** Big Dogs Spring Fling 2012 Trail Report **

• I think I got more sleep this afternoon than I did all weekend. :)

Day 1 started off on V-trail where Asstape walked right up the hill TheMistaken barely conquered a couple years ago and 2000Sahara rolled on last year it like it was nothing as a result of his new tires that actually have tread and suspension. KnoxRents walked up too after a small mis-start. JeffsJK (it's really a pain in the ass trying to remember what everyones name is on the board btw ;) ) tried to position the short bus for a run but couldn't get it lined up. We took a new trail at the top of V-trails hill over to Boulder and ran half of that back to the access road where we searched for the elusive Secret Trail. We thought we found it but it ended up hitting a dead end maybe 500 feet in. We ventured over to hit Extreme Trail (rated a 10) which we had never done before. Ran that downhill and it wasn't too bad with gravity in our favor. Uphill I can imagine it being much worse. Nevertheless, the Big Blue Blazer's axle ubolts pooped the bed and it limped out with some Big League Chew (or maybe it was a ratchet strap) holding it in place. My battery died on my phone around that point since Spedly's Jeep was off for a while so I lost the My Tracks recording of the day. I'm pretty sure we headed back to camp at that point but maybe we did one more trail. Asstape was down a tooth or two on his rear ring gear by this point.

Janx. Turkey Fryer. Nuff said.

Day 2 started off with Attack of Whatever We Fried Last Night aka Revenge of the Mud Butt. Again, nuff said. :) Big Blue Blazer had gotten dropped off to Mad Matt the onsite welder/repair guy to replace the Big League Chew and we headed off on what ended up being the scenic route to Trickle. JeffsJK straddled his softtop frame around a tree and then Spedly dry humped it on the way by as well. They also both decided that JKs look better with only driver side taillights. I hear it's the new hot look for Spring '12. Off to run Corum uphill where a couple people broke off to run parallel on Cobra then we did Pennsyltuckian downhill. JeffsJK decided that ripped sidewalls are also in style and a tire change was needed. The trail boss, seeing that everything was completely under control by the on hand members of DEJA, continued on down the trail. :innocent: Spedly's JK decided while it has previous followed the lead of JeffsJK when it came to damage, was unable to rip a tire. This is most likely due to the superior spotting of the previously mentioned trial boss. :rollsmile: After Pennsyltuckian we called it a day and headed back to camp.

Random thoughts:
    People at Enterprise RentACar are dumb
    If JeffsJK and I were ever in a dual to the death with guns, we would both shoot each other at exactly the same time
    Apparently it's possible to read 50 Shades of Gray while trail riding
    I think fried Oreos give you mud butt. Maybe it was the black oil.
    Nissan Pathfinders are not comfortable to sleep in
    If you give Jman your raffle tickets he will win a crap load of stuff
    Billy and Aaron can now go anywhere.
    We need to reserve the campsite across from the Port a Potties under a fake name so the people in the trailer can't have it
    When you shoot high explosives with an AR-15 it's really really loud.
    Shooting plasma tv's and fire extinguishers is good old fashioned stress relief.
    Beer makes Spedly quieter than Solomi, janx makes him almost as loud as Sean.
    Whatever.

• Had a great time as always, glad to see everyone who made it down. Can't wait to get my Jeep back in order and tackle Pennsyltucky (up!).

Pics: http://s295.photobucket.com/al…Big%20Dogs%20June%202012/

Some of my fans:

Boys and their toys

Bill conquering the last rock in corum:

Aaron looking determined:

Jeff showing us what that short bus can do:

Spedly having a good time:

Bill kickin' it on V-trail:

I tried to run around and get shots of everyone, and after a few hours of critiquing and touching things up, I think everyone made it in the "pile that's not too embarrassing to post online". See link above.

• It was an awesome weekend with the best weather we've ever had.

The JK's (JeffsJK and Spedly) owned the trails this weekend by doing every trail with minimal damage and no mechanical failures.

I haven't pulled the video from my GoPro or regular camera but here are some shots from my phone for now.

The Chris Hall photo bomb with Aaron and I being posers.

The militia.

Midnight Rider making a dent look good.

We don't just mess with Sal.
    http://i916.photobucket.com/al…2/IMG_20120608_225623.jpg

Deep fried Pop Tarts.
    http://i916.photobucket.com/al…2/IMG_20120608_220701.jpg

• Great pics! Geoff's report 99% complete, just want to add the entire group ran "Trickle" and when Wayne and I wimped out on going down Pennsyltuckian (we can blame it on my overheating problem or needing our Jeeps to get home) we ran "U Turn hard" and "Wahoo".

Observations:
    Fire is good
    Deep frying everything is good
    We eat a lot of Chicken
    Beer is good
    Beer and Janks ?????
    Fan clutches do more than I thought
    4.5 hrs driving an open YJ on the highway is tiring
    Had a Great weekend!

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

Edited once, last by shorebird ().

• Awesome trip again for sure.
    Lessons learned- bring more than 200 rounds of ammo, Stafford shouldn't mess with me, he gets locked in the porta potty, Stafford shouldn't give me the keys to a rental after I have had janx or in general. Pathfinder rentals make great drifting and jumping trucks. Anything can be deep fried, just watch fingers that shit hurts. The short bus likes trees that jump out in front of it cause it hits them all. Downed trees with stumps suck. Spedley hits everything I hit exactly the same way, it's a jk thing. Spedley doesn't shut up when he drinks, Sal becomes ever quieter when he drinks and Aaron likes penis in his ear when he drinks.

Awesome trip, great group. Props to Randy and Wayne for driving their rig and still wheelin it. I cant wait until the next trip.

• it was a real good weekend even though i broke some teeth off the ring gear. just another excuse to upgrade, just hope the wallet has enough in it. btw, aaron does not like penis in his ear at any time. cant wait for the next trail ride.

aaron

• Here's a couple videos from the hill climb at the end of V-Trail. They aren't nearly as eventful as 2000Sahara's but it was a fun climb nonetheless.

Aaron making it look easy. His engine sounds so much more bad ass with the new pipes and larger tires bringing the RPM's down a little.
    [youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

Me from a first person perspective. Skip to 1:00 to avoid Geoff jumping in the passenger seat right after I hit the record button. (I was too lazy to edit it out.)
    [youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

• Bill, pics never do it justice, but V hill looks easier? maybe you and Aaron just made it look that easy? last year at the roundup, no-one including the guide could make that climb.

The bottom wasn't any easier and likely a little harder, hence my rear diff getting hung up, but the top didn't have that nasty lip to it that stopped your momentum. Both of us needed a good bit of wheel speed at the top but it wasn't nearly as bad as in the past.

And yeah....like you said, the video doesn't do it justice at all.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!