Trailer on the Surf

• This came up in conversation with a buddy last night and I was curious how it would work.

I had no problems but there was a couple spots I really felt the trailer pulling and there was a chance of getting stuck.

Has anyone else brought a camping trailer out on the sand? How'd you do?

Pic of me today with an empty trailer...full would have been a different story:

• I've taken mine out a few times but its a utility trailer and have had no troubles at all. It weighs like 500lbs and I had like 6 people in it and has 15" tires.

I guess it would depend on the weight, a little Scotty should be easy but a bigger one might be an issue.
    Most camping trailers have pretty small tires and this would cause trouble. Especially if you start dragging your trailer rather than it rolling.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I would worry most in the dry summer when the ruts can be quite deep.

Depending on the tire size, you could end up dragging the trailer axle through the high sand which would really hurt performance.

• A 4 door JK with every square inch not occupied by a warm body packed with gear (if you have been on the beach with him you know what I'm talking about ;)) and two baskets wasn't enough? Dude...

Think of the possibilities. Full propane gill, beer tap coming out the side of the trailer, enclosed cooler, tons more storage. When the DEJA group get's together on the beach, we already do it better than anyone out there. This would take it to a whole new level. :mrgreen:

I would love to take my trainer out on the beach sometime but haven't yet. I would think the wider tires would make it float real well on the sand...

After camping with you, your trailer is what got me thinking more seriously about it. The wider tires would be key to handle any weight on the sand. :up:

Hmmmm, might be time to start looking. :suspicious:

• I've wanted to take mine out after a few more mods (grill mount, cooler, pole rack) but I need to mod the tow vehicle w/ a new drivetrain before that...hence why it was left at the campsite last year. Jen's TJ bogs down enough even in 4low that I'd be afraid the trailer would put it over the edge. Would be real nice as it always seems like w/ the 3 of us and gear that we're crammed in a TJ like sardines. You're welcome to borrow mine sometime, it's a little better equipped being SOA w/ 35's than that 'cute' thing you've got. :razz:

--Ian

• A 4 door JK with every square inch not occupied by a warm body packed with gear (if you have been on the beach with him you know what I'm talking about ;) ) and two baskets wasn't enough? Dude...

:laughabove: Was wondering why there was gear hanging out of the rear window but nothing on the trailer.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• i dont think you can take your trailer out there legally. has to be a motorized 4wheeled vehicle..

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• i dont think you can take your trailer out there legally. has to be a motorized 4wheeled vehicle..

There is nothing anywhere that says you can't.

Only mention of trailers in the State Park Regs is that they must be registered, highway legal, have lights, tag, etc.

• Trickiest spots are almost always the ramps.

I can just see you with your PA tag blocking the ramp with not only a Jeep, but also a trailer. ;D

I don't think I'll try IRI anytime soon. I have enough pics of me buried on the interweb. :laughing:

That one is purty. I saw a local one that was nice but I lost the guys number. It was more money than the one you posted too.

There is nothing anywhere that says you can't.

Only mention of trailers in the State Park Regs is that they must be registered, highway legal, have lights, tag, etc.

Exactly. Technically a dually truck on the surf is more illegal than me with a trailer. ;)

• i didnt think a patato gun was illegal to get your bait out farther but it is. i couldnt find thwt rule anywhere until i got the fine for it. im out on the beach all the time i live like 30 minutes from it when i see another ranger which is rare right now out there ill ask him see if i can get a straight answer... but im pretty sure its a no go. f

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• i didnt think a patato gun was illegal to get your bait out farther but it is. i couldnt find thwt rule anywhere until i got the fine for it. im out on the beach all the time i live like 30 minutes from it when i see another ranger which is rare right now out there ill ask him see if i can get a straight answer... but im pretty sure its a no go. f

What was the fine for?

I mean did it say "Potato gun on the beach" ?

• no it said i was in violation of some code and its was actually using a propulsion device and or mechanical caster... i looked it up and its true... hell they were trying to ban kayak fishing this year but a bunch of us fought it. And i did see only two axled vehicles are allowed on beach im just trying to find my stupid book that has the rules. because i definately would of had one out there already. You do see alot of truck camper conversions out there right now.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!