my garage i need to get rid of, but there short motors and they can be matched up to the 700r4 they can put 220+ hp depending on how much work you do. nd they run for ever. but its just my two sence

• not any harder then the 350. and better on gas lol you wound have to make nw motor mounts or buy a kit. and then do the cross members. all the same stuff as the 350. new fuel lines new water line. ect

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!