Server move starting tonight

• Um yeah, remember when the Amazon "cloud" crashed and burned? That wasn't supposed to be able to happen. Lol Server and network architecture/reliability are still only as good as their weakest link...

Companies lost data, permanently. :o Their letter was almost comical. Aside from screwing up several websites for a few days, the data loss was unforgivable.
    Here is the letter from Amazon. How pissed would you be to get this? :laughing:
    http://www.sklartechnology.com…ta-loss-for-many-clients/

Ah Bob Ross. I remember watching him as a kid and yelling at the TV because I swore he was destroying his painting. 10 minutes later...masterpiece. Dude is awesome. (And his heart rate probably never rose above 40 BPM the whole time. LOL)

• Interesting. The main reason I asked is because the class I'm taking at WU has an entire chapter about Cloud computing and how it's labeled as the next BIG WAVE of advancement; Web 3.0.

That article is really something....not only is Amazon saying they lost your data and can't get it back in useable form but they will issue storage charges if you don't delete it? WTF?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• The cloud can be defined as many different service offerings and as I just learned can also be Sal.

I work for Hosting.com the "Cloud" that we sell is just VMware virtual machines sold to customers for use for what they need. This does not have the issues like the Amazon cloud which is an entirely different service. Ian is right because the marketing folks can call many different things "cloud"

• I am the cloud.

I am so tempted to have some Photoshop fun with that....:)

As others have said, half the problem with the cloud is everyone defines it differently. At work our companies Lead IT Architect asked a bunch of us engineers to find out if the cloud is something we should invest in. We scheduled a meeting with him and asked him to define what the cloud is. It was fun to watch him squirm. :) Needless to say that request was dropped.

Many people look at it what BFrank said, the ability to spin up many (often virtual) servers on short notice. E.g. I have a farm of web servers and my company is having a crazy sale and getting 10x the traffic we normally do so let me spin up a bunch of servers in the cloud temporarily to take the load. The best is when sales guys try to talk about the 'private cloud' when you own the hardware. How that really differs than what we have now is beyond me, it's just a buzzword that needs to die. I did a presentation at the Storage Networking World conference in Dallas last year and one of my slides was titled 'The Obligatory Cloud Slide' which got a good laugh (yes, I'm a geek =]).

There are a lot of reasons why you would want to use services like this...Salesforce.com is the lifeblood of many businesses...a small company without a full IT staff or room for a datacenter and cooling can have access to services without a major capital investment...sending your backups offsite over the internet can automate backups a lot of small businesses would otherwise not do...the ability to scale resources in a short period of time to meet demand is a very powerful tool BUT none of this is revolutionary. VMware has been around for several years, outsourcing has been around forever, it's just a name to help a sales guy.

• Here's a couple presentations from a conference last week if anyone wants to get their nerd on and read:

DIY: Build Your Own Private and/or Hybrid Storage Cloud
    http://media.techtarget.com/se…s/Storage_Cloud_Marks.pdf

The Truth About Cloud Storage: What Is It, Do You Need It and How Can You Use It?
    http://media.techtarget.com/se…h_About_Cloud_Staimer.pdf

• There are a lot of reasons why you would want to use services like this...Salesforce.com is the lifeblood of many businesses...

Services like Salesforce and one that I use Evernote are good examples of how I like to define a cloud. But that could also be defined as SaS (Software as a Service.)

EMC and VMware got together and started this marketing campaign of Private and Public Clouds using their combined Storage and Virtualization technologies. That really added confusion to how the market defines cloud. Before that you had Amazon and Microsoft and then Apple had to jump into the fun and those all brought "cloud" mainstream and confused everyone.

• man, I still haven't seen it for me. you guys spend too much time on here. ;)

my hunch is that it's a temporary error connecting to the database server, but I'm supposed to get an email if that happens.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• calm down Sal. lol

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• I believe the problem comes as a result of connection error with the database server. For the DB geeks, I turned on persistent connections, maybe that'll help. Dunno.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!