Tow rig curiosity --

• manual and stick are the same. ;)

If I had one, I'd want a turboed diesel with an auto. 4x4 because a stuck tow rig isn't much help. Even the 4x4 guys have problems at RCs parking lot when it's iced over.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Mine is automatic and 2wd (Ram 1500) with a traction control device in the rear. Not sure what type of locker or limited slip it has but it works great in the snow and ice. I like automatic for towing because the torque converter does a better job at handling the load than a clutch (I think).

Deisel will of course be better for towing but I've always been happy with my 318. It's a well proven motor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• 5.7 Liter Hemi, 2500 HD, 410 gears, 4x4 and auto. I'd rather a diesel but $$ didn't allow. Never had a problem with keeping up with them though.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Edited once, last by Wolverine ().

• i should start off by saying that i got my Yukon before i had any intentions of towing my Jeep, but it did have the tow package and it is an adequate tow rig.

mine is:
    4WD with a ls/locker in the back - i wouldn't have anything less for towing.
    auto with a 'tow/haul' mode - this is probably more of a personal preference.
    gas - diesel would be better.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I think that unless you are towing something bigger than the Jeep like a huge travel trailer or construction type loads then you should NOT go with a diesel. Especially if you are going to be running this as a DD. The costs just do not make it worth the price you pay.

Mine is a Nissan Titan 4x4. It is gas and has a 5.6-L DOHC 32-valve V8 with 317 hp @ 5,200 rpm and 385 lb-ft of torque @ 3,400 rpm max tow load 9,100 lbs. I can tow the Jeep on a 2,000 lbs trailer without a problem. Climbed the mountains in WV without a problem and we were pretty loaded with camping gear and fuel.

It's funny you mention this question... Just yesterday while working on the Jeep I remembered a conversation with my father in-law who has a F250 diesel to tow his motorcycle. He has a Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide weighing in at 851.0 lbs. With his enclosed trailer which is big enough for two bikes he is still less weight then what I am towing with the Jeep. He said that he gets about 12-13 mpg towing. When we went to WV I got between 11-12 MPG and that was including the mountain climb. If it were flat I would have been at 12-13. So although he can tow much more than me I can tow the same amount for less expensive on fuel.

Not trying to piss off any of the Dodge guys but I had a 1500 Hemi before I bought the Titan and I must say that the Titan does a far better job towing and it gets almost 2 MPG better.

BUT!!! Diesels sure are cool!

Anyway that's my $0.02

• He said that he gets about 12-13 mpg towing. When we went to WV I got between 11-12 MPG and that was including the mountain climb. If it were flat I would have been at 12-13. So although he can tow much more than me I can tow the same amount for less expensive on fuel.

i get better gas mileage towing the XJ with the Yukon than i do driving the XJ itself! :D

i'm not kidding... :-[

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I am a 07 Chevy 2500 LT2. 6.0L w/ Allison 6speed Auto
    Auto
    Tow/Haul Mode
    4x4 with electric locker rear

I use a 11k trailer (made for construction equipment) when I tow. Pintle Hook and 4 wheel brakes. Super heavy compared to a car trailer. But it tows real nice. I am at about 9k tow load when it is the Jeep and trailer and all of the equipment. I get about 14mpg at that point. Un loaded I am at about 16-18 on average... Should have gotten the diesels...

You dad with the F-250, there is something wrong there...
    I just put a chip and intake on a friends and he is getting 30+ but was getting 20+ before that.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• theres nothing wrong with the 250's mileage. the ford diesals factory stock get horrible mileage. outa the box the new 6.4l's get nothing better than 12-14 mpg. and the 6.0ls dont get much better it sounds just about right to me trust me i look at every avg mpg meter on them at work its fun to laugh at the people who drive them daily

• 2002 Chevy 2500HD
    6.6 Diesel
    5speed alison
    4x4
    Average 17 mpg daily with as high as 22 mpg (unloaded)
    Average 13-16 (Loaded)depending on load/highway/hills/fat passengers etc.....

Mine tows great. Once you have towed with a diesel, you will understand. The diesel tows my rig with ease up all the steep hills on the way to Rausch. The allison trans senses breaking underload and downshifts for you on steep hills which makes slowing down much better.
    BTW...My Jeep is not light, with 39.5s on steel wheels 1 ton axles, and lots of steel for bumpers/winchplates/crossmembers etc......

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I'll agree with you too Ed, my buddy just put one on his dads and he gets 22 with a f250 carrying a horse trailer loaded with a heavy foot.

• theres nothing wrong with the 250's mileage. the ford diesals factory stock get horrible mileage. outa the box the new 6.4l's get nothing better than 12-14 mpg. and the 6.0ls dont get much better it sounds just about right to me trust me i look at every avg mpg meter on them at work its fun to laugh at the people who drive them daily

:shrug: My CC LWB F350 got 14mpg w/ my TJ roundtrip to RC yesterday....and that's w/ the tuner dialed up. Does 18-20 normally unladen.

Of course, it is a 7.3

--Ian

Not trying to piss off any of the Dodge guys but I had a 1500 Hemi before I bought the Titan and I must say that the Titan does a far better job towing and it gets almost 2 MPG better.

Big difference between the 1500 and the 2500 HD. I don't feel any difference towing a trailer or not towing. Truck gets about 16 unladen and 13-14 fully loaded. No one ever said Dodge's got great mileage but they do pull very well. I've made many trips to RC towing the jeep fully loaded with gear at 65+ mph. Plenty of people can't keep up in their everyday vehicles. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• 5.7 Liter Hemi, 2500 4x4 and auto. I'd rather a diesel but $$ didn't allow. Never had a problem with keeping up with them though.

x2....mine's a longbed and I've had two 900 lb round bales of hay in the back while pulling a horse trailer without breaking a sweat, and the CJ on a U-haul trailer...it'll pass anything but a gas station.

• I don't have a tow rig but I've been around a few trucks.
    Gas would work fine for a weekend trail rig but go with the diesel's torque for towing if it goes beyond that.
    Don't know your exact needs/wants but a good used 7.3 Powerstroke or any Duramax with the Allison (although I am still not a fan of the rest of the truck) would be a good choice.
    Auto definitely and 4wd for the resale.

Here's a thread with some other opinions.
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=22957.0

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!