NEUROC Update

• Paul, Andrew and I went up to watch Aaron compete today at NEUROC. We meet up with Chris, Mike and his friend Elff, and John Brereton and his kids.

It was a pretty eventful day, saw about 3-4 rollovers (not Aaron). Aaron was doing well until about his third course. A steep rock face hill climb. He almost made up to the top, but then did a two foot wheel stand and proceeded to roll back down the course. He ended up coming down on a rock that pushed up his oil pan up into his crank, which then tore a 2 inch gash in his pan.

Some quick work by the DEJA pit crew, with a soda can, JB Weld and Duck tape he was ready to get back into the competition.

He finshed up the final course with a low score, and I believe aleast 2nd place going into day 2.

Pictures and one video to follow....

Joe

• That was a pretty good description, but what actually happened was that the suspension compresed so much that the stearing ram dented the oil pan into the engine crank. The rotating engine crank then cut through the pan. Our trail repair made it all the way through the second day. I an happy to say that we finished with a 3rd place finish and a second place in the series. We just could not catch the guy in front of us because I bent a front spring real bad and broke the front driveshaft the second day. Luckily we were able to make a quick repair and limp our way over to the last run.

I would like to thank all of you for your support and help. I hope the trip was worth it :).

• Congratulations Aaron and Don! That's a great finish for your first year of competition. (Now you have something to improve on next year :hmm: )

Sorry to hear about your Sunday mechanical difficulties. We were all impressed with your soda can and chewing gum (ok JB Weld) solution to the hole in your oil pan. Glad all that duct tape held up through the competition.

All of DeJA was behind Team Mall Crawler, CONGRATULATIONS.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

:rollsmile:

Former Trail Boss (2003 - 2005)

Edited once, last by ().

• Congrats Aaron and Don! Nice work! :up:

Wish I could have made it up for Sunday as well, but Saturday was well worth it, had a blast, and it was very cool to see you run some of those obstacles that I'd get dizzy just walking around on.

Took some pics with my SLR, and I'm getting them on CD today, will try and post tonight.

Paul

• I found it definately worth seeing. My kids enjoyed it too. Kristina was caught up in the competition and wanted to wait to see how the guy (Dale?) would do on obstacle 4 but he did it earlier. How many 12 and 8 year olds can say they saw a vehicle flip end over end down a 20 to 30 foot rock face? That was intense!

Watching Aaron and Don get over obstacle 1 (the only stock class team that were able to) was awesome as well.

Next year is Don's Jeep, right?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Saturday was a very cool day. The weather looked like it was going to suck at first but it turned out to be perfect. I can't remember if it was obstacle 3 or 4 but on one, Aaron made it through this big rocks that were surrounded by really loose dirt. In the process he ended up moving 2 really large rocks into very bad locations for the rest of the competitors.
    After he successfully completed the course, no one else made it.
    That was really funny, unless of course, you were one of the other people.

Does anyone know if a video has been posted of the end over end flip. That was crazy!!!

• The modified jeep roll was bad, but John Boring rolling Melchners old rig was almost as bad. I never saw so much stuff break off a buggy. There was some really bad rolls and carnage this week.
    I am glad to have met all the people that were in our class, and i am hoping to wheel with some of them again.

• Quote from "Elff"

I can't remember if it was obstacle 3 or 4 but on one, Aaron made it through this big rocks that were surrounded by really loose dirt. In the process he ended up moving 2 really large rocks into very bad locations for the rest of the competitors.
    After he successfully completed the course, no one else made it.
    That was really funny, unless of course, you were one of the other people.

I don't think Aaron and Don finished that obstacle (3?) but they did get farther than anyone else.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I think that was obstacle 2. That was interesting. They were the only team to get through that obstacle. Look at their line of approach. They were told that was the hard line. There is a hole next to the rock on the right that swallows the rear tire. Everyone else was trying to take a line that was more to the right which put your passenger side tires on that rock. No one was making it though, probably because of the rain earlier or something. It was a pretty intense fight through that obstacle. At some point they were pretty close to being verticle until the rear grabbed and pushed them out of the hole.

That's what it looked like from my point of view anyway.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• That was actually Obstacle #1 (by their numbers), it was Aarons' second course of the day though. He did them in this order: 5-1-2-3-4.

My pics are now uploaded from NEUROC. Here's a few:

Aaron & Don on Obstacle #2

Aaron at the top of Obstacle #4

See the remaining Aaron & Don (Team Mallcrawler) pics HERE! And be sure to check page 2 for some semi-exciting non-Aaron & Don pics! :spinrhead:

• Nice pics. I missed a lot as I was trying to keep up with my son. That roll over was really something to see. The one picture of the dark blue CJ5 going up is a good example of the line the officials were saying was the easy line to take. Aaron and Don proved them wrong though as they took the "hard line" and were the only ones in their class to complete the obstacle.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• course 1

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!