Rugged Ridge Diff. cover

• Well, for those that read the results from the Rausch Creek 7-25-09 thread, you would know that my rear differential cover somehow, somewhere lost the screw-in drain plug. So, I finally got a direct line to Rugged Ridge and they said "to bad, it is only a six month / 6,000 mile warranty". :censored: :censored:

So, either I can "tap" this and devise a plug, buy a different brand cover, or put my original back on. Since I'm doing major maintenance on the Jeep this month, I'll try "tapping" it first.

ERG! I'M JUST SO MAD! :bang: :bang:

• At first we tried 5/16 course threaded allen screw. Didn't work. Next, 3/8 course. After I got it in, it just kept turning...we even used Teflon tape to no avail. So, I wrapped it with electrical tape and used a few washers, then turned it until it was just snug. Held for the most part, just a very slow drip.

I'll take the cover off and check out the detailed situation.

Funny, Rugged Ridge has this advertised as "Indestructible! You wont break this cover. We guarantee it!"
    http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15548

True, the cover wasn't broken and even if it was I don't think they'd cover it. :shrug:

I'm calling them again. No Luck.
    I'll go to their website and see what is there.

• Got to there website. Found the "contact" and sent most of the information I provided here.

I'll wait and find out if they respond.

Oh yeah, the second person I spoke with (India voice) told me the same thing...6 months.

• My guess is metric.

Painted on the inside?? WTF. Guess its to prevent rust on the slow boat from china. Let my mom call them, they'll be sorry lol.

-Brad

If i get a chance I'll take the thread gauge over to Q-tec and test it on theirs.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Edited once, last by ruquik ().

• They sell oil plug repair kits.. Should be able to make one of them work.. Could also weld on a new bung.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• with Omix-Ada aka Rugged Ridge, no matter what you pay, it's junk. The only exception I can think of is their SYE kit. Sending Glen a PM.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Rugged Ridge typically does not make replacement parts available for individual sale. They all come in kits pre-packaged from China/wherever... all they do in the Georgia warehouse is ship them to the retailers like Quadratec, 4wd, etc. They'll only send replacement parts if there is a large batch of defects where they'll have a bunch shipped specially from overseas, otherwise they tell the retailers to replace defective stuff from their current inventory and send the original defective piece back to them for a credit.

Oh, when you call... you do speak to the people in Georgia, it's just low wage call takers, absolutely no experience with the products or Jeep tech knowledge. All they know is what's on their computer screen and installation sheet (off the website).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Oh, when you call... you do speak to the people in Georgia, it's just low wage call takers, absolutely no experience with the products or Jeep tech knowledge. All they know is what's on their computer screen and installation sheet (off the website).

Are we talking about a fill plug or a drain plug ?

• If it's not a metric thread, then it is probably a pipe thread.

Clever quotes added to a person's signature only aim to add more weight to an otherwise feeble point.

• Well I know you paid big bucks for it, but I would replace it anyhow and hang that one on a tree the next time you go wheeling. If you lost your plug on the trail, how did you get home? I'm guessing you trailered up?

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

• He lost it on the way up to RC, and then he temp fixed it with a random bolt with electrical tape wrapped around it.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Ive got the omix cover on the my rear d60....it seems fine, no where near as beefy as my rouff stuff front cover though. BTW I would bet that the plug is NTP.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• My e-mail worked. :spinrhead: Their reply is below. :up: :up:

Glen,

The plug is actually a ¼” Pipe thread plug. If you would like you can send me your address and I will send you a replacement. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 6:07 PM
    To: Omix-Ada
    Subject: Message from Omix-ada.com

Glen Fuller
    302-998-1667
    my rear differential cover somehow, somewhere lost the screw-in drain plug. So, I finally got a direct line to Rugged Ridge and they said "to bad, it is only a six month / 6,000 mile warranty". At first we tried 5/16 course threaded allen screw. Didn't work. Next, 3/8 course. After I got it in, it just kept turning...we even used Teflon tape to no avail. So, I wrapped it with electrical tape and used a few washers, then turned it until it was just snug. Held for the most part, just a very slow drip. I'll take the cover off and check out the detailed situation. Funny, Rugged Ridge has this advertised as "Indestructible! You wont break this cover. We guarantee it!" http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=15548 True, the cover wasn't broken and even if it was I don't think they'd cover it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!