What have you done to your Jeep today?

• Replaced the ac compressor on the little ladies XJ. It's like driving a refrigerator down the road now. :mrgreen:

I thought I was going to be doing an a/c compressor on the xj I just picked up, turned out to be a bad low pressure switch :spinrhead:

• Just did a 3" lift on the 96 xj. Does anyone have a set of 31x10.5x15 mounted on 5x4.5 lug wheels I can use for a test fit?

31s will fit perfectly on a 3" lifted XJ.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• My 2dr wasn't really big enough for surf fishing supplies so we found a hitch carrier we no longer used and a pole holder my dad had bought used. He had rigged it up in his truck but it didn't work that great. We found some aluminum plate a buddy had collecting dust, some nuts and bolts and some paint. Now I can throw my cooler on there and equipment to drive on the beach whenever we go surf fishing. Also will be nice whenever I need more storage space.

https://imgur.com/a/hY5Hd

• Last night I spent a few hours getting Chloè ready for inspection. Tonight the wife helped me get the exhaust wrapped up. I still need some exhaust hangars welded on to button everything up and then she'll be all set.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Last night I spent a few hours getting Chloè ready for inspection. Tonight the wife helped me get the exhaust wrapped up. I still need some exhaust hangars welded on to button everything up and then she'll be all set.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

That heat wrap helped a buddy with underhood temps from a turbo on his autocross car. Data logger showed a few degrees cooler intake temps because the top mount intercooler and piping wasn't getting heat soaked *quite* as quickly. Would think same applies here. If you take manifold off you might as well wrap what you can of that too.

• I added some differential cover guards for the Big Dogs trip. I've only been to Rausch Crek a couple times, but already I've seen differential covers are very vulnerable.

And I started working on a skid plate for the gas tank.

In between that I started on this.

This will help a lot, there's not a lot of room in the jeep!

• I added some differential cover guards for the Big Dogs trip. I've only been to Rausch Crek a couple times, but already I've seen differential covers are very vulnerable.

Whenever people ask my opinion as to where to start with mods for offroad, I always list diff armor as one of the top priorities.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• And I started working on a skid plate for the gas tank.

My XJ is heavily armored, and I don't have a gas tank skid. (Not yet, anyway. I have one in my garage awaiting install.) Since you've already started the gas tank skid, by all means have at it. But I would recommend other things first.

IMO, rocker guards and belly protection (oil pan and transfer case skids), and bumpers, in that order, are higher priority than gas tank skid. I know you already have the bumpers and rocker protection. If you already have the belly skids, then never mind and and don't waste time reading this post.

~ JD

• My XJ is heavily armored, and I don't have a gas tank skid. (Not yet, anyway. I have one in my garage awaiting install.) Since you've already started the gas tank skid, by all means have at it. But I would recommend other things first.

IMO, rocker guards and belly protection (oil pan and transfer case skids), and bumpers, in that order, are higher priority than gas tank skid. I know you already have the bumpers and rocker protection. If you already have the belly skids, then never mind and and don't waste time reading this post.

practically speaking, id do the gas tank before the rockers. a hole in a gas tank will leave you stranded, a dented or scratched rocker still gets you home. (that being said, the gas tank is easier and cheaper to replace than having a shop do body work if you decided to get a mangled rocker fixed.)

• I agree with all of that, and thanks for the input!
    I already had the bumpers and rocker guards so I'm good there. I have a stock skidplate under the transfer case, but it isn't all that.
    I did these other items because they are what I would worry about every time I go through a mud puddle full of unseen rocks!
    I have a plan for a pretty good sized belly skid, but I only have so much time...
    I also need to make thicker u bolt plates, mine are stressed. The new ones will incorporate a HDPE skid covering the entire plate and the nuts which hang down, but that time thing again...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!