Short bed or long bed CJ10a?

• :laughabove:

The 'fuel tank' is the best!

Did you stretch it or a PO? Looks like a decent job from the pics. I take it the top was modded with the corners to fit 'normal' doors or did some -10's come like that? I thought they all had the squared uppers. TJ mirrors? You modding the stock tcase for high range and 4wd or swapping it out?

I'm liking where this is going....diesel, 1-tons, all/mostly surplus. Makes the perfect DD truck with a face only a mother could love.

--Ian

• what is the bump on the upper left of the grill?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Might be for a block heater.

Block heater, Oil Heater, Battery Heater, Fuel Heater.

It goes to a junction box in the firewall with a screw in 20a fuse. Most of the stuff is old/corroded/etc, but I am keeping the box. It is too cool to give up.

• :laughabove:

The 'fuel tank' is the best!

I had to get it running on something... I havent gone into the fuel tank it came with yet.

Did you stretch it or a PO? Looks like a decent job from the pics.

Actually done by the PPO, but it does look sufficient and it should stay unless there is another issue.

I take it the top was modded with the corners to fit 'normal' doors or did some -10's come like that? I thought they all had the squared uppers. TJ mirrors?

I have no idea when the top was modified, but there is a filler plate added. I think it was done in the service, because it still has a military applied paint job that was painted before the stock weight box was removed.

I was seriously considering doing it myself when I got the Jeep, but it was done for me. Now I can use my soft doors and the roof, and replacing doors will be much easier.

I guess they are TJ mirrors?

You modding the stock tcase for high range and 4wd or swapping it out?

It came with a D300, twin sticked, bolted up and ready to go :roll:

I'm liking where this is going....diesel, 1-tons, all/mostly surplus. Makes the perfect DD truck with a face only a mother could love.

--Ian

Exactly where I am going with this pig. It should get 20-30 MPG, parts are very cheap and easy to get. I have to re gear them, but my axles were 300 bucks... delivered... H1 wheels/rubber inserts/98% MTs were $650, mounted, balanced and ready to go. I have $100 in the bed. With the 14b I never have to worry about breaking anything, and the 10b I have lots of spare parts for.

The motor is "wierd", but most of the parts cross with a IH Scout. Tranny is special, but its a TF727. Tough as nails, easy to rebuild. Stock Jeep D300, easy to upgrade if I wish.

Most of the other parts are a direct match for Wagoneer or CJ.

Plus, its unique and ugly.

It doesnt get much better!

• Picked up anther 10b front, geared with 4.88's and a Detroit, swapped the 8 lug outers on it. Everything spins nice and easy now, one less thing to worry about.

Working on the bed. About 46 inches front center line to front bulk head, 36 inches to the tail gate. It looks pretty good sitting on the ground! We will see how it looks on the truck later.

• looking good! can't wait to see the finished product

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• That front end looks like the YJ Renegade package! Got to love it though. I bet it will ride like a brick!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Oh to live in a place without 2 feet of snow on the ground. Well, off to work in the heated garage. ;D

Looks good,
    Aaron

• I am in complete envy. This seems to be a project that will be both tasteful and functional. I doubt you will ever see 30 mpgs from it but who cares. You will have something no one else does and you built it. Hats off. I know where there are a few more military jeeps like that.

• I am in complete envy. This seems to be a project that will be both tasteful and functional. I doubt you will ever see 30 mpgs from it but who cares. You will have something no one else does and you built it. Hats off. I know where there are a few more military jeeps like that.

3.3l diesel... Cummins guys can get 20+ on the highway with a much heavier truck and a much bigger motor...

25 is probably a little more reasonable, but 30 on the highway would not surprise me. The down side is it only makes about 120-130 HP and is going to be a little, um, slow! I have seen reports of 24 (Around town) to 36 (probably cant do math!) with this motor/trans combo, even with 37's. One way to find out...

Thanks for the comments!

• Looks awesome Gavan. Did you get the t-case swapped? How far from drivable is it?

Twin Sticked D300 for the transfer.

Punchlist to make it drivable:

Steering (have 3 steering columns to make into 1, just got Rockstomper D44 High steer arms to clear the H1's, going to order the Ballistic steering arm kit for the tie rod/drag link)

Brakes (Front is together, rear needs a little love with a 14b disk swap)

Mount Bed

Wire in tail lights

Street useable:

Shocks

Re-gear 14b to 4.88

Exhaust

Longer term:

New injectors and turbo

• Looks sweet; sort of like a mining truck.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!