spooled rear

• i will be doing a ford 8.8 axle swap on my TJ this fall. while looking at locker options for both the ford as well as my D30 I came across a couple of write ups that compare what all is available. from what i've read i like the idea of a mini spool for the rear axle. from what the write up said, this set up works especially well on short wheel base vehicles on the rear axle, with the primary down side hearing the tires chirp a bit while making hard turns. my jeep is more of a weekend driver with some miles put on it through the week but it is not my primary driver. Does anyone on here have a spool set up on their daily driver and if so what is your experience with the set up.

• Do NOT put a spool on a jeep that sees street use. You will absolutely see horrible tire wear and you will also hate it in bad weather. Off street use it's great but you will still experience hard turning

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I ran a spool for a couple years in my Black YJ.

I spit out the DS 4 times and killed a yoke, bent up the muffler and killed the tires..

Not too mention boggers in rain with a spool... :bang: :bang:

Dont be a tight wad and buy a damn locker.

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• counter point, I have had 2 spooled rigs, both times where a good experience. I did drive them on the street and never minded the chirping or handling. Spools are strong (never broke one, and have broken Detroits etc)
    can count on traction to both wheels.

• from what the write up said, this set up works especially well on short wheel base vehicles on the rear axle

This is the opposite of everything I've ever experienced with locked vehicles. :shrug:
    A longer wheel base can put more leverage on the rear axles while turning so a spool wouldn't be as noticeable in a LWB as it would in a SWB. It will still drag a tire.

Another thing to consider is how a short arm lift will react to a spool. When you go into a hard turn, the control arms will push hard upward on the frame causing it to twist. It's not as noticeable with a long arm but with a SA, I remember pulling out into traffic making a hard left and thinking I was going to roll from the the axle wanting to go straight and twisting the frame as it turned. :o

• I appreciate all of the feedback guys, after making a deal in the swap meet with a guest of DEJA on an 8.8 rear, he has pm'd me this morning to tell me after our deal was agreed on that he is selling to another party instead..... oh well.... if anybody knows of a rubicon 44 0r a worthy 8.8 let me know....i know for sure that i am not putting any $$into the 35 in place now.

• This is the opposite of everything I've ever experienced with locked vehicles. :shrug:
    A longer wheel base can put more leverage on the rear axles while turning so a spool wouldn't be as noticeable in a LWB as it would in a SWB. It will still drag a tire.

Another thing to consider is how a short arm lift will react to a spool. When you go into a hard turn, the control arms will push hard upward on the frame causing it to twist. It's not as noticeable with a long arm but with a SA, I remember pulling out into traffic making a hard left and thinking I was going to roll from the the axle wanting to go straight and twisting the frame as it turned. :o

in the link below there is an article in JP magazine, under the spool write up they say that they prefer a spool set up on short wheel base vehicles...

http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech…ker_overview/viewall.html

• in the link below there is an article in JP magazine, under the spool write up they say that they prefer a spool set up on short wheel base vehicles...

http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech…ker_overview/viewall.html

Gotcha. I think you took that out of context.

[quote author=JPMagazine]and we actually prefer one in the rear of a short-wheelbase vehicle over an automatic locker. Since there's never any loading or unloading, you don't get the jerking or banging associated with automatic lockers

Read more: http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech…iewall.html#ixzz22IVUC2Kq[/quote]

In the same article:

[quote author=JPMagazine]Detroit Locker
    Overview: The Detroit Locker is an automatic locker that uses heavy springs and geared teeth to allow the outside wheel to spin faster when turning. In most applications the Detroit Locker is a replacement case, but for some axles-such as for the GM 14-bolt, Dana 70, and Rockwell-it drops into the stock carrier. We like them for front applications best, but have used them in the rear of longer-wheelbase vehicles with much success.

Read more: http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech…iewall.html#ixzz22IVtaqmF[/quote]

I'm reading that as if they would prefer a Detroit in a long wheel base vehicle over a short but between the two in a SWB vehicle, a spool is more predictable than an automatic. I don't totally agree with that logic but I understand what they are getting at. They aren't saying it is better in a SWB than a LWB vehicle. That's what threw me off from your first post. ;)

• sorry about that...this locker stuff is new to me, too many choices lol.... astape suggested the detroit lockers for my front axle, i'm pretty sure that's the one i am going to go with.

• I've got a detroit in the rear. When I do it over again it will be getting some sort of selectable in the back. I have to back up a lot on the trails and sometimes that costs me the line I want. I do like the detroit in the front though. It is invisible on the street and I never have to worry about it not locking up for one reason or another on the trail.

• I use to run a lock-right in the front of mine. It was tough, cheap and just plain worked. I exploded 2-3 shafts wheeling with it and the locker was still fine. Sal now beats the snot out of my old axles/Locker and as far as I know it's still holding up. I also use to run a Detroit in the rear which would unload around hard corners, scare small children and would still cause some scrubbing of the tires. You sorta ignored it after a while. Mine was an auto however and probably had way less loading and unloading than a manual equipped jeep.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• just about any locker (non-selectable) in the rear will make the back end spin out or drift much easier in the snow. you can get used to this and if you plan for it, you can do ok, but this is something to consider if you have a wife, kid, non jeeper ever use it in the snow. for what its worth, i have an ox and i love it, however it can be a pain to get the cable shifter set up initially (at least for the older ones)

• Keith, i had every intention of regearing as i thought i had bought an 8.8 from a guest in the swap meet, they backed out this morning after we had made a deal. I was going with the stock 4.10 in the ford and was going to regear my D30 up front and also lock it. the plan was to lock the 8.8 too. I can't see locking the 35 after reading all of posts regarding the 35's weakness. for now, until i find another rear i am just going to concentrate on locking the front. it seems that alot of folks here have positive things to say about the lock right set up, maybe i'll give it a try. I am running 33's currently but when i find an upgrade rear axle i think i will go to 35's

• Keith, i had every intention of regearing as i thought i had bought an 8.8 from a guest in the swap meet, they backed out this morning after we had made a deal. I was going with the stock 4.10 in the ford and was going to regear my D30 up front and also lock it. the plan was to lock the 8.8 too. I can't see locking the 35 after reading all of posts regarding the 35's weakness. for now, until i find another rear i am just going to concentrate on locking the front. it seems that alot of folks here have positive things to say about the lock right set up, maybe i'll give it a try. I am running 33's currently but when i find an upgrade rear axle i think i will go to 35's

I ran the LR in the front for 6 or 7 years.

It's a great mod for not a lot of money.

And it's an easy install.

Smart, a Dana35 is a turd, The sad part is there is a can of worms with almost every axle swap. (Gears, lockers , rebuild kits , labor, brakes) Sometimes I think its better to just buy a well built Jeep someone has already dumped a ton of money into.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• i understand that Steve, but building your rig yourself and getting to know your rig inside and out is priceless, besides buying a well built jeep is subject to what the previous owner considered "well built" :mrgreen:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!