Balancing Beads in your Tires...

• I am mounting a set of tires tomorrow, and am considering beads.

I used 8 oz of air soft bb's in a 33" MTZ (actually 3 of them) and it seemed okay, but they were chucked and had some rock rash.

These are brand new tires on brand new rims... I was hoping that balancing would be my least worry...

for the 35's I would use 10oz per tire, does anyone have a preference on airsoft bb's
    I know about the dyna beads, but they don't seem worth the $$.

Opinions or advice welcome...

• If you are stuck on BB's go for it but they'll probably spin balance just fine.

A spin balanced rim will be balanced 100% of the time and you don't have to deal with stupid stuff like beads freezing together and losing balance over bumps. I run balancing powder in my 37's and they worked well but for the 35's, spin balance is my preference.

• I just talked to a friend that owns a tire shop.. He said to run .5oz more weight in bb's than you would rim weights.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Meh, I've got equal in my trucks tires along with them being spin balanced (that's how Rickson does all their 19.5 stuff) and they're good but I ran airsofts in my boggers and they sucked. Until they were spinning a few miles an hour they had a pretty good wobble. IMHO on a 35" tire you'll be fine just spin balancing but... :shrug:

--Ian

• Meh, I've got equal in my trucks tires along with them being spin balanced (that's how Rickson does all their 19.5 stuff) and they're good but I ran airsofts in my boggers and they sucked. Until they were spinning a few miles an hour they had a pretty good wobble. IMHO on a 35" tire you'll be fine just spin balancing but... :shrug:

--Ian

Rickson takes balancing to the next level with loaded spin balancing... I have a set of 19.5's for my dodge I'm gonna take to them to balance after I drop in the Dana 80 in....

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• they work perfectly. and especially since you wheel your rig. when you nick off a piece of lug, it's off-balance. when you get a little mud or piece of rock stuck in your lug, it's off-balance. when you knock off one of the balancing weights, well, you get the idea. however, regardless of changes in the tires, the beads, by their very nature, stay balanced.

i'll never use weights again for any vehicle - jeep, car, truck, trailer...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I think you would be wasting your time and money with the bb's.

my tire place doesn't charge me additional. the way they see it - from a business perspective - is that it saves them a bunch of labor to just throw a bag of beads in the tire rather than spinning the tires and hammering the weights.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• i spin balanced - pretty good results...but wanted better.
    i tried dyna beads from innovative - horrible results...so definitely wanted better.
    i tried airsoft pellets - from below average to bad results...so yet again i wanted better results.
    i spin balanced and installed centramatics - not whisper smooth but the best results so far out of all the attempts.

i still think a good spin balance is the best...but am willing to try new things once in awhile.

• A spin balanced rim will be balanced 100% of the time...

i disagree, for the reasons i posted above

...and you don't have to deal with stupid stuff like beads freezing together...

i've read and participated in a few discussions about the beads, and i've never heard mention of freezing. :shrug: i have no idea whether or not they freeze together, but if they did, once the wheel gets spinning, the friction from that 'clump' being thrown around inside the tire would defrost them rather quickly. i've never noticed any loss of balance in the dead of winter.

...and losing balance over bumps.

at higher speeds, the centrifugal force pulling on the beads would instantaneously self-correct for bumps - or even snow getting caught in and dislodged from the tread.
    at slower speeds (say, under 15 mph) it doesn't matter whether or not your tires are balanced. :roll:

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Supposedly the powder can clump....

What ever works for you thou is what works......

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• I have dyna beads in my 37's, they worked great for the first 3yrs but now they arent' working so well. I think the fact that my jeeps sits contributes to the clumping of the beads.... I have enough to do 5 35's if you want it

• I had good results with the airsoft bbs with my 32" Bighorns. Of course, those tires take very little weight to balance anyhow. My 31s took an ounce at the most. One tire didn't need any weight. The wheel has something to do with that as well, I had nice alloy wheels (factory and Mickey Thompson).

From what I'd read before, you actually can use less weight with the dynamic balancing stuff (dynabeads, bbs, powder) because they correct the imbalance where the tire is actually bad, not at the wheel lip 8" away. But, theoretically you'll be fine with extra balancing media because it'll spread out around the tire after the imbalance is corrected. When I remount my new 35s onto my alloy wheels I'll probably use 10oz for each, just to be safe. Anything from Interco is hard to balance. :)

I used the heaviest ones I could find, 0.25gram bbs. That way I could use fewer bbs. The most common bbs are 0.12g.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Damn John, you broke my quote all up making it a PITA to answer back. :rolleyes:

i disagree, for the reasons i posted above

My MT Classic II's and MTZ's are hammered and chunked bad and haven't been re-balanced. Not a single hint of vibes through 80 MPH and I suck at spin balancing. :shrug:

i've read and participated in a few discussions about the beads, and i've never heard mention of freezing. :shrug: i have no idea whether or not they freeze together, but if they did, once the wheel gets spinning, the friction from that 'clump' being thrown around inside the tire would defrost them rather quickly. i've never noticed any loss of balance in the dead of winter.

It can happen over time when you air your tires up and down a lot from an undried source, hence creating moisture build-up. Yes, it will break up quickly but I like quicker results when it's a DD and I have a hot cup of coffee in my hand. (BTW, frozen/flat spotted 37" bias plys take FOREVER to smooth out! :laughing:)

Supposedly the powder can clump....

And you should run a filtered valve stem and try to air down with the valve stem on top. :doh: I don't recommend the bags of equal if you air down a lot. Otherwise, it works fine and since it goes in our trucks already, I just stole a few bags. ;)

FWIW, I'm not "anti" beads. I just think those MTR's will balance easily and for a daily driver will work better with weights. (I've never done it but I actually like Quadna's use of spin balancing and centramatics.)

To each his own.

• FWIW....When i had 35s and 37s I would get them spin balanced at NTB with the lifetime balance. Anytime i would go wheeling i would drop by afterwards no questions asked. However it was a bit of a pain. Typically rebalancing my tires after wheeling never made much difference anyway, as I usually had all kinds of other issues...(Loose bolts, shredded bushings, bent tierods, beat up tres and control arms etc.......).
    I now run 39.5 Bias Iroks with a ton of airsoft beads(dont know the exact amount) about a 2 solo(beer pong) cups worth. I started with 1 cup and ended up adding another, and it seemed to work better. Between the 12 bolt bead locks and 8 lug axles, I have 80 nuts to remove in order to experiment some more, so needless to say, im calling it good for now. Had a bad shimmy for a while but i recently tried lowering the air pressure from 30 lbs to 25 and that made a huge difference. Im almost as smooth as my spin balanced 37s once they are warmed up. My .02

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Ok, I flipped flopped between Dynabeads and Centramatic rings. Certainly the rings are way easier, but $199 plus $20 shipping is a tough pill to swallow. Ended up buying an off brand ceramic bead for $42 shipped. Kit comes with filtered shrader valves and 4- 8oz bags of beads.

So when they come in , I can either crack open the bead or feed them in through the valve stem. Recommendations?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I can see trying to feed them through the valve stem ending up with a bunch of beads all over the floor. :hmm: Unless you make a straw to go over the valve stem tightly. Then got a cheap small funnel for the other end of the straw to pour into.

That might work. :shrug: Or will end up with a bunch of beads all over the floor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I got my ceramic beads in. 8oz per wheel. also came with filtered valve stems. I will try the throught the stem method. I read it goes smooth if you use an engraving tool to vibrate the stem while feeding them through a tube conencted to a small plastic bottle. I'll report how it goes, too damn cold and windy to be bothered today.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!