Looking for advice on a JK

• Id get the Rubi. Is better to have the extras in case you decide to wheel it later down the road.

I concur. Maybe you never use the lockers but it sure is nice knowing they are there if you need them. Plus it is a great all-around package. I specced one out today... :mrgreen:

• See I took the easy way out. I found a sahara unlimited already lifted with 35's but I also wasnt looking to buy new. If I could do it all over again I'm not so sure I would have bought the rubi then either, maybe if I got a smokin deal on it. I by no stretch am going to wheel it hard core, but she does just fine not locked on the blue trails with the little blacks off of blues. I think either way you can't go wrong I am very happy with how my jeep does not locked and all. Just my 2 cents for what ever that is worth.

• It depends on what options you want too. In my case I paid $21k for my sport since i didn't get the power locks or 17" wheels I would replace anyways. A base 2 door rubi which comes with that stuff was $29k. For $8k I could buy a brand new rubi 44 front with 35spline arb and rcv shafts geared to whatever I wanted, a rear 35 spline arb, chromoly axles for the rear and an atlas. That would be a lot better combo then the factory stuff if you ever wanted to get hard core with it down the road.

• I would get the Rubicon. Simply because it will do what you want it to do. 35's are easy 2 inch lift and you are rolling 35's with enough flex to run any blue trail at Rausch and most mild blacks. With the 4:10 gears and 35's on the beach you could cruise up and down the beach with ease. I would wait a few more months for the release of the new engine suppose to be better.

On the modding side I know of a few JK's running 40 and 42 inch tires on then with the D44's all they did was regear and new axle shafts. So there should be no need in going to 60's unless you would like to say I have TONS under it or you upgrade to a 6.1 hemi. Just my two pennies

• Well you could always get the new liberty since it won't see mud and it will just be to go shopping in

Hey when Amanda asks me to get groceries, i can just hop in my TJ and get them.... unless you got the Flintstone moblie, looks like your non jeep runnin ass is starvin :razz:

Go buy a new Rubi and I'll trade you my 2010 Sport running on 35's :up: Deal?

Or I'll trade you my TJ and Tacoma for your JK :up:

I won't trade for it but is you do want to sell I may be interested in it depending on year, condition, and price of course. My wife wants to go back to school so turning in her currently leased car in December and just out right buying a used one would be ideal over getting a new one. I think she'll agree to a wrangler and when she's done with it and making the big bucks and can make it into a trail rig or something. :mrgreen:

• Hey when Amanda asks me to get groceries, i can just hop in my TJ and get them.... unless you got the Flintstone moblie, looks like your non jeep runnin ass is starvin :razz:

If you would, please send me the info on and any pics you have of the Tacoma, I am looking. :up:

• Maybe clear up your intentions a little bit? Do you simply want the 35's for aesthetics and going on the beach? Are you going to go to RC at all with this? If it is strictly a street jeep that will go to the beach every now and then, the cost difference between the sport and rubicon really might not be worth what you want the jeep to do.

• Still vote the same, Rubicon FTW. Worth the money with the overall package considered. :up:

Very few people that buy Jeeps do so with "plans to take it to RC or any wheeling".

But it happens, and if/when it does it'll be nice to have the extra capability.

Couldn't begin to count how many threads there have been on this site alone of people asking about upgrading their axles, gears, brakes, etc. after they bought a Jeep that lacked what they wished they had from the start.

• Very few people that buy Jeeps do so with "plans to take it to RC or any wheeling".

But it happens, and if/when it does it'll be nice to have the extra capability.

Couldn't begin to count how many threads there have been on this site alone of people asking about upgrading their axles, gears, brakes, etc. after they bought a Jeep that lacked what they wished they had from the start.

these are wise words from keith. here is an example...

i bought a bone stock 98tj. all i wanted was a 4wd and a convertible.

off the bat, i just upgraded from the tiny 27 inch tires to 31x10.5's. then i thought it would probably look better with a 2 inch bb. after a while i thought i could probably squeeze 33's on and put a set on. realized that i couldnt fit them and decided to add a 1 inch body lift and wider flares. still rubbed. then i put on a 4 inch short arm lift. now i can fit 35's and plan to add them in the future. with the plans to go to 35's and the already slow jeep with the anemic 4cyl, i swapped to 4.88 gears. it is still pokier than i would like and plan to swap in a 4.3L someday. during all of thisthis, one of my friends got me into wheeling and i realized the limited capabilities of an un-locked vehicle on certian obstacles and added ox lockers front and rear.

i initially did not intend to do any wheeling and look how much money i wasted (if you do add it up, dont tell me, i really dont want to know.)

i guess im not telling you what i think you should do, but truly assess the likelihood of any offroad activities you MIGHT do in the future and base your decision off of that. just hope that you can use my experience to help make the best decision for you and what you will do with your jeep.

:driving:

• So the other day, my wife said out of the blue " You can get a JK if you get rid of your jeep and truck".

So the really big question here is....does your wife have a sister?! :innocent: You're a lucky man!

My 1998 TJ is my first Wrangler and my first vehicle to be "built up." It was pretty stock when I bought it. Four years and a heck of a lot of energy and money later, it's not the queen of the trails, but it's fairly capable. However... if I knew then what I know now, I would have been more patient and purchased a Rubicon. From my perspective, there's something to be said for having a "street legal" off-road package designed and installed by the factory. Plus, as many here know, I'm not super mechanical. You'd better make peace with your inner soul first, though, because if your true subconscious, deep-down goal is to have a bad a$$, head-turning, rock-crawling ride -- more than just trail capable -- you might need to build it. Good luck!!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!